Assassin’s Creed Origins

Seeing as it's the 10th game in the series, it really is about ******* time they had both stealth and swimming! People forget it's taken so long to get to this point, and not to mention their moulding of all games they make play a part in each other.

Haha, truth.

Glad the animus 'real world' is dumbed down too. Man that was dull after the Desmond story.

I find the gameplay of origins much better than all of them - fluid free running, combat system, questing, environment. Story was far better in 2 though.

Likewise, I have every Assassins Creed but I've only really played the first few of them before I started to find them boring, stale and repetitive. I agree with Cohhcarnage on this one, imo AC Origins is the best AC to date.

I will never understand the adoration Black Flag gets. It is the second weakest after 3 for me. The gameplay is atrocious apart from the sailing.... And even that gets poor with ridiculous ship stealth sections which are laughably awful. I've never played a game with as much pathetic forced failure aspects in it.
The story is... Well I don't even know what it is really. I actually tried it again last week as I thought I might like it more if I gave it another chance. I got about an hour in and uninstalled it. I think after the first crap running section.

I actually can't wait to play Origins though. I will probably get it tomorrow, but not sure I can put many hours in to it this week.

I find the gameplay of origins much better than all of them - fluid free running, combat system, questing, environment. Story was far better in 2 though.

Craps on both of them in all regards except story in 2. And I really liked both.

Story/characters is all i care for. AC gameplay is passable, but combined with the stories is what makes is great.

Story/characters is all i care for. AC gameplay is passable, but combined with the stories is what makes is great.

I'd rather have better gameplay and an immersive world, seeing as AC's story has always been pretty weak TBH. Not my go-to game when I want a story-driven experience.

I play it to explore interesting, detailed worlds and IMO this is the best the gameplay and setting have ever been. Looks impressive and is enjoyable to play, a very pleasant surprise.

Just travelled to Giza for the pyramids. Jeez they are impressive from the top.
22 hours into the game and I’m only on my 4th section of map uncovered. Just doing everything I can within the open sections before carrying on with the story.
Love the feature of follow the road and flying the eagle so I can track down every little thing I haven’t found previously.

The four burial investigation sites, found 3 but can’t find the 4th.
Also don’t go hunting for the papyrus items until you’re a decent level, as the items are leveled for you.

It completely maxes out my 980ti paired with a 4790k at 4.6GHz so not sure how you are seeing issues. That's at 1080p but I've also whacked the resolution scale option up and the gpu usage maxes out. I'm not on the latest driver as heard there has been issues but doubt that's the reason.

Edit. I would try removing one card then reinstalling drivers. This is exactly the reason I came away from SLI setups as the issues just aren't worth it.

In the interests of science, and the fact that SLI has regrettably started to grate with me, I've gone and bagged myself a 1080Ti!

Early days of testing, but for this particular game the overall performance is way up vs x1 980Ti - as to be expected - but the GPU usage is exactly the same pattern! i. e.Maxing out at about 83%, exactly the same as with the 980Ti!.

I've tested a few other games (witcher 3 and Crysis 3, my usual go to games for GPU stress testing) and GPU usage there is maxing out. My logical conclusion is it's the game/ poorly optimized drivers. I am not CPU bound in any way, so what else can it realistically be given that other games are fully using the GPU?

In the interests of science, and the fact that SLI has regrettably started to grate with me, I've gone and bagged myself a 1080Ti!

Early days of testing, but for this particular game the overall performance is way up vs x1 980Ti - as to be expected - but the GPU usage is exactly the same pattern! i. e.Maxing out at about 83%, exactly the same as with the 980Ti!.

I've tested a few other games (witcher 3 and Crysis 3, my usual go to games for GPU stress testing) and GPU usage there is maxing out. My logical conclusion is it's the game/ poorly optimized drivers. I am not CPU bound in any way, so what else can it realistically be given that other games are fully using the GPU?
That is really weird. What happens when you fire resolution scale up in the menus as technically speaking that should put more strain on the gpu side. I know it can't be the game, as hitting 99% usage for me regardless of resolution.

Also, have you checked your cpu usage in game? Could be some weird bug with 6 core cpu or something? Clutching at straws a bit but try unparking cpu core and try disabling hyperthreading.

Last edited:
J

While at it maybe someone can help me out here. Not highly important but if possible would be nice to have the colors a bit more vibrant. Or it might be looking a bit washed out due to the hight and amount of details it has to take in ?? Using a Samsung S34E790C screen.

Are you using Nvidia? if so turn up digital vibrance to get glorious colour

That is really weird. What happens when you fire resolution scale up in the menus as technically speaking that should put more strain on the gpu side. I know it can't be the game, as hitting 99% usage for me regardless of resolution.

Also, have you checked your cpu usage in game? Could be some weird bug with 6 core cpu or something? Clutching at straws a bit but try unparking cpu core and try disabling hyperthreading.

Is a bit weird aint it? To make sure it's not an Assassins Creed / Ubisoft thing I've just tested Ass Creed Unity - lovely performance and virtually maxing out the 1080Ti (saw it go up to about 96% usage). Crysis 3 I saw it go to 104% power usage, even though I'm using Afterburner and keeping the power limit at stock 100% usage for now.

CPU usage in Ass Creed Origins is good - seeing all cores/ threads being used and about 60% usage on average (I'm only cocking about in the first village area).

I'm not especially worried. From the other games I've tested so far there are zero issues regarding GPU usage. It's most likely early 'bugs' with the game and my overall system?

Last edited:
Trial of Anubis is up for next few days. Level 40, but get some nice unique gear from it. Recommend your well equipped with a bunch of legendary bows! it is a bit of a pain otherwise.

Is a bit weird aint it? To make sure it's not an Assassins Creed / Ubisoft thing I've just tested Ass Creed Unity - lovely performance and virtually maxing out the 1080Ti (saw it go up to about 96% usage). Crysis 3 I saw it go to 104% power usage, even though I'm using Afterburner and keeping the power limit at stock 100% usage for now.

CPU usage in Ass Creed Origins is good - seeing all cors/ threads being used and about 60% usage on average (I'm only cocking about in the first village area).

I'm not especially worried. From the other games I've tested so far there are zero issues regarding GPU usage. It's most likely early 'bugs' with the game and my overall system?
Yeah, probably just a weird bug that we should probably be used to by now PC gaming eh :D

Yeah, probably just a weird bug that we should probably be used to by now PC gaming eh :D

Just tried setting the "resolution modifier" to 200% in the menus - doing this made GPU usage peg at full 100%.

Must just be 'issues'.

The really weird thing performance wise with this game, like I mentioned in my post a page back, is the AA settings. Setting AA to off results in lower FPS than any other AA setting. This was on my 980Ti set up and exactly the same with the 1080Ti. What's that about!?

I'd say the graphics are pretty fantastic considering the size of the world and the details. Alexandria looks phenomenal and so do many other places. The world is just on an another level, even compared to Zelda and Horizon (both of which are great).

The combat and general gameplay are also good enough to sustain interest, especially paired with the absolute freedom of climbing etc.

I should caveat the graphics comment by pointing out I'm playing on a mix of medium and high settings to placate my potato GPU. I'm sure it looks awesome with the eye candy turned on.

Agree with the world...Zelda and Horizon seem empty and sterile in comparison.

They have definitely set a new benchmark for open worlds. Just having a handful of static vendors and a couple of roaming NPCs populating a town just isn't going to cut it anymore.

The four burial investigation sites, found 3 but can’t find the 4th.
Also don’t go hunting for the papyrus items until you’re a decent level, as the items are leveled for you.

Remember you can pay to level them up - money doesn't seem to be an issue later on either.

Trial of Anubis is up for next few days. Level 40, but get some nice unique gear from it. Recommend your well equipped with a bunch of legendary bows! it is a bit of a pain otherwise.

That was tough. Enjoyed it though. A fun way to get some unique gear.

I should caveat the graphics comment by pointing out I'm playing on a mix of medium and high settings to placate my potato GPU. I'm sure it looks awesome with the eye candy turned on.

Agree with the world...Zelda and Horizon seem empty and sterile in comparison.

They have definitely set a new benchmark for open worlds. Just having a handful of static vendors and a couple of roaming NPCs populating a town just isn't going to cut it anymore.

I was amazed that birds actually sit in and fly into and out of the little holes in those huge birdhouses, the level of detail is really astonishing. Also, the ecosystem feels alive, animals attack each other, hyenas feast on the corpses etc. I had cats gathering around me in villages, stretching and observing the environment. Not to mention all the people doing their stuff etc.

EDIT: I've just witnessed a leopard slowly creeping up to attack a child standing in the river

Regarding graphics, I have some performance issues with the game as well, especially in Alexandria. My 1070 only hits 60-70% usage and there's some annoying stuttering. The funny thing is I get virtually the same drops with shadows on ultra high settings that I do with high settings. Same with environment quality, dropping from ultra to very high doesn't really do much. Most of the time it hovers around 60fps at 1440p but there are some weird stuttery drops in certain places that I can't get rid of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom