ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

Not even sure if I would go for it at that price... I'm really getting along with my Galaxy tab atm. One of the main draws of the original transformer for me was the fact that it was pretty much the best tablet out and the cheapest at that spec.

tegra3.glbenchmarkpro.png

Performance looks decent enough.

Whilst there has been a definite performance increase over what's currently on the market for Android devices, it's still 40% slower than the SGX543MP2.

Just goes to show how good PowerVR's design is, I find it a bit strange that nVidia can't produce similar results with all the experience they have.

This is pretty much what I expected, where are these benchmarks from? This does confirm a few things that pottsey was saying earlier on in the thread, but it also confirms that it is pretty much the best performing atm...

I cannot see the power being a problem, especially considering the current state of graphics on Android, and really the mobile market as a whole. It's not only about power, Tegra 2 is not THE most powerful at the moment and pretty average, but due to Nvidia's aggressive exclusivity deals and general lack of interest in high end graphics Tegra 2 plays everything currently out extremely well... And even on IOS you look at the ipad 2 which has been out for some time with better performance than Tegra 3 and you don't really see that much in the way of epic graphics.

I believe the business strategy is 'stack em high' sell em cheap, would be nice to see more high end games. On that note I really want to raise a point... Someone might shoot me here, but I honestly think locking down sideloading apps on Android would be a good thing. I've bought plenty of apps and spent a bundle on Tegra 2 games but there's such a massive pirate community out there because it's so easy devs don't make as much as they should.

Its been discussed before - ultimate gpu performance is not on their agenda for now - simple as that.

Then what is their agenda? I find that extremely hard to believe considering a) it's nVidia, b) their marketing media for both Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 is around gaming and c) the sheer amount of Tegra exclusives on the market.

Simple matter of fact is, hardware and application wise, the iPad2 is still king of the hill. Something that's quite surprising seeing as the iPad2 is quite old now and the release cycle for Android devices is much quicker because of the sheer amount of manufacturers.

Am I missing something about chipsets or is the Asus not on there?
The LePad is similar specs to the Asus hardware so while not 100% the same it should give an idea on performance.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Lenovo+LePad+K2&benchmark=glpro21

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://heise.de/-1381018

More performance numbers and pretty much what I said it would be. With Tegra barely being faster than some last gen phones and slower than other phones it's a pretty poor showing for a tablet performance wise. I can easily see next gen phones like a Galaxy 3 overtake the Tegra 3 tablet. Should be ok performance for some but very off-putting for others.
Just imagine those scores against an Ipad3 or next gen phone's once they arrive. It's no wonder so many company's dropped Tegra 3 not much going for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom