• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 7990 - £399.99 pre-order. Is this for real??

at end of day if they dont sell theyll stay low. sales is a game.

Well right now they are the ones shipping the stock, do as they say to get the stock. Once the stock is landed we could then drop again maybe if it ain't all sold this weekend. But right now we have to do as they say if we want the stock. :)

The MSI and gigabyte are still selling at much higher price, now both are sub 10 each in stock, so they'd sell at £500 slowly, I just wanted to shift a load quickly. :D

Well right now they are the ones shipping the stock, do as they say to get the stock. Once the stock is landed we could then drop again maybe if it ain't all sold this weekend. But right now we have to do as they say if we want the stock. :)

The MSI and gigabyte are still selling at much higher price, now both are sub 10 each in stock, so they'd sell at £500 slowly, I just wanted to shift a load quickly. :D

I was just going to say that actually. Once the stock gets low up the price. By then you'll have people who already have one and want to go CFX and so on. Then you can afford to sit on some when they become hard to get ;)

/an ex professional salesman who trained people....

1440p the 7990 will win every time. At larger resolutions the memory bandwidth is what will save you.

I have a magazine here with a group test in, and the 7970 Crossfire set up actually bit at the backside of SLI Titans thanks to the memory bandwidth.

There is nothing, at no resolution, that the 7990 will not win in, unless it's not so hot at lower resolutions like 1400x900 and so on. Some games suffer on my 670 SLI set up at lower resolutions.

thanks for the response on that :)
i think i will have to order a 850 psu for that card.

Gibbo if we order now,do we still have to wait for your ETA date which is 8/11/13

Gibbo mate, i have 2x7950s and if i bought one of these i would make some of the cash back selling the 7950s + the gold ticket ;)
my question is though if there is coil wine are we able to return the cards for none coil wine cards.... would it be impossible for OCUK to test the cards we get for coil wine for those that are fussy about coil wine like me as i have a near silent system... and another Q if i kept one of my 7950s could i trifire ???? or would the performance not be worth it as the 7950 would slow the 7990 down or not let it use all its shaders im not even sure my psu is powerfully enough for trifire, 950w pcpower.

Im only contemplating on purchase cause that is ONE HELL OF A PRICE DROOL DROP lol

Last edited:
thanks for the response on that :)
i think i will have to order a 850 psu for that card.

Gibbo if we order now,do we still have to wait for your ETA date which is 8/11/13

750w is more than enough mate. AMD say 750 for one, 1000w for two. So buying an 850 is kinda pointless unless you don't want to load the PSU as much.

I don't work weekends and neither do they. In short they are not, but not much I can do if I can't access my work system.

I could put it up now and give no one a heads up, seems try to give people a warning and get questioned over it, in future I won't bother.

I even said buy the XFX whilst it's cheap, it's a bargain.

Sorry Gibbo! I was just curious as to why ASUS weren't forcing you to do it earlier :p

Anyway I loathe to buy elsewhere as the service from OCUK is usually much better! But as this is merely a stop-gap and bit of fun for me to try out Xfire I want to get the cheapest just in case I want to get out with minimal loss down the line.

Last edited:
Gibbo mate, i have 2x7950s and if i bought one of these i would make some of the cash back selling the 7950s + the gold ticket ;)
my question is though if there is coil wine are we able to return the cards for none coil wine cards.... would it be impossible for OCUK to test the cards we get for coil wine for those that are fussy about coil wine like me as i have a near silent system... and another Q if i kept one of my 7950s could i trifire ???? or would the performance not be worth it as the 7950 would slow the 7990 down or not let it use all its shaders im not even sure my psu is powerfully enough for trifire, 950w pcpower.

Im only contemplating on purchase cause that is ONE HELL OF A PRICE DROOL DROP lol

All 7990's emit coil whine to an extent.
As such if you want silence the 7990 is not for you unfortunately.

Getting conflicting info on this card vs performance over my current setup, some saying it would be an upgrade, others saying more of a sidegrade =/

TBH I'm quite frankly amazed that you can cope with the noise and heat your setup would emit. Are they under water?

Nope, my case is a fortress ft02 so the cards have fans right under the end vents. I don't notice them in game as I wear headphones, can't say I've ever had a point where the fans were making much of a racket. And I usually have my window open so heats not much of an issue :)

Just in 2 minds about the 7990, really looking more performance but so far its hard to get numbers for it over 3 6970's as its not a config reviewers normally do. 2 7970's are a good bit faster than a 6990 on its own but with the 6970 factoring in the gap narrows, how much I'm not sure.

Nope, my case is a fortress ft02 so the cards have fans right under the end vents. I don't notice them in game as I wear headphones, can't say I've ever had a point where the fans were making much of a racket. And I usually have my window open so heats not much of an issue :)

Just in 2 minds about the 7990, really looking more performance but so far its hard to get numbers for it over 3 6970's as its not a config reviewers normally do. 2 7970's are a good bit faster than a 6990 on its own but with the 6970 factoring in the gap narrows, how much I'm not sure.

OK look. Run 3dmark Firestrike in both normal mode and extreme (do you own it? if not buy it, it's worth it to get a rough guide from !) and post your results for me. If you don't own it and don't want to pay £20 or what not for it (check out Steam as it may be cheap atm) then just run the demo and post me back your Firestrike result.

£18.99 on Steam...

OK look. Run 3dmark Firestrike in both normal mode and extreme (do you own it? if not buy it, it's worth it to get a rough guide from !) and post your results for me. If you don't own it and don't want to pay £20 or what not for it (check out Steam as it may be cheap atm) then just run the demo and post me back your Firestrike result.

£18.99 on Steam...

I'm just gonna look around over the weekend and see what I can come up with, after looking at the anand comparisons I can't see a 7990 being that much better then what I have currently, don't really care about cooler or quieter just more performance is what I'm after for Eyefinity at 5760x1080. :)

I gotta agree. £400 is amazing value for this card..its a beast and i thought it was cheap when i got mine at £450 last week. Id buy another if i could but im pretty sure my 860 watts psu wouldnt cut it lol.

Back
Top Bottom