• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 7990 - £399.99 pre-order. Is this for real??

I gotta agree. £400 is amazing value for this card..its a beast and i thought it was cheap when i got mine at £450 last week. Id buy another if i could but im pretty sure my 860 watts psu wouldnt cut it lol.

Your psu will punch you in the face if you try it :p

Really need over 1000 psu for 2 of those. Probably a good 1200 watt.

Found an article showing 6990 crossfire vs 7970 crossfire, in them its swings and roundabouts, though in some games the 7970's pull ahead by a decent chunk. Obviously the 4th gpu doesn't add much in most games so its as close as I can get to 3 69xx vs a 7990.

Pretty odd article though as one minute they test 6990 crossfire then its suddenly missing.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_hd_7970_crossfire_review,16.html

Last edited:
Well I'm thinking about getting another 7990,I got a gigabyte about 3 weeks ago for £470 and thought that was a good deal but this unbelievable. I may just buy 1 can keep it until I upgrade to higher resolution as I'm only at 1080pat the moment so there won't be any benefit when xfired.

Getting conflicting info on this card vs performance over my current setup, some saying it would be an upgrade, others saying more of a sidegrade =/

1 7970 is ALMOST equivalent to 2 6950's, so a 7990 would be ALMOST equivalent to 4 6950's. So in theory it is almost a full 6950 (at best) ahead of your current setup.

Plus you are on a 2gb VRAM limitation currently. The 7990 would give you another gb of VRAM headroom.

You can use less than 750W for one if you've got a good quality PSU. The TDP is 375W I think, and it'll generally use less than that, so you're looking at 650W+

Been holding out buying a graphics card for too long now. Decided to grab one of these, great price. Should be a nice upgrade from my 7770.

1 7970 is ALMOST equivalent to 2 6950's, so a 7990 would be ALMOST equivalent to 4 6950's. So in theory it is almost a full 6950 (at best) ahead of your current setup.

Plus you are on a 2gb VRAM limitation currently. The 7990 would give you another gb of VRAM headroom.

Its vaguely in that direction from what I can see, a lot of the reviews and fps I can find are from quite a while back so its pretty old data that's doing the rounds in regards to performance. I just have an awkward setup to find any real comparative tests to compare it to a 7990.

I run in Eyefinity mode (5760x1080) so I'm sure am hitting a vram bottleneck somewhere along the line, not really noticed it being overly sluggish, Its either vram bottleneck, or the cards don't have enough grunt or both.

Just have to mull it over and try and make my mind up before Monday, worst comes to the worst and the performance is the same\ not much better I can dsr it I suppose.

Its vaguely in that direction from what I can see, a lot of the reviews and fps I can find are from quite a while back so its pretty old data that's doing the rounds in regards to performance. I just have an awkward setup to find any real comparative tests to compare it to a 7990.

I run in Eyefinity mode (5760x1080) so I'm sure am hitting a vram bottleneck somewhere along the line, not really noticed it being overly sluggish, Its either vram bottleneck, or the cards don't have enough grunt or both.

Just have to mull it over and try and make my mind up before Monday, worst comes to the worst and the performance is the same\ not much better I can dsr it I suppose.

Well you can always try it, if you find it suitable you can prob get at least £250 for your cards - so an outlay of £150ish for a lot less heat, more power efficient and in theory, better performing, especially at your res. I would certainly be tempted to give it a try. At end of day, if it isn't suitable you are only losing out on price of postage to DSR.

Back
Top Bottom