ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM

Associate
Totally forgot about the app to change settings!

Do you know which one you'll wanna get?

After doing more research on the Asus, I'm 99% sure that it's the one I want to get. Maybe won't even wait for the reviews if it releases here next week or so. Still don't have a date yet, but a lot of Czech shops have it listed now so it could be very soon.

Useful features on the Asus that I think the LG doesn't have are: custom heatsink and voltage optimization (hopefully smaller risk of burn-in); uniform brightness (I'll use it for office work too so this should be very useful); hardware blue light filter (I think this should be very good for eye comfort while hopefully still keeping decent colors); higher brightness in HDR

Man of Honour
Without meaning to put you off the idea, some of those things are pure marketing and irrelevant in the comparison. For instance, the LG operates in the equivalent of uniform brightness mode all the time anyway as it doesn’t have ABL. The “hardware blue light filter” is inherent to the actual panel which is the same in both

There’s a chance the heatsink and Asus’ tuning will result in a higher peak brightness though as it was quite disappointing on the Lg that’s for sure.

Associate
Without meaning to put you off the idea, some of those things are pure marketing and irrelevant in the comparison. For instance, the LG operates in the equivalent of uniform brightness mode all the time anyway as it doesn’t have ABL. The “hardware blue light filter” is inherent to the actual panel which is the same in both

There’s a chance the heatsink and Asus’ tuning will result in a higher peak brightness though as it was quite disappointing on the Lg that’s for sure.

That's a lot for the info. Do you think that there are any downsides to buying the Asus over the LG, except for the HDMI version?

Man of Honour
That's a lot for the info. Do you think that there are any downsides to buying the Asus over the LG, except for the HDMI version?
I’ve not had chance to test it fully yet so it’s hard to say. It lacks hardware calibration support, that’s one thing. And is a higher price point too

I’ll be reviewing the Asus in full for 19 April when the global review embargo lifts and also planning to do a direct LG Vs Asus comparison too :)

Associate
I’ve not had chance to test it fully yet so it’s hard to say. It lacks hardware calibration support, that’s one thing. And is a higher price point too

I’ll be reviewing the Asus in full for 19 April when the global review embargo lifts and also planning to do a direct LG Vs Asus comparison too :)

Thanks again. The LG doesn't seem to release in my country any time soon, so I'm not sure if there's any point in waiting.

Man of Honour
Thanks again. The LG doesn't seem to release in my country any time soon, so I'm not sure if there's any point in waiting.
Hard to say at this stage. I’m expecting the Asus to be good so it’s prob a safe bet. Whether it has any issues or problems, or whether it’s better than the LG or not I couldn’t say at this stage until I’ve fully tested it

Associate
Hard to say at this stage. I’m expecting the Asus to be good so it’s prob a safe bet. Whether it has any issues or problems, or whether it’s better than the LG or not I couldn’t say at this stage until I’ve fully tested it

I'll think on it then. But in worst case I can return it within 14 days so there's not much risk if I buy it on April 6th or later.

Associate
The Min Brightness of 0.01 is kinda odd, it should be 0.0. So bad contrast ratio as usual?

I don't know what to make of this review. The min brightness is concerning, but there's no comparison with the LG, so that's useless. He's also complaining a lot about the coating, but in the comments he says he's not sure if it's different from the LG. The bad HDR could also be a user error, better to just wait for a professional review.

Soldato
I don't know what to make of this review. The min brightness is concerning, but there's no comparison with the LG, so that's useless. He's also complaining a lot about the coating, but in the comments he says he's not sure if it's different from the LG. The bad HDR could also be a user error, better to just wait for a professional review.
Yeah this guy is new to monitors. He has a bigger channel where he basically talks about graphics card leaks. He is also using free software to test the displays rather than calman. Not that it's bad software, but I would rather wait for Monitors Unboxed, hdtvtest or rtings reviews as they 100% know what they're talking about.

Man of Honour
The Min Brightness of 0.01 is kinda odd, it should be 0.0. So bad contrast ratio as usual?
i don't know how he is measuring it but i expect this to be user error. even a VERY high end and expensive measurement tool will be limited to around 0.002 nits brightness measurement, like the UPRTek MK550T i have. A more common colorimeter like the X-rite i1 Display Pro is limited to 0.02 nits min. others like a SpyderX are similar. Most spectros like an i1 Pro are more like 0.2 nits min....

so i expect his "0.01 nits" is a limitation of the measurement device he's using. From my testing i can confirm it's getting to AT LEAST 0.002 nits which is the limit of my UPRTek device. it will be true blacks though, it's OLED

Man of Honour
it's the exact same coating. grainier than modern IPS coating, more like very old school IPS

Man of Honour
There is also a new firmware being rolled out next week which apparently fixes some early reported HDR issues, so i expect that's what The Display Guy experienced in his testing. I will be testing the new FW for sure for HDR :) but it does also look like something was up with his measurements for gamut in HDR, very odd

...i gave up watching his video when he started ranting incoherently about the coating :)

Last edited:
Associate
There is also a new firmware being rolled out next week which apparently fixes some early reported HDR issues, so i expect that's what The Display Guy experienced in his testing. I will be testing the new FW for sure for HDR :) but it does also look like something was up with his measurements for gamut in HDR, very odd

...i gave up watching his video when he started ranting incoherently about the coating :)

Maybe he just didn't restart his browser or whatever he was using to play HDR content. Anyway all of this is great to hear, you basically put all my worries to rest :)

Back
Top Bottom