Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
Yeah. I am not a fan of Asus. Used to love them and their mobos in particular, but they over did it with their Asus tax and you did not even get better customer support for all that extra money.

Much prefer the Steam Deck and I will wait for Steam Deck 2 myself :)
It will be interesting to see what they do with the 2nd iteration. The others are basically building laptops from off-the-shelf parts whereas the SD was more of a planned, custom solution. Steam definitely have the data to make an informed decision.

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You said you preferred the steam deck so I thought you meant you'd been hands on with the Ally?
Or did you actually mean you prefer Valve over Asus from a company standpoint?

That and also prefer having a track pad and SteamOS and the cheaper non Asus tax price.

I was not trying to compare the Ally with the current Steam Deck. I probably would enjoy the Ally more due to better screen and hardware.

I am referring to the overall package and feel a steam deck 2 with similar soc and screen would be much better for me :)

I was the 2nd person on this forum that got the Steam Deck on release. Loved it initially. But after a while the shortcomings like display and it's low resolution and bulkiness stood out. Sold it for £500 profit in the end.

Was close to buying one on steam sales recently when they were 10% off but the low res screen put me off.

Look forward to Steam Deck 2. But I get the feeling Steam Deck 3 will be the one where it is almost perfect and one that I keep for a long time without feeling like I need to upgrade.

Soldato
That and also prefer having a track pad and SteamOS and the cheaper non Asus tax price.

I was not trying to compare the Ally with the current Steam Deck. I probably would enjoy the Ally more due to better screen and hardware.

I am referring to the overall package and feel a steam deck 2 with similar soc and screen would be much better for me :)

I was the 2nd person on this forum that got the Steam Deck on release. Loved it initially. But after a while the shortcomings like display and it's low resolution and bulkiness stood out. Sold it for £500 profit in the end.

Was close to buying one on steam sales recently when they were 10% off but the low res screen put me off.

Look forward to Steam Deck 2. But I get the feeling Steam Deck 3 will be the one where it is almost perfect and one that I keep for a long time without feeling like I need to upgrade.

Got it. TBF, had I been up longer than 20m at the time of reading, I'd have worked that out myself lol.

I am not generally keen on first of type hardware (lol at 3423DW) and these handhelds are an example of where I'd rather wait for a product I will be more comfortable in spending that kind of money on.
So for me until there is an OLED on any of them I'm not even considering it.

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Got it. TBF, had I been up longer than 20m at the time of reading, I'd have worked that out myself lol.

I am not generally keen on first of type hardware (lol at 3423DW) and these handhelds are an example of where I'd rather wait for a product I will be more comfortable in spending that kind of money on.
So for me until there is an OLED on any of them I'm not even considering it.

Yep. A 1080p OLED would be awesome. That and 3nm process SOC from AMD would make for an excellent handheld. That should be possible in 2 years time :)

Soldato
OP
Question is will steam deck have cheaper pricing. I already own base model and upgraded SSD to 512gb.

If this releases for under £700, I'm pretty sure I will buy it, although I play games very very casually these days.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Question is will steam deck have cheaper pricing. I already own base model and upgraded SSD to 512gb.

If this releases for under £700, I'm pretty sure I will buy it, although I play games very very casually these days.

I am happy with base models. You stick your own storage in, job done. Assuming they follow this model for Steam Deck 2 the I will get the base model again.

Trouble is if they don't have OLED as standard and in the base model then that would change things. Would be nice if they go OLED for every model. My understanding is you need to get a version custom built for you. Maybe they can do something where they get something made that other handhelds from competition can use also and if even the base version has it then there will be enough demand to make it worth it.

Caporegime
I don't really understand the issue with the Steam Deck screen. With it being low resolution it means it's able to play what it can, and being the size it is, means it's sharp.

Yeah sure there's some stuff you could run 1080p on it if you so wanted.

I'd just be happy if a steam deck 2 had a switch OLED screen and whatever type of APU is powering the Ally

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't really understand the issue with the Steam Deck screen. With it being low resolution it means it's able to play what it can, and being the size it is, means it's sharp.

Yeah sure there's some stuff you could run 1080p on it if you so wanted.

I'd just be happy if a steam deck 2 had a switch OLED screen and whatever type of APU is powering the Ally

Most games were fine to be fair. Some though looked terrible to me.

That's great you are happy with it. No need to buy a steam deck 2 :p

Soldato
£700 is double the cheapest Steam Deck :confused:

Still, if it was black, ran SteamOS, had the touch pads and has similar battery life I'd be interested in swapping over from a 512gb.

Thing is, the SD got there first and I don't see the point in me changing until there's something comparable (in terms of the OS and control options mentioned earlier) which means I'll probably be on this hardware until the SD 2 shows up.
The steamdeck equivalent is what around £600 and half as powerful. Why compare the cheapest of one to the higher spec noted of another item?

I would rather run W11 than SteamOS myself and perosnal hate touch pads so I'm all for the direction Asus has gone with that and seems all around a much better system from what has been touted to date.

Soldato
The steamdeck equivalent is what around £600 and half as powerful. Why compare the cheapest of one to the higher spec noted of another item?

I would rather run W11 than SteamOS myself and perosnal hate touch pads so I'm all for the direction Asus has gone with that and seems all around a much better system from what has been touted to date.

Agreed Curly, comparing the 64gb steam deck to the top end ally is like comparing a basic model car to its more advanced competitor. There is nothing wrong with either car but they shouldn’t be compared because they are in different categories. Especially when the competition also has a cheaper more comparatively specced vehicle in the line up. The deck will always be a great seller and a lasting hit because of its price and innovation. They have opened the floodgates for the high spec handheld market for us and for that i am so glad steam did what they did.

Soldato
Agreed Curly, comparing the 64gb steam deck to the top end ally is like comparing a basic model car to its more advanced competitor. There is nothing wrong with either car but they shouldn’t be compared because they are in different categories. Especially when the competition also has a cheaper more comparatively specced vehicle in the line up. The deck will always be a great seller and a lasting hit because of its price and innovation. They have opened the floodgates for the high spec handheld market for us and for that i am so glad steam did what they did.
The only difference is the storage, so while it may not be fair to compare it to the base, it’s not fair to compare it to the most expensive SD either.

Soldato
The only difference is the storage, so while it may not be fair to compare it to the base, it’s not fair to compare it to the most expensive SD either.

no, the only difference isn’t storage. there are hardware differences. Different screen for example being the prime reason most buy the 512. I agree outside of that there isn’t a huge difference. But it does mean it’s not fair to compare the cheapest sd to the most expensive ally. Cheap for cheap high for high

Back
Top Bottom