ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition: The Ultimate LGA2011 Motherboard

I agree with the principle, but, unless one of the other manufacturers realy step up their game, the best board will sitll be an asus...

I dont know aslong as the board is not faulty and its well cooled i see all board performing the same. They only differ when your setting world records otherwise there is no difference.

EVGA break records with there cards on the boards more than cpu records are broke on an Asus. For gaming its the gpu that counts and also the excellent support and rma that you get from EVGA. I will probably go down the EVGA route for my next upgrade. Even if asus release the rampage 5 extreme for haswell e and its an amazing board i still wont buy it, matter of principle.

Saying that, there's also issues with RMAs if you ever had an issue.

I dont know aslong as the board is not faulty and its well cooled i see all board performing the same. They only differ when your setting world records otherwise there is no difference.

EVGA break records with there cards on the boards more than cpu records are broke on an Asus. For gaming its the gpu that counts and also the excellent support and rma that you get from EVGA. I will probably go down the EVGA route for my next upgrade. Even if asus release the rampage 5 extreme for haswell e and its an amazing board i still wont buy it, matter of principle.

i vote for EVGA's RMA service. I doubt asus will have the best x99 mobo for HASWELL-E CPU as Peter has left ASUS.

What is the appeal for wanting to blocking the mobo anyway, it doesn't improve temps, noise or aesthetics. I am missing something other than it's because you can?

Not got mine yet, but without active cooling on my Z77 Sabretooth my Vregs would hit 85-90degC, and would heat up the rest of the board at the same time. Sticking the whiny wee fan on it dropped it down to about 50degC and the board itself didn't heat up at all. Power consumption for IB-E is about 50% higher so should produce even more heat at the regs. I've seen stories of X79 boards thermally throttling because of Vregs overheating under load, not sure if the BE can hit these sorts of temperatures under normal overclocking but I wouldn't be surprised.

Not got mine yet, but without active cooling on my Z77 Sabretooth my Vregs would hit 85-90degC, and would heat up the rest of the board at the same time. Sticking the whiny wee fan on it dropped it down to about 50degC and the board itself didn't heat up at all. Power consumption for IB-E is about 50% higher so should produce even more heat at the regs. I've seen stories of X79 boards thermally throttling because of Vregs overheating under load, not sure if the BE can hit these sorts of temperatures under normal overclocking but I wouldn't be surprised.

when did you order yours? I think all pre-orders have been fulfilled.

Power consumption for IB-E is about 50% higher so should produce even more heat at the regs.

50% greater, what are you comparing against?

If we stick to just X79 then Ivy Bridge-E has better power consumption than Sandy Bridge-E:

The Ivy Bridge-E shows a much lower power consumption than the previous Sandy Bridge-E. These wattage numbers were taken with our 4960X at 4.5/1866 at 1.31v and our 3930K at 4.5/1866 at 1.40v.

The Ivy Bridge-E CPU package under full CPU and RAM load showed to be using 127.6 watts. The Sandy Bridge-E CPU package under full load showed to be using 174 watts. These numbers were taken from AIDA64 monitoring tools.

Using our tried and true Kill-A-Watt method at the wall, the 4960X was 166 watts at idle and 353 watts at full load. The 3930K was 201 watts at idle, and 378 watts at full load.

Comparing the results are a bit confusing, but obviously the big difference is the power gating at idle, so certainly the Ivy Bridge-E does a better job of managing power when it is not being used. The power efficiency at the top end is a bit soft, certainly better than its predecessor, but not as impressive as the power savings we have seen in the latest Haswell architecture.

Any need to reinstall windows 8 going from a Rampage Extreme IV to the Black edition ?

Thanks.

I'd assume (could be incorrect) that as each motherboard has it's own chipset drivers it would be best practice to backup data and re-install OS to avoid driver conflicts. Do you have a retail version of Windows because OEM only covers one motherboard?

I'd assume (could be incorrect) that as each motherboard has it's own chipset drivers it would be best practice to backup data and re-install OS to avoid driver conflicts. Do you have a retail version of Windows because OEM only covers one motherboard?

It's the oem version of windows 8 which has the same licence as previous retail versions of Windows.

Back
Top Bottom