ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
IPS glow is NOT orange... it never has been in my experience. I've always owned IPS and I've seen IPS glow before, but it's ALWAYS silvery/blue/grey, never orange. So either this is a unique feature of these AUO AHVA-IPS panels, or it's something else such as BLB.

Its silvery to my eyes on the right, camera sees differently.

Associate
Well, this is what a lot of people have experienced. Silver left side which is normal IPS glow and the orange coming in from bottom right. The top right is definately bleed as it disappears as I squeeze the top bezel. The bottom right doesn't shift. This was taken with my phone which exaggerates the effect but it is so intrusive in dark games! The screen has a couple of dead pixels and a spot of dirt so will be on its way back.

p777yGLSj

Associate
Well, this is what a lot of people have experienced. Silver left side which is normal IPS glow and the orange coming in from bottom right. The top right is definately bleed as it disappears as I squeeze the top bezel. The bottom right doesn't shift. This was taken with my phone which exaggerates the effect but it is so intrusive in dark games! The screen has a couple of dead pixels and a spot of dirt so will be on its way back.

p777yGLSj

Raise it uuuup.

Also do a test for me, put your index at the bottom left corner an see if the glow disappears slightly. (on the panel not bezel)

Associate
Here is mine, received it this morning. What do you think? I cant says it bothers me that much since I dont play many dark games. I will note however my camera seems to exergate the issue - the first photo was taken with my ipad air2, and the second my old samsung s2
image.jpg

20151110_115902.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
For something at this price point, that's pretty terrible, to my eye at least, and I certainly wouldn't accept it. The one thing most people don't seem to be considering here, but maybe it's of no concern, is resale value. Just because YOU don't care about some bleed and glow because you don't play dark games, certainly doesn't mean no one else does, and come the time when you want to sell this monitor on, the fact it looks like this will do you ZERO favours for what you can get for it. You're taking a big hit straight out the gate by accepting something in this condition, whether it bothers you personally now or not. But if you're OK with that, fair enough.

Associate
For something at this price point, that's terrible, to my eye at least, and I certainly wouldn't accept it. The one thing most people don't seem to be considering here, but maybe it's of no concern, is resale value. Just because YOU don't care about some bleed and glow because you don't play dark games, certainly doesn't mean no one else does, and come the time when you want to sell this monitor on, the fact it looks like this will do you ZERO favours for what you can get for it. You're taking a big hit straight out the gate by accepting something in this condition, whether it bothers you personally now or not. But again, if you're OK with that, fair enough.

Good point! I think you are right mate, as much as it pains me.

Associate
Ok so ive arranged for my monitor to be picked up. I was trying to kid myself the image quality was good on the PG279Q, but glow & bleed aside, I didnt even really like the picture quality, it had a kind of yellowish tint to it in most modes. So what have I learnt from this escapade?

-Bigger and better isnt always bigger and better
-Real LG IPS panels like on my old Pro-Art monitor may not be fast and fancy lookin, but with next to zero glow/bleed, deep blacks and beautiful natural looking colour for me personally, it outweigh's the entire g-sync/high refresh shizzle.
-To me at least, 1440p didnt seem like that big a deal over 1200p, infact I prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio on 1200p.
-E-peen just isnt worth it :D:D:D

Actually I have to say, after a test-run in BF4, although it was very smooth with no tearing, I have to say I wasnt in the least bit blown away by the experience..well not £750 blown away anyhow.

Associate
Mine just arrived today and I have to say I've VERY happy with the purchase. The difference in colour between the IPS Rog and the TN Rog is HUGE! Makes games look SO much better honestly. Very happy with it. No dead pixels but there is backlight bleed if I look for it on a completely black background with low light situations but not a deal breaker for me because the difference makes up for it. Here is the 2 ROG's side by side. Both at exactly the same settings

20151110_150304.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
@JamesMay
Yup, touching the panel on that bottom left makes the glow fade slightly. (And 1 more fingerprint not make any difference as its disgraceful the amount of fingerprints that were on the screen. This was in the first batch received by Overclockers and was a brand new unit. It seems that gloves are not worn in the manufacture process either by Asus or AUO)
Nothing seems to affect the bottom right, which to me is the main problem as its so intrusive and looks like a torch shining across the screen from the bottom right corner. If you get a unit without this keep it, even if its got a couple of dead pixels...or sell it me ;)

Associate
@JamesMay
Y
Nothing seems to affect the bottom right, which to me is the main problem as its so intrusive and looks like a torch shining across the screen from the bottom right corner. I

As you can see from my first photo, the bottom right is the definatly the worst! :p I wonder whats going on in the right hand corner that so many of these PG's have the same issue? Btw I dont think ill bother ordering another of these.

Last edited:
Associate
As you can see from my first photo, the bottom right is the definatly the worst! :p I wonder whats going on in the right hand corner that so many of these PG's have the same issue? Btw I dont think ill bother ordering another of these.

Yep, such a shame as its a step up or two from my XL2420. There are good ones out there, but few and far between it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o_RwBaiN3c

Someone over at overclockers.net was trying to figure out if the problems were batch related but it doesn't seem to be the case. You can check the manufacture date under the back lip near the sockets. Mines September 2015 but October ones have the same problems too.

Mobster
Soldato
Mine just arrived today and I have to say I've VERY happy with the purchase. The difference in colour between the IPS Rog and the TN Rog is HUGE! Makes games look SO much better honestly. Very happy with it. No dead pixels but there is backlight bleed if I look for it on a completely black background with low light situations but not a deal breaker for me because the difference makes up for it. Here is the 2 ROG's side by side. Both at exactly the same settings

20151110_150304.jpg

quite a difference, I would imagine the TN would get a little brighter if you took the pic head on to it ? Enjoy the IPS. How is the bleed/glow on yours ?

Mobster
Soldato
Yep, such a shame as its a step up or two from my XL2420. There are good ones out there, but few and far between it seems.

Someone over at overclockers.net was trying to figure out if the problems were batch related but it doesn't seem to be the case. You can check the manufacture date under the back lip near the sockets. Mines September 2015 but October ones have the same problems too.

That one is how it should look, looks awesome to be fair.

Associate

I think what im going to do is wait until the batches are consistent, im also considering the new Acer XB271HU as it looks really smart. Either way I will leave it until after Christmas and see how it goes.

Its great some are happy with their new PG279Q's, but I suspect most of those are folks who have come from a TN panel and so are impressed with the vibrance over what they had.

I put my PG279Q next to my Asus ProArt today and I had to say, the PG didnt look good at all, I immediately longed for my £750 in fact!

Can anyone please tell me if they noticed the picture on the PG had an overall yellowish tone to it? I was quite taken back by that. Maybe it was just my sample, but it didn't look natural at all, regardless of the mode.

Last edited:
Associate
quite a difference, I would imagine the TN would get a little brighter if you took the pic head on to it ? Enjoy the IPS. How is the bleed/glow on yours ?

It's basically around the same what is shown in this thread I would say. Here is a picture but I don't notice this in games or when I'm doing normal day to day activities. Camera makes it look worse than it is. Although it's very noticeable in low light.

20151110_181628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom