ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
I just want to add my thoughts ROG Swift PG279Q IPS.

I have had my swift for a week or two now & just wanted to say that this is without doubt the best monitor I have ever owned. All my previous panels have been TN and I never really believed all the hype about the difference between TN vs IPS.

Having kept an eye on the thread I was really put off buying a Swift IPS panel with all the negative posts and in fact I missed the 1st & 2nd shipments OcUK received with the monitor selling out in no time at all. So when I seen only 3 left in stock a couple of weeks ago... I decided to bite the bullet & push the button.

Boy I’m I impressed d/loaded the TFT central ICC profile & adjust the brightness & RGB accordingly… OMG this panel just pops. I have an excellent panel with very minimal glow just a little on the bottom right corner. No BLB… No dead pixels… No poor fitting panel surround. In fact would class the build quality as excellent!

I set the NV control to have my desktop set at 60Hz & when it detects a game it boots to 144hz. G-sync is just the dogs nuttz everything is just butter smooth and I luv the fact you have a wee led indicator that turns red to indicate g-sync is running.

In short and “in my experience” this monitor is a game changer, games have never looked or played so well, I luv my Swift its one the best purchases I have ever made… having moved from a TN panel to 144/165Hz G-sync IPS panel.

I would also like to say I have spent nearly £4000 this year with OcUK, everything from a new gaming chair to a new build - Monster PC with all the bell & whistles. In all my dealings I have found OcUK to be very professional, courteous & helpful giving me the expert advice I needed… and the confidence in knowing I was spending my money well.

The Asus ROG Swift PG279Q is been the icing on the cake.

Just to confirm my Swift is a well-built flawless panel with ZERO faults.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Rog Swift PG279Q

In answer to the above thread I have had the Asus Swift PG2790 since it was first sold by Overclockers and to this day have had no problem with it and I realise that I could at a later date. The picture quality is outstanding and the best I have used and I've tried a lot of monitors over time. If I do get problems then I will contact Overclockers or Asus. I had the previous Swift and I sold it before the problems started with it but at the moment I am happy with the PG279Q.

Soldato

I have had my swift for a week or two now & just wanted to say that this is without doubt the best monitor I have ever owned. All my previous panels have been TN and I never really believed all the hype about the difference between TN vs IPS.

Having kept an eye on the thread I was really put off buying a Swift IPS panel with all the negative posts and in fact I missed the 1st & 2nd shipments OcUK received with the monitor selling out in no time at all. So when I seen only 3 left in stock a couple of weeks ago... I decided to bite the bullet & push the button.

Boy I’m I impressed d/loaded the TFT central ICC profile & adjust the brightness & RGB accordingly… OMG this panel just pops. I have an excellent panel with very minimal glow just a little on the bottom right corner. No BLB… No dead pixels… No poor fitting panel surround. In fact would class the build quality as excellent!

I set the NV control to have my desktop set at 60Hz & when it detects a game it boots to 165hz. G-sync is just the dogs nuttz everything is just butter smooth and I luv the fact you have a wee led indicator that turns red to indicate g-sync is running.

In short and “in my experience” this monitor is a game changer, games have never looked or played so well, I luv my Swift its one the best purchases I have ever made… having moved from a TN panel to 144/165Hz G-sync IPS panel.

I would also like to say I have spent nearly £4000 this year with OcUK, everything from a new gaming chair to a new build - Monster PC with all the bell & whistles. In all my dealings I have found OcUK to be very professional, courteous & helpful giving me expert advice I needed… and the confidence in knowing I was spending my money well.

For the last hour I've been hovering over the buy button wondering whether to try this monitor and your post made me decide so I hold you wholly responsible.

:o

Associate

I set the NV control to have my desktop set at 60Hz & when it detects a game it boots to 165hz. G-sync is just the dogs nuttz everything is just butter smooth and I luv the fact you have a wee led indicator that turns red to indicate g-sync is running.

I would also like to say I have spent nearly £4000 this year with OcUK, everything from a new gaming chair to a new build - Monster PC with all the bell & whistles. In all my dealings I have found OcUK to be very professional, courteous & helpful giving me expert advice I needed… and the confidence in knowing I was spending my money well.

I get what you're saying. The attention to detail on the monitor seems excellent, and if you get a good one you're laughing. The colours (whilst not perfect compared to high-end graphics panels) are in another league to any TN panel. As importantly, the lack of colour / gamma shift makes everything from gaming to office app's etc so much nicer. The stand is rock solid, as you say the LED is a cool touch (I also loved the Lights in Motion) and it oozes cool.

BUT...the caveat with all of that is that IF statement. You have won the PG279Q lottery my friend. For every one monitor like yours I would estimate there are at least 10 that are rubbish. If you got a perfect one you may disupte this, but have a look at the PG279Q thread on the other overclocking forum. Nearly 700 pages and maybe 4-5 happy owners. My own example was free from dead pixels and dust, but had horrendous BLB (not glow - it did not diminish with distance and was a yellow/orange colour) and serious uniformity issues. The entire top third of the screen had a yellow/brown tint which was just horrid. Oh yeah and it also had a piece of what looked like isolation foam wedged into the bezel near the power button.

I was pretty shocked by this (as I'd read the reviews on here and on another big retailer - all of which were glowing...) but after 2 minutes of research I realised that my experience was pretty much the norm. As a result, I couldn't recommend this monitor to anyone in good faith. The Acer XB271HU uses a very similar panel but with a new mounting technique (which apparently was the cause of the glow/BLB/uniformity issues with both the XB270HU and the PG279Q). So far this monitor seems to be delivering the kind of experience you get with your PG279Q but with MUCH more consistency.

I would still actually prefer the Asus - as I said I like the LiM, and think it looks a lot nicer than the new Acer. That one looks like some kind of Transformers toy which isn't really what I want on my desk.

Soldato
I really did like the pg279q but after 2x panels both with dust in and both with poor back light bleed. Im going to wait a while before I try another (until they realise the fail rate on these panels) or for a monitor of other similar specs next year. Or if my current ROG swift dies.

Soldato
What dates did you have on your monitors ? I've read the really bad batch said September 2015 and this had the low number of happy posters. The October 2015 badged monitors seem to in general be a better batch. Wonder what the current ones are saying ?

Soldato
Hi,

Could you PM where you bought yours from? I am going to duke it out with OCUK Today as I noticed even more stuck pixels on this monitor. Which makes like6 with pixels issue snow. WHICH ACCORDING TO THEIR POLICY I am entitled to a replacement. HOWEVER THIS IS NO LONGER THE CASE, AS HAVING 5 SENT BACK IS ABUSING THEIR POLICY.

dont think i can PM you but add me on steam IROOF-TYLER and we can discuss there if your still wanting too :D

for the extra £20 its worth it, think they have them on there for £729 now aswell.

Last edited:
Associate
dont think i can PM you but add me on steam IROOF-TYLER and we can discuss there if your still wanting too :D

for the extra £20 its worth it, think they have them on there for £729 now aswell.

I've sent you a friends request on steam , sorry to hijack , i too would like where you got your monitor off . as i would like the pixel check and BLB check for £20 .

I too was refused refund with only havi g monitor for 1 working day , tried to say nothing wrong with it , and then said i had to make another RMA if i wanted to do DSR then corrected me saying CCR then said if i do that then they take a fee. i then showed him the pics on the x34 thread , he gave me a refund , then asked me for my RMA and order number , he seemed to know who i was without even asking for my RMA as he said there was only 1 x34 being tested . very rude over he phone ..

back to drawing board . thinking of XB271HU but from elsewhere .i want 3 of these (1 for now ) but not sure if 2x 980ti sc will drive 3 of them .

Last edited:
Soldato
I've sent you a friends request on steam , sorry to hijack , i too would like where you got your monitor off . as i would like the pixel check and BLB check for £20 .

I too was refused refund with only havi g monitor for 1 working day , tried to say nothing wrong with it , and then said i had to make another RMA if i wanted to do DSR then corrected me saying CCR then said if i do that then they take a fee. i then showed him the pics on the x34 thread , he gave me a refund , then asked me for my RMA and order number , he seemed to know who i was without even asking for my RMA as he said there was only 1 x34 being tested . very rude over he phone ..

back to drawing board . thinking of XB271HU but from elsewhere .i want 3 of these (1 for now ) but not sure if 2x 980ti sc will drive 3 of them .

I'll drop you a link later on :). The x34 is currently £899 there. I too am looking to wait for the xb271hu.

The Ti's should drive them as side screens always require less power than the main middle screen but it may be worth researching as its still a lot of demand.

Last edited:
Soldato
you have a forum account, use it constructively to get support. most of the staff dont read this section of the forums so wont know about your concerns even if you are typing in caps in this section.

as suggested, we have a customer service section on our forums. please use that to contact us. our returns manager will personally attend to your case and assist you.

At the very least he's letting forum users know the issues regarding the screen and customers services he's encountering. When in contact with OcUK via website and email he shouldn't be needing to post on the forums at all to be fair.

Associate
I think dell really needs release an IPS version of their recently released 27" 2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync monitor. Maybe this would be different but every dell monitor I've had or had through work has been of consistent quality.

Also, is it just me or is the price difference between Freesync to G-Sync equipped monitors getting larger..?

Soldato
I think dell really needs release an IPS version of their recently released 27" 2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync monitor. Maybe this would be different but every dell monitor I've had or had through work has been of consistent quality.

Also, is it just me or is the price difference between Freesync to G-Sync equipped monitors getting larger..?

The difference is huge on the 144hz monitors, probably because they couldnt get freesync to work at the entire hz range, as well as the PG279q having an extra 11hz! Making it faster than any other offering, and as such being bumped in price, even though its the same panel, and the response time gets worse and you get more overshoot - so probably never want to use it :/

Soldato

freesync monitors seem to be getting some pretty hefty discounts from RRP - usually discounts (outside of events like black friday) mean they are dropping to shift stock that isn't selling... conversely, gsync prices remaining high would normally indicate that stock is shifting at that price and no one sees any reason to drop the price

Associate
Lol the price just increased £50. Whys this OCUK?
I hope your not increasing it so you can put it back to £750 a week or two later and say "decreased by £50"

Associate
I'll drop you a link later on :). The x34 is currently £899 there. I too am looking to wait for the xb271hu.

The Ti's should drive them as side screens always require less power than the main middle screen but it may be worth researching as its still a lot of demand.

Would you please be so kind to send me the link as well? (PM me)

Soldato
Lol the price just increased £50. Whys this OCUK?
I hope your not increasing it so you can put it back to £750 a week or two later and say "decreased by £50"

It was out of stock so if they have just received stock again which appears so I expect OCUK put the price up because they had to pay more for them.

Be interesting to see what manufacture date/quality they are.

Back
Top Bottom