ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM

Associate
OP
That's me sold, all I wanted was the confirmation of the 100% white nits.

Although I will wait for the firmware corrected reviews for the HDR
I'll still be waiting for numerous reviews :)

Just not liking all the consistent complaints about the matte finish makes you hesitant giving the prices we're talking about.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

Just not liking all the consistent complaints about the matte finish makes you hesitant giving the prices we're talking about.
True.

Id like a glossy display but its not a deal breaker for me like the 100% white was as I also use my screens for work as well.

Soldato
Asus can't even get the 42" OLED working correctly just look at the firmware update release. i would wait and see what LG can do with the next firmware release before jumping on this.

Last edited:
Associate

If I have to be very honest, all the complaints about the matte finish coating are overblown and childish. When I had the LG 27GR95QE, I truely loved the matte finish! It eliminates all the reflections and the colors still stays vibrant and beautiful. I don't even want a glossy version and I'm perfectly 100% honest about it.

I think matte coating got a false bad reputation because of glossy OLED TVs and we all know they look very nice. Well, surprise, I have a glossy OLED TV too and I still love the matte coating on the LG 27GR95QE.

Associate
OP
If I have to be very honest, all the complaints about the matte finish coating are overblown and childish. When I had the LG 27GR95QE, I truely loved the matte finish! It eliminates all the reflections and the colors still stays vibrant and beautiful. I don't even want a glossy version and I'm perfectly 100% honest about it.

I think matte coating got a false bad reputation because of glossy OLED TVs and we all know they look very nice. Well, surprise, I have a glossy OLED TV too and I still love the matte coating on the LG 27GR95QE.
Fair enough :) I think I'll end up getting this Asus anyway, but it is concerning to hear such aggressive complaints. Maybe I won't have an issue with it, maybe I will.

I see myself getting this and then the Glossy OLED Neo G9 later in the year before deciding which one I prefer to keep long term.

Associate
Fair enough :) I think I'll end up getting this Asus anyway, but it is concerning to hear such aggressive complaints. Maybe I won't have an issue with it, maybe I will.

I see myself getting this and then the Glossy OLED Neo G9 later in the year before deciding which one I prefer to keep long term.
Yeah, at this moment I'm waiting for Asus reviews but I love the LG 27GR95QE too so yeah, a bit difficult for me lol. The LG is a very great monitor too.

I'm impressed about how the complaints can be that aggressive. Are they spoiled or what? I forgot to mention I also have the Asus MQ16AH, portable OLED monitor with glossy finish. I don't like it and reflections are not eliminated.

Man of Honour
That's me sold, all I wanted was the confirmation of the 100% white nits.

Although I will wait for the firmware corrected reviews for the HDR
if it helps, i measured ~250 nits max with uniform brightness mode enabled for SDR/desktop use (including 100% APL white window)

Man of Honour
moaning about matte vs glossy coatings is the new thing. all the cool kids are doing it ;)

having said that, it is a shame the coating is more grainy than modern LCD panels, but it's not really a major issue once you start using it

• Haha
Reactions: RSR

RSR

RSR

Soldato
if it helps, i measured ~250 nits max with uniform brightness mode enabled for SDR/desktop use (including 100% APL white window)

That's perfect tbh. I think my AW2721D's are around that as I used them @ 50% brightness.

The other thing I have noticed, even though this may sound a minor thing. The Asus looks to have easy of access to plug in stuff, where as on the AW2721D's you need to master the art of bending cables to get them in the DP, HDMI's etc..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's perfect tbh. I think my AW2721D's are around that as I used them @ 50% brightness.

The other thing I have noticed, even though this may sound a minor thing. The Asus looks to have easy of access to plug in stuff, where as on the AW2721D's you need to master the art of bending cables to get them in the DP, HDMI's etc..
They’re quite easy to get to although the rear facing ports of the LG are even easier, and that has easy access usb ports and headphone connection too

Man of Honour
So that will solve the HDR issues the review had then I gather.
I expect so. I've been doing some brief experimentation and the issue with the old original FW seems to be the handling of SDR content. HDR content has the same colour space as native mode (~DCI-P3), but when you're running in HDR mode, the colour gamut of SDR content is poor - about 82% sRGB coverage, leading to dull and washed out looking colours. I expect this is what that video review experienced.

Soldato
Why do monitors use dcip3 in sdr; SRGB looks so much better especially if you're using the screen for work

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do monitors use dcip3 in sdr; SRGB looks so much better especially if you're using the screen for work

I'm going to take a real far out guess that people are generally drawn to the oversaturated colours that make things look better to their eyes rather than the accurate but dull sRGB.

Back
Top Bottom