Assassin’s Creed Origins

tempted by this, the whole DRM thing, is it and the game prone to loading up certain cores to do people with higher core counts suffer less issues?

currently running a 1600x and 390 if there are known AMD issues.

I think you underestimate the lengths publishers will go to to ensure as many people part with their money as possible, regardless of the quality of the product, especially if they buy through a non refundable platform (uPlay)

On my 5960x in a majority of the game I am fine for most the part with the GPU being the limit on performance, but core usage is fairly high on a few. In the very dense city the CPU usage can be pretty high with 1 of my cores pegged near 100%. Probably normal given the amount going on in terms of NPC's and what not. my FPS drops to 40s at time in the cities, so not sure how it impacts other's, but even then its relatively playable and worth it for those few spots IMO.

I'll buy it at some point, just waiting on more sane prices. CD keys want like £40 for this.... :rolleyes:
Keep checking the Members Market as OCUK are sending out the codes soon for people who buy a Hard Drive from them Ubisoft are including a Uplay game code with some models but you have to wait 2 weeks before OCUK are allowed to send it to you so there are bound to be a load turn up very soon.

Like a fool I've gone and bought this, knowing full well it has no SLI support. Initial findings on my 5930k (6 core/12 threads at 4.3Ghz) system with x2 980Ti's...

At 3440x1440 (x34 with gsync). Only messed around in the first portion of the game, the village type area...

- Performance on x1 980Ti is disappointing at 3440x1440, probably to be expected. Have set most settings to max but with a mix of very high and a few high. As others have noted the game isn't very scalable and changing settings to medium or even low makes little difference to overall frame rate. Getting between around 43 and 60fps max.

- CPU usage is reasonably high, about 60% average I'd say, and spread across all cores and threads

- GPU usage is poor. Only goes to about 80% power max that I've seen so far (I have widgets on second monitor). The game should be maxing out a single 980ti as its not totally maxing out my 5930k so is not CPU bound on my rig. There is some optimization to be had here by drivers and or ubisoft.

- Overall I'm quite disappointed with the visuals so far. They are not as good, although v similar to Ghost Recon Wildlands. The main thing is the overal 'muddiness' / awful softness to the image with any of the ingame AA options applied. It looks like TXAA is going on for all of them!
If I turn off in game AA totally it's better (regarding softness), but still not great, and bizarrely the performance is worse. Framerate is higher with AA set to low vs AA off! > Something very odd is going on here regarding the ingame AA.
I've therefore settled on AA set to low ingame (which I suspect is FXAA, but don't know), but have applied a simple sweetFx/ reshade profile with some aggressive sharpening (1.95!) to combat the very soft image. This is way more sharpening than I'd normally apply with sweetfx, but this game needs it.

-
Also, I find the texture quality to be a bit lacking to be honest. Feels like we've been cheated by fairly low res assets as max GPU mem usage is about 4GB that I've seen so far.

Needs SLI support adding asap! Will post further thoughts or tweaks as I find em if anyone's interested....

Last edited:
Just been running around some collecting resources to upgrade stuff and saw this. Looks a tad painful but considering the chap is dead I am guessing he don't really care. :p

or68xff.jpg

xmIyLpc.jpg

Then thought I jump back to Siwa since I left one objective there because when I had Senu scot the location and saw they had Red Skulls I just left it. Now at level 18 I thought I be ok but to my surprise they still Red Skulls. So, I just sneaked in and stole the artifacts there anyway. :p If anyone know their actually level it would be fun to know though.

JqjbShL.jpg

While at it maybe someone can help me out here. Not highly important but if possible would be nice to have the colors a bit more vibrant. Or it might be looking a bit washed out due to the hight and amount of details it has to take in ?? Using a Samsung S34E790C screen.

5mhZbEX.jpg

Like a fool I've gone and bought this, knowing full well it has no SLI support. Initial findings on my 5930k (6 core/12 threads at 4.3Ghz) system with x2 980Ti's...

At 3440x1440 (x34 with gsync). Only messed around in the first portion of the game, the village type area...

- Performance on x1 980Ti is disappointing at 3440x1440, probably to be expected. Have set most settings to max but with a mix of very high and a few high. As others have noted the game isn't very scalable and changing settings to medium or even low makes little difference to overall frame rate. Getting between around 43 and 60fps max.

- CPU usage is reasonably high, about 60% average I'd say, and spread across all cores and threads

- GPU usage is poor. Only goes to about 80% power max that I've seen so far (I have widgets on second monitor). The game should be maxing out a single 980ti as its not totally maxing out my 5930k so is not CPU bound on my rig. There is some optimization to be had here by drivers and or ubisoft.

That GPU usage is odd, seeing 100% load pretty much all the time with a similar monitor (ASUS PG348Q) and CPU (5960x @ 4.6 Ghz). Using 388.00 Drivers from Nvidia if that is of any use.

I do have V-sync off for this game though with G-sync on. Rarely runs at 100FPS so tearing I get on map is not really an issue.

That GPU usage is odd, seeing 100% load pretty much all the time with a similar monitor (ASUS PG348Q) and CPU (5960x @ 4.6 Ghz). Using 388.00 Drivers from Nvidia if that is of any use.

I do have V-sync off for this game though with G-sync on. Rarely runs at 100FPS so tearing I get on map is not really an issue.
Thanks bud. Yeah that is odd. I'm also using the 388.00 drivers. GPU usage on one 980Ti should be totally maxing out in this game, but it's just not. Don't know what else to try. I wonder if completely disabling SLI (not just at game profile level) will make a difference? Will give it a go for laughs....

EDIT - just tried with SLI totally disabled. No difference. Loaded the save I'm up to and FPS was around 50 and GPU usage was only between 75-80%. Something's not right with this game, should be maxing out x1 980Ti with a 5930k at 4.3GHz.

Any ideas, or do I just need to wait for patches or drivers? Sigh. This is why I don't buy games at release anymore!

Last edited:
Thanks bud. Yeah that is odd. I'm also using the 388.00 drivers. GPU usage on one 980Ti should be totally maxing out in this game, but it's just not. Don't know what else to try. I wonder if completely disabling SLI (not just at game profile level) will make a difference? Will give it a go for laughs....

EDIT - just tried with SLI totally disabled. No difference. Loaded the save I'm up to and FPS was around 50 and GPU usage was only between 75-80%. Something's not right with this game, should be maxing out x1 980Ti with a 5930k at 4.3GHz.

Any ideas, or do I just need to wait for patches or drivers? Sigh. This is why I don't buy games at release anymore!
It completely maxes out my 980ti paired with a 4790k at 4.6GHz so not sure how you are seeing issues. That's at 1080p but I've also whacked the resolution scale option up and the gpu usage maxes out. I'm not on the latest driver as heard there has been issues but doubt that's the reason.

Edit. I would try removing one card then reinstalling drivers. This is exactly the reason I came away from SLI setups as the issues just aren't worth it.

I'm torn between this and shadow of war.

Just completed shawdow of mordor so swaying towards that but the reviews of this appear to be good. Only issue is I've never played an AC game before. Is it a steep learning curve?

It completely maxes out my 980ti paired with a 4790k at 4.6GHz so not sure how you are seeing issues. That's at 1080p but I've also whacked the resolution scale option up and the gpu usage maxes out. I'm not on the latest driver as heard there has been issues but doubt that's the reason.

Edit. I would try removing one card then reinstalling drivers. This is exactly the reason I came away from SLI setups as the issues just aren't worth it.

I don't think its SLI related. I have 2 Way SLI enabaled and 3rd 1080Ti just set to PhysX and not seeing the same issue. The primary one is running 100% and as expected other 2 are twiddling there thumbs.

Just completed shawdow of mordor so swaying towards that but the reviews of this appear to be good. Only issue is I've never played an AC game before. Is it a steep learning curve?

I would probably say this game. Got Shadow of war and this, but been putting much more hours into this. Learning curve is not very steep, but combat initially is not quiet as smooth in melee as SOM / SOW. But much prefer the story, side missions in this and the world is pretty nice and be a nice change from mordor :D

I've not played either (yet) so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

I would probably say AC. Mordor I hear is fun but a bit of a grind. The same thing over and over again. Nemesis system is good tho.

Whilst this, is actually getting decent reviews for being very pretty, detailed and a refreshing spin on the AC formula.

AC is a much, much bigger game and feels like a somewhat fresh entry in a franchise that's gotten rather stale.

I really liked SoM but this one seems like the same grind so I decided to get it when it hits the bargain bin. I'd get AC over it just for the utterly amazing world alone.

This game is sneaking it's way up my GOTY list the more I play it.....and I'm a big fan of Zelda BotW and Horizon Zero Dawn. It makes BotW and HZD look like empty, sterile theme parks.

I wouldn't say the combat or story or graphics, or even any one are great, but everything is at least 'good' and the whole comes together as far more than the sum of it's parts, into something that is just an amazing world to explore, one of the best game experiences in years for me.

* I'll insert my Ubi-caveat here

I'd say the graphics are pretty fantastic considering the size of the world and the details. Alexandria looks phenomenal and so do many other places. The world is just on an another level, even compared to Zelda and Horizon (both of which are great).

The combat and general gameplay are also good enough to sustain interest, especially paired with the absolute freedom of climbing etc.

The movement is the smoothest it has ever been too. Some of the previous titles could be so frustrating. And hey, at least is isn't instant death if you fall in the water these days :D - we have come a long way! Looking forward to the upcoming 'god' battles and the mythical DLC.

The movement is the smoothest it has ever been too. Some of the previous titles could be so frustrating. And hey, at least is isn't instant death if you fall in the water these days :D - we have come a long way! Looking forward to the upcoming 'god' battles and the mythical DLC.

Seeing as it's the 10th game in the series, it really is about ******* time they had both stealth and swimming! People forget it's taken so long to get to this point, and not to mention their moulding of all games they make play a part in each other.

Back
Top Bottom