• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5870 flash to bypass 900/1300 limit

Associate
are there any newer bioses out at all?

I seem to remember hearing about an AMD ref. bios which increased the volts.

i would like to know this too, i have tried in vain to modify my xfx 5870 bios 3d voltage with rbe, no luck, it seems that most bios's dont have any voltage table except for the voltages that are already used. i hate using software programs for voltage like msi afterburner.

has any one used rbe to modify their bios with success? if so what bios was it?

Associate
yes you can select the card you want to flash by the number.

so atiflash -f -p 0 xxxx.rom for the first card

atiflash -f -p 1 xxxx.rom for the second

Associate
Flashed my crossfire 5870's, just do as said above:

atiflash -f -p 0 xxxx.rom for one card

atiflash -f -p 1 xxxx.rom for second card

Bit pointless though 'cause i cant clock much higher than 900MHz core anyway - they get too hot in crossfire i suppose.

Associate
Just tried to flash my HIS 5850 using the OPs method.
First of all the link to the Asus bios isnt working for me, so I got the Asus 5850 bios (unlocked) from TPU.
Im on a Gigabyte X58 UD3R and set first boot device as the USB stick then rebooted.
The PC goes through initial post, Windows 7 briefly shows (probably less than 1 second) then I get the following below the DMA pool info.
C/.>
I enter "atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom" and I get "error cant find asus.rom"
As the bios file is a .bin file I tried atiflash -f -p 0 asus.bin and still get an error message cant find asus.bin.
Not sure what Im doing wrong, the flash drive is an old one 128MB but its showing all the files Ive put on it, being there and intact.
Could someone please help.

The main reason Im flasing the 5850 is to see if the system will boot properly if the 5850 has a different bios. I have the delayed cold boot problem, its been like this since last October but the card performs flawlessly otherwise.
sculptor.:)

Associate
Just tried to flash my HIS 5850 using the OPs method.
First of all the link to the Asus bios isnt working for me, so I got the Asus 5850 bios (unlocked) from TPU.
Im on a Gigabyte X58 UD3R and set first boot device as the USB stick then rebooted.
The PC goes through initial post, Windows 7 briefly shows (probably less than 1 second) then I get the following below the DMA pool info.
C/.>
I enter "atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom" and I get "error cant find asus.rom"
As the bios file is a .bin file I tried atiflash -f -p 0 asus.bin and still get an error message cant find asus.bin.
Not sure what Im doing wrong, the flash drive is an old one 128MB but its showing all the files Ive put on it, being there and intact.
Could someone please help.

The main reason Im flasing the 5850 is to see if the system will boot properly if the 5850 has a different bios. I have the delayed cold boot problem, its been like this since last October but the card performs flawlessly otherwise.

Got the same sort of board as you, just the UD7 version. Dont know why it isn't working though, went fine for me, would try another flash card or USB stick... but i also have that slow post issue, takes ages with this mobo for the monitors to come on after turning the power on. Flashing my cards didn't change anything, but didn't expect that too. Just seems to be the board.

Associate
Thanks for your reply MR.B.
I was guessing it was probably the flash drive, Ill buy a new one tomorrow and try again.
Was hoping it may solve the delayed boot but if it hasnt solved yours then I guess thats not going to be a nice side effect of flashing the bios.
Strange how the mobo manufacturers and AMD havent sorted out what the problem is with the delayed cold boot, there seems to be threads on most of the forums about it.

Associate
I wasn't aware it was a ATI card issue with these boards, just thought it was the board itself or the BIOS.
I've had other issues with ATI cards and motherboards though, but never with a NV card... ATI really need to work better with mobo manufacturers :rolleyes:

Associate
Yes I was using a Nv 260GTX before I got my 5850 and had no problems with cold boot. Even now if I change gfx cards back to the 260 the system has no probs with cold boot. Once the 5850 goes back in the cold boot issue is back, updating the mobo bios has made no difference.
Its not too much of a problem for me as I have several PCs and one in particular for internet surfing (making sure my data stays safe and I dont get a virus that messes up my work) but for someone with this issue on their only PC it would be very frustrating. Come on AMD sort it out.

Associate
Ive bought a new flash drive and tried again, following the process to the letter (with the exception of using bios, Asus.HD5850.1024.090925.bin) and Im still getting File not found.
It is booting from the flash drive because it briefly flashes up with the Windows 98 screen, I just dont understand why it cant find the bios file.
Even tried typing in the full bios file name and it still comes back with file not found and then "ERROR 0FL01"
Anyone any idea what is going on, this is doing my head in.:confused:
sculptor.

Associate
Still no joy!
Ill go through this step by step:
My Flash drive is recognised as "G" which shouldnt make any difference as it appears to be booting.
Ive downloaded all necessary sofware.
I have a problem with placeing the HP BOOTFILES in a New Folder then naming that folder BOOTFILES. When I format using the HP format tool it says "there are no dos files". To get arround this I simply change the name of the extracted HP BOOTFILES to BOOTFILES and this works.
I then place ATIFLASH into the G (Do I need to also put in the Atiflash chg. file, tried it with and without) Next I place the Asus bios in G ( if I rename it from .bin to .rom Windows warnes me the file may be unuseable).
Then I reboot, change to USB HDD as first boot dev.
Reboot from the Flash drive, Windows 98 screen briefly shows, then Im back below the DMI data pool, with C:/>, here I enter " atiflash, space, -f, space, -p, space, 0, space, asus.rom (have tried with both .bin and .rom depending on the name of the file)
I am using the same bios file that I tried yesterday downloaded from TPU, obviously Ive downloaded a new file today. Do you think there is a problem with the bios file?
sculptor.:confused::confused:

Back
Top Bottom