ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM

Man of Honour
Thanks for explaining your detailed impressions.
This issue is very interesting. Since only that one asian reviewer actually opened the monitor it's hard to know for sure wether the noise is from a fan or just humming/buzzing of electronics.

That's weird because that's in contrast to what he says in his video review where he clearly states it's a fanless cooling solution: https://youtu.be/NmhM1S1fOWg?t=589

One worry with the fan would be that it gets noisier over the years since especially smaller fans tend to wear over the years in my experience in contrast to electronics noise.
I've gone to great lengths to reduce the mechanical components in my PC and everything else that creates sound in addition to minimising the noise floor of my room.
So a monitor with an active cooling solution or other other audible noise production would defeat that purpose.

Thanks for investigating an definite answer to the question of the fan.
i spoke to Adam today since his review and he was re-testing. But it's perhaps just other internal noise, it's super quiet. hard to know for sure. i've asked the Korean reviewer for any insight they have

Associate
I know this isn't ever really a question for a display review, but you don't happen to have a sonometer with which you could measure the loudness (in sone) or sound pressure level (in db) from for example 30-50 cm distance? ;)

Man of Honour
I know this isn't ever really a question for a display review, but you don't happen to have a sonometer with which you could measure the loudness (in sone) or sound pressure level (in db) from for example 30-50 cm distance? ;)
afraid not, no. It's so quiet (if it's even there) that i'm doubting whether it even has one or not! lol.

Associate
The black crush issue is gonna be a huge dealbreaker for me. We love OLED because of the contrast and inky blacks and I love to play GTAV with graphics mods and SweetFX so the black crush is unacceptable. But is it for all presets? Very annoying if we have to wait for firmware to fix that ****.

I might just go the LG version. The brightness levels were personally perfect. I just had the grey banding issue that made me return it.

Associate
afraid not, no. It's so quiet (if it's even there) that i'm doubting whether it even has one or not! lol.
FYI the ASUS account for the german speaking area has published a video where they praise the cooling of the and specifically say "without annoying fan noise".

But the sentence "without annoying fan noise" can again be interpreted as "it has a fan but it's inaudible" or as "it doesn't have a fan at all" :confused::cry:
So not very definite as well.

Associate
FYI the ASUS account for the german speaking area has published a video where they praise the cooling of the and specifically say "without annoying fan noise".

But the sentence "without annoying fan noise" can again be interpreted as "it has a fan but it's inaudible" or as "it doesn't have a fan at all" :confused::cry:
So not very definite as well.
I'm banking on this. I've just setup a return for the LG 27 OLED because the fan is annoyingly loud. Worried about the drop in HDR quality though

Associate
I'm banking on this. I've just setup a return for the LG 27 OLED because the fan is annoyingly loud. Worried about the drop in HDR quality though
That's also interesting. I've read about other LG 27GR95QE owners who say they can't hear the fan.
As so often with fans and noise there's there's so many factors to why and how this is perceived in what way. As a potential buyer the only way to make sure you're get an inaudible experience is to not have a fan rather than hoping the fan is quiet (as per your own standards).

Man of Honour
Drop in HDR quality going from the LG to the Asus?! What’s that based on?

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
@Baddass I have used your settings as per the guide on the monitor, so I’ll see how I get on with those.

I was playing BF2042 yesterday and the this screen completely blown me away if anything it may be a bit too bright at times but that's not a bad thing to be too bright. The issue I have now is I run 2 X 27s for my desktop and it’s making the AW2721D look very washed out. The other thing I have noticed coming from the AW is the colours, are just wow. It’s hard to explain but the colours look almost solid it’s impressive. The motion clarity though is something else, it makes the AW2721D look like a bit of a blurry mess when using them in a mirrored mode.

Windows HDR Desktop use still seems a bit off, so I have been using it in SDR mode (Helpful shortcut for switching between HDR/SDR Win+Alt + B)

I have found out that the USB-C to HDMI adaptor I had for my Mac didn’t support HDR, which was interesting and I didn't know that was a thing. I've ordered a Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI 2.1 (I know the Asus has 2 x 2.0 HDMI ports) which seems to have corrected the issue as the HDR option is now present on the Mac.

The only downside I have found which is a Windows issue is the text, as in some scenarios it looks weird. As an example, on the forum using the "Classic Blue, gets which get highlighted in yellow when you mouse over them look like they have an outer edge to them or they look a bit blurry. Testing this out with things like Word, Excel, Outlook all seem fine, but you may get that effect depending on the theme which is used (Mind is set to Dark Grey) . I know in some of the reviews I have seen they mention the pixel structure isn't Windows is used to, so I am guessing this will be corrected over updates, I have found though that switching it to RGB can help as it makes the colour separation a bit better, again I expect the more mainstream these WOLEDs are the better the software will get. The use of Putty / Terminal seems fine with it really, but you will have to turn the brightness down otherwise you'll burn your eyes out.

I'm looked at another one of these screens or something else to replace my other AW2721D but not sure what direction to go down yet.

I'd give the monitor 8/10 overall.

Last edited:
Associate
@Baddass I have used your settings as per the guide on the monitor, so I’ll see how I get on with those.

I was playing BF2042 yesterday and the this screen completely blown me away if anything it may be a bit too bright at times but that's not a bad thing to be too bright. The issue I have now is I run 2 X 27s for my desktop and it’s making the AW2721D look very washed out. The other thing I have noticed coming from the AW is the colours, are just wow. It’s hard to explain but the colours look almost solid it’s impressive. The motion clarity though is something else, it makes the AW2721D look like a bit of a blurry mess when using them in a mirrored mode.

Windows HDR Desktop use still seems a bit off, so I have been using it in SDR mode (Helpful shortcut for switching between HDR/SDR Win+Alt + B)

I have found out that the USB-C to HDMI adaptor I had for my Mac didn’t support HDR, which was interesting and I didn't know that was a thing. I've ordered a Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI 2.1 (I know the Asus has 2 x 2.0 HDMI ports) which seems to have corrected the issue as the HDR option is now present on the Mac.

The only downside I have found which is a Windows issue is the text, as in some scenarios it looks weird. As an example, on the forum using the "Classic Blue, gets which get highlighted in yellow when you mouse over them look like they have an outer edge to them or they look a bit blurry. Testing this out with things like Word, Excel, Outlook all seem fine, but you may get that effect depending on the theme which is used (Mind is set to Dark Grey) . I know in some of the reviews I have seen they mention the pixel structure isn't Windows is used to, so I am guessing this will be corrected over updates, I have found though that switching it to RGB can help as it makes the colour separation a bit better, again I expect the more mainstream these WOLEDs are the better the software will get. The use of Putty / Terminal seems fine with it really, but you will have to turn the brightness down otherwise you'll burn your eyes out.

I'm looked at another one of these screens or something else to replace my other AW2721D but not sure what direction to go down yet.

I'd give the monitor 8/10 overall.
What about the black details? Do you have black crush?

Associate
That's also interesting. I've read about other LG 27GR95QE owners who say they can't hear the fan.
As so often with fans and noise there's there's so many factors to why and how this is perceived in what way. As a potential buyer the only way to make sure you're get an inaudible experience is to not have a fan rather than hoping the fan is quiet (as per your own standards).

Whether it's faulty or just generally loud; It's hard to truly know unless I get to listen to another monitor. Basically I cannot justify dropping 1k on a monitor that isn't right. To be honest even if they do repair it for me, the whole idea of having a fan inside it which could eventually fail just irks me.

I'm eyeing up the Asus because i've read a lot of comments/reviews that theres either no fan (just a huge heatsink), or its more silent fan than the LG. Combine that with higher brightness too which would be nice in some situations.

Drop in HDR quality going from the LG to the Asus?! What’s that based on?
Based on Vincents review (https://youtu.be/BUVlamjtjmo) of the Asus PG27AQDM which also compares to the LG 27.

Associate
Maybe I should just take a break from staring at these monitors. They all have pros and cons and it's a friggin nightmare to pick one :/

LG
-Comes with a stupid fan
-Brightness is not ideal

Asus
-Crushed blacks and HDR implementation not as good as LG
-The whole internet tells me that Asus are terrible with firmware updates; fears that they may never solve the above issue

(I know theres more issues on both but these are my biggest concerns atm)

Perhaps I should to see what Corsair comes out with next month. Especially as they are the only ones willing to offer burn-in warranty.

Man of Honour
Based on Vincents review (https://youtu.be/BUVlamjtjmo) of the Asus PG27AQDM which also compares to the LG 27.
I didn’t really get that from his review. He talks about some of the issues with the Asus in HDR mode but doesn’t then say that the LG is better. Actually having tested both the Asus is better in HDR, largely because of its 30-40% brighter image.

the shadow detail in HDR was also decent on my sample and in my testing. Yes the PQ curve is off a bit but it’s not going to be something any average user would notice. The colour accuracy isn’t perfect in HDR with some shade oddities but it is at least a decent white point/ colour temp, and far brighter than the LG

Associate
I didn’t really get that from his review. He talks about some of the issues with the Asus in HDR mode but doesn’t then say that the LG is better. Actually having tested both the Asus is better in HDR, largely because of its 30-40% brighter image.

the shadow detail in HDR was also decent on my sample and in my testing. Yes the PQ curve is off a bit but it’s not going to be something any average user would notice. The colour accuracy isn’t perfect in HDR with some shade oddities but it is at least a decent white point/ colour temp, and far brighter than the LG
Interesting points. I take it you preferred the Asus overall then? did you do much HDR gaming with it?

Back
Top Bottom