Asus P5W DH Deluxe - doesn't support Conroe out of box?

Isn't this the same as buying a Pentium D motherboard, like an Asus P5LD2-VM Board and a Pentium D 930 but then finding out that the CPU will not work with the mobo, as it is listed the mobo Supports the Pentium D but not that it requires a firmware flash to work with the 900 series...the same really if your going to tell customers about this board not supporting a new CPU out of the box then why not tell them about the 900 series problem on the other boards as i'm sure many people will buy that cpu and an older 955/945 chipset board that will not support the CPU out of the box, anyway I doubt no retailer would tell anyone that, most of them don't do their homework/reseach, how many of them will tell you that a Pentium D EE CPU will only work with 955/975 Chipset boards, instead OCUK tell you that all Pentium D CPU's only work with that chipset when in fact Pentium D's work with the intel 945 Chipset, just not the EE ones like 940 EE, 955EE, 965EE....anway I think that the Manufacutres should list on the front of the mobo BOX/Serial Number sticker what BIOS version they have, then the Retailer lists that next to the Item Title, and then you can simply pop along to the manufactures website and check what CPU that BIOS supports, or the Retailer can just link to it, afterall you can't just expect to sit on your but to make money...well at least OCUK are telling customers about the problem/situation...shame no one else is...but to me it's not a big problem, that's jsut life, you have to do your own homework....

OK. getting this mobo tomorrow. theres too much in this thread i dont know what i need to look at now!

so first i thought it was just a matter of what the bios is flashed by. now it just seems like you need the right bios chip it self :confused:

so someone give me a straight answer of what i need to look at and numbers i need to read plus what i need to do if its not going to support conroe.

btw im getting the E6400.

shimy182 said:
OK. getting this mobo tomorrow. theres too much in this thread i dont know what i need to look at now!

so first i thought it was just a matter of what the bios is flashed by. now it just seems like you need the right bios chip it self :confused:

so someone give me a straight answer of what i need to look at and numbers i need to read plus what i need to do if its not going to support conroe.

btw im getting the E6400.

well first of all get hold of a pentium 4 cpu then use that to flash it, no need for a new chip, just follow the instruction with the mobo how ot flash it

meansizzler said:
well first of all get hold of a pentium 4 cpu then use that to flash it, no need for a new chip, just follow the instruction with the mobo how ot flash it

Yes, do that. I only asked for a new chip because I can't get my hands on another cpu for flashing purposes

In the end i just bought a cheap celeron and used the flash tool in the bios to flash it. The process was painless except that the manual says the computer should reboot after finishing the flashing. mine appeared to do that then froze with a blank screen. I had to manually turn off the power supply and then reboot as the reset and power switches did nothing. I am now the proud owner of a p5w dh deluxe with bios 701. all i need now is my e6600....

i thought it was only some mobos that needs to be flashed?
ones with perticuller numbers...

o um i have 0401 which means i need to flash right?

And as i have nothing to do i would like to install windows using the pentium 4 (if i can get hold of one).
when i get my conroe does that mean i have to reinstall windows again?

Last edited:
shimy182 said:
i thought it was only some mobos that needs to be flashed?
ones with perticuller numbers...

o um i have 0401 which means i need to flash right?

And as i have nothing to do i would like to install windows using the pentium 4 (if i can get hold of one).
when i get my conroe does that mean i have to reinstall windows again?

Hi , you will have to flash the bios from 0401 to 0701 to support conroe and you should not have to reinstall windows once you fit the new chip

andyr said:
Hi , you will have to flash the bios from 0401 to 0701 to support conroe and you should not have to reinstall windows once you fit the new chip

ok thanks.. now on a hunt for a CPU, only if my mum lets me get in to her computer.... so close yet so far *sigh*

anyhow good morning everyone

ATI said:
hello people

quick question would this board be ok with intel quadcore?

thanks

lol pass me a crystal ball and i'll look into the future and predict it for you

but seriously, intel details are very sketchy on quad core as Core 2 duo hasnt even been fully launched yet

but the gossip is that the quadcore will probably just drop straight in, but as the part isnt ready yet, its just guesswork.

MrLOL said:
lol pass me a crystal ball and i'll look into the future and predict it for you

but seriously, intel details are very sketchy on quad core as Core 2 duo hasnt even been fully launched yet

but the gossip is that the quadcore will probably just drop straight in, but as the part isnt ready yet, its just guesswork.

I read an article that said the Badaxe would be compatible with the Kentsfield quad core.

Not sure how reliable that is though

OK. i give up hunting for a CPU. so can someone give me some details of what todo? i registered with asus and registered my mobo. now i suffer to find contact details.... almost as if they dont want me to have it...

shimy182 said:
OK. i give up hunting for a CPU. so can someone give me some details of what todo? i registered with asus and registered my mobo. now i suffer to find contact details.... almost as if they dont want me to have it...

Hi, If you are after a new bios chip for the mobo then e mail this guy and he will send you a form [email protected] , i will try to send it to you and you can send it straight off.

edit: , sorry you havnt configured your trust account so i cant email it myself , but the guy above will help

Last edited:
Now I'm confused again. I re-read Riz's last email, the one I thought said to send the form after the chip arrives.

Send me back the form , by email, when you received the bios chip new one, post the old one to asus address

It could mean:

a) Send me back the form by email. When you receive the new bios chip, post the old one to Asus.

or what I initially thought:

b) Send me back the form by email when you've received the new bios chip, post the old one to Asus.

Looks like I'm going to have to email him again! :confused:

Hi , i read it as post back the form before he will send the chip and then send off the original chip back to asus,
i was trying to get the chip before the new board

This is what he said

"We will send you a new bios, free of cost, please remove the old bios chip it self using a tweezers or a precision screw driver, there are small holes around the bios chip which you can use to insert the tweezers and lift the bios chip out, this is a chip with a small writing sitting inside a square box, next to CMOS battery, please take this out and replace it with the new one you will receive from me, I have attached a small form please fill it in and mail it back before I can send new bios to you. I will need a serial number for your main board on the form to confirm."

After Receiving the new Bios chip please send the old bios chip back to a below address.

Technical Support

ASUSTEK UK Limited

500 Avebury Boulevard

Milton Keynes

United Kingdom

MK9 2BE

Last edited:
Arse.

I've emailed him saying the mobo is in the same order as my conroe and is being held back until launch, also that I'd like to have the chip ready when it arrives.

Maybe he'll be nice and send it. He's done it for other people in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom