• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

i had to force 4x edge AA for it to work, but it definitely does work. it works with me1 as well.

I tried gta4 but thats a lagfest. It doesnt make any difference unless you force 4x AA and when you do a single 5850 is not enough @ 1920x1200

i had to force 4x edge AA for it to work, but it definitely does work. it works with me1 as well.

I tried gta4 but thats a lagfest. It doesnt make any difference unless you force 4x AA and when you do a single 5850 is not enough @ 1920x1200

What game are we talking about ?

Works right off the bat in TrackMania UF stars edition with no in game or CCC other AA applied.

Last edited:
ah, well its gta4 isnt it lol. forcing AA is very slow with gta4 so it was never going to be brilliant - ive got my 5850 at 900/110 and i was getting some very choppy framrates with the gpu maxed out. But from the short play i had it didnt make much of a difference if any unless you force some sort of aa. Other games fair much better though!

ah, well its gta4 isnt it lol. forcing AA is very slow with gta4 so it was never going to be brilliant - ive got my 5850 at 900/110 and i was getting some very choppy framrates with the gpu maxed out. But from the short play i had it didnt make much of a difference if any unless you force some sort of aa. Other games fair much better though!

LOL no surprise as GTA4 is heavy enough on its own.

Is it just me or is this new form of AA much like the "Definition" option you get in GTA IV? Basically cheating by blurring everything slightly, thus losing any fine detail.

I'd have to see it in action before I pass comment, but from what I gather, I don't think this an AA replacement for the visual connoisseur.

Is it just me or is this new form of AA much like the "Definition" option you get in GTA IV? Basically cheating by blurring everything slightly, thus losing any fine detail.

I'd have to see it in action before I pass comment, but from what I gather, I don't think this an AA replacement for the visual connoisseur.

Yeah you lose the fine detail as the whole image is treated and not just polygon edges. I like my image pin sharp but I would also like this option to force AA in games that I normally can't with standard AA.

erm, its somewhere in the middle. edges arent pin sharp but they are aliased well and you dont seem to loose much texture detail, not that ive done many side my side comparisons but what i have seen is quite acceptable. the only issue really is the blurring of huds and text, things like that. Its not horrific but it will grate some people. Personally im quite happy with it :)

+1

However hats off to ATI/AMD for adding more AA features to their range. I am a massive AA whore its nice to see new AA being introduced into the arena. I just wish it was one which vastly improved the IQ. :)

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to blur the overall image as badly as other similiar implementations - but it does have some reduction in the vibrancy and sharpness of the image. It seems quite acceptable in some games and atleast gives you the option in games that don't work too well with MSAA.

Personally tho I'd rather have my 32x TRAA - sure it hits performance but I can still run around most games with 50+fps on a GTX470.

Back
Top Bottom