• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 7990 - £399.99 pre-order. Is this for real??

Well you can always try it, if you find it suitable you can prob get at least £250 for your cards - so an outlay of £150ish for a lot less heat, more power efficient and in theory, better performing, especially at your res. I would certainly be tempted to give it a try. At end of day, if it isn't suitable you are only losing out on price of postage to DSR.

Ordered :D

Couldn't resist the deal. The thing is this is only the first piece of the jigsaw. I'm not planning on getting any other component of my built-from-scratch PC before December. Would I lose out on the 3 free games by then? And is Crysis 3 included in that offer?

Could someone please enlighten me; would I miss out on the 3 free games given I won't have my PC put together before Xmas? Like do I receive some kinda code that I could redeem now and that's it? Also is Crysis 3 included in that offer?

Could someone please enlighten me; would I miss out on the 3 free games given I won't have my PC put together before Xmas? Like do I receive some kinda code that I could redeem now and that's it? Also is Crysis 3 included in that offer?
Not 100% sure but I think you won't.They're steam or origin key codes.No Crysis 3.

Gibbo, Please change the (was £599) to (Was £399).

Its false advertisement to say you sold it for £599 before the price drop when in fact the new £499 price is £100 more.

Gibbo, Please change the (was £599) to (Was £399).

Its false advertisement to say you sold it for £599 before the price drop when in fact the new £499 price is £100 more.

It's not false advertising; the £399 was a super-special offer and only ran for 2 days. It would actually be false advertising to say "Was £399", since the offer was temporary (a bit like a reverse version of supermarkets saying "was £9.99, now £2.99" when it was only at £9.99 for 2 hours. In one of their stores)

Asus getting heavy isn't allowed though - that's price fixing.

Last edited:
Prices are back up on the XFX cards to £479. Cheapest I can see is Sapphire cards for £419 on pre-order.

Anyway my XFX card has shipped, I'm still going to take a hefty hit on selling my 780 (thanks to the price drops) but such is life! Luckily I managed to get mine for under £500 but that is the last time I'll ever spend that much on a gpu!

Hopefully be able to do some comparisons to my 780 when it arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:
Prices are back up on the XFX cards to £479. Cheapest I can see is Sapphire cards for £419 on pre-order.

Anyway my XFX card has shipped, I'm still going to take a hefty hit on selling my 780 (thanks to the price drops) but such is life! Luckily I managed to get mine for under £500 but that is the last time I'll ever spend that much on a gpu!

Hopefully be able to do some comparisons to my 780 when it arrives tomorrow.

Please yes that would be great. I'm going to do 670 SLI vs 7990 when I have mine set up :)

It's not false advertising; the £399 was a super-special offer and only ran for 2 days. It would actually be false advertising to say "Was £399", since the offer was temporary (a bit like a reverse version of supermarkets saying "was £9.99, now £2.99" when it was only at £9.99 for 2 hours. In one of their stores)

Asus getting heavy isn't allowed though - that's price fixing.

It's not Asus it's AMD. They don't want the 7990 cheaper than the 290x as it will hurt sales.

The XFX as pointed out is back to £479 with a free PSU, that's obviously how XFX are getting around the £500 ish price AMD have told them to charge.

Asus are just doing what they're told. TBH? £399 and £371 was dream prices, so people should have jumped on them then.

It's not Asus it's AMD. They don't want the 7990 cheaper than the 290x as it will hurt sales.

The XFX as pointed out is back to £479 with a free PSU, that's obviously how XFX are getting around the £500 ish price AMD have told them to charge.

Asus are just doing what they're told. TBH? £399 and £371 was dream prices, so people should have jumped on them then.

Asus, AMD, XFX, whoever - you still aren't allowed to dictate pricing to retailers. AMD can control pricing by increasing or decreasing the amount they charge their customers - beyond that, it's up to the companies involved to set prices.

Sounds like ASUS and the others are discounting these 7990s to clear stock - by insisting on a minimum retail price they are manipulating the market; it's called Resale Price Maintenance.

That change is more likely because that retailer ALWAYS ends its promotions the moment the ocuk one ends :)

Might drop this for a 780 instead - what's your reason for the change SS-89?

Wanted to play with something new, and I wanted to give crossfire a go to see if it's something I can get on with (never had a multi gpu solution). For that price it was hard to resist!

Back
Top Bottom