• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Soldato
This is pathetic, people can't be arsed to spend 30 sec using Google Search.

If you don't have any specific questions and you're just lost in CCC (which is almost impossible but meh), have a look into TweakGuides article here - http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html. It hasn't changed a lot for ages.

Ok, this looks like a great feature...

However its another example as to why I do not install the Catalyst control center...

Hear me out:

Lets say you enable the new Morphological AA in the ccc, what settings do you put in the game's display options?

AA of, AA maxed etc etc etc....

I guess one could just experiment and see whats better.....

If I do install the ccc... I dont know what settings to set for a 5870....

Dont not want to make performance worse, and not know that their worse.... but a settings im put in the ccc...

Morphological AA is a post-processing effect. It doesn't render anti-aliased image at first so you can always set AA whether or not you're using Morphological AA. You have to understand that CCC forces options on the drivers unlike in-game options, that or software controlled. That's why you can often force anti-aliasing using CCC rather than not-available option in a game. There are different methods of applying anti-aliasing but I think they're explained fairly well.

Standard Multi-sampling AA is the best performance:quality setting. It does compromise on the IQ compared to Super-sampling though. The latter is a performance hog and always has been, it's better to use 4x/8x MSAA than 2x SSAA imo. There's also Adaptative Anti-aliasing, the one that was suppose to offer very similar IQ to SSAA but never use as many resources (AA would be applied to only some parts of the image using complicated algorithms). It causes more problems than it solves though. If you set this in CCC and you're having image distortion of some kind, my bet is on this setting.

There are also quite a few AA filters, I would narrow them down to the most common two - Box and Edge Detect. The first one is a standard AA setting that you probably know of, the latter is expected to give you at least 3x AA IQ you'd get with box with lesser performance impact than you'd think. It doesn't always work well but it is often better to use this setting with 2-4x MSAA than 8x MSAA box. It's really down to personal preferences and the games you play (which is why they don't suggest any besides the least complicated box one).

No dude, I think its a fair point.

It makes things unneccessarily more complex, and there is no documentation either....

Anyway, each to his own I guess.

Im just a stickler for things like this.

I mean, as an exampe you set the setting for aa and af in the ccc to max (5870), you play a game and get crap performance for instance.

The game or the ccc options u think? If you leave the ccc options as they are and go in to the game and change the ingame option, does it change the ccc options?

Also knowing what aa method to choose, how do we know which is the better method?

You'll get crappy performance using CCC because you're mostly likely going to change other settings too. That's why you have to think what you're doing. Forcing AA in CCC will ignore whatever AA you set in-game (unless you put it as application controlled). The only options I have forced in CCC are AF x16, Edge Detect AA filter and Triple Buffering. Other 3D settings are set to default (Application controlled, meaning controlled by the game).

Even if you leave everything on default and change AA method only (to Super-sampling), you'll see performance hit in a game. It will apply however much AA you previously set in-game and using the method you have set in CCC. It's not complex in any way if you try to understand it.

BTW, Morphological AA will work best with no other AA set either in-game or CCC. It's there to improve performance not IQ.

Again, ccc gives too many options.... what to choose.

Choose not to post and do some reading.

BTW, this method looks like a winrar. I might be able to extend the lifetime of my 5850 by a long time. Radeon 6850 becomes the best budget graphics card with it.

Soldato
AMD have released an exe to websites so they can apply the MLAA effect to screenshots so they can show the effect.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036330853&postcount=40

Got a hold of the tool and my source didn't mind I spread it, but neither of us have instructions in how to use it. Could you enlighten us?

http://www.load.to/caNlEWPtoi/mlaa.zip

On CMD, there are only options to select input/output directory.

Edit:
I figured it out.
Stored mlaa.exe in C:\mlaa
made a dir c:\mlaa\MLAA
I took screenshots with Fraps in PNG format
Put the screenshots in c:\mlaa
Entered via command line (cmd.exe) from within c:\MLAA:

mlaa -in c:\mlaa -out c:\mlaa\mlaa

the PNG were then processed and the processed images were stored in c:\mlaa\mlaa with a MLAA_ added to the name (MLAA_ME2.PNG). It seems to process any screenshot and apply MLAA to them, so anyone can check MLAA effect on existing screenshots

Don
This looks a really nice feature from ATI, quite impressive.
Now do i get the Asus 6870, i know i would see no difference to the 470 but it is a new toy!
I should maybe just wait for the 69** series, but it is hard work :)

Caporegime
This could have course work on the Nvidia cards as it uses Microsoft's DirectCompute which is part of the DX11 API. I suspect they would rather use CUDA though.

Anyone tried it on Mass Effect 2 and get results?

As I mentioned earlier, its just an edge-based LP filter.
Nothing hardware specific and very simple, I actually have code that does similar (but inverted) things I cobbled together in MATLAB in about 15 minutes for some image processing tasks. The trick is just to get some fast Direct compute or CUDA algorithms.

Soldato
AAAAAARGH I want a 6 series card now, badly, sod nvidia and physx and 3d whatever blahblah, I want this AA without a noticeable performance hit and that works in any game ( GTA IV, BFBC2, etc :D:D:D).

Soldato
One draw-back of MLAA is its potential for 'snap to pixel' because it lacks sub-pixel precision. This means still shots and slow moving/still scenes will look great, especially for close up action, but moving scenes and detail far from the camera may not look as good. Single pixel width text may become unrecognizable, for example an in-game background computer screen in a scene with terminal commands becomes a mushy mess.

Yeah no replacement for your standard AA, nice if you can't force AA though.

Nvidia could do this no problem, even God of war 3 on the PS3 uses it. I guess they see it as no substitute for proper AA, but it would be great for cards that could not handle standard AA in games.

Last edited:
Associate
yep, it definitely works in ME2 and that's the steam version, too. for whatever reason though, Afterburner isnt capturing the effect when i take a screenshot, gonna try fraps instead. I know Afterburner isnt as this new AA mode blurs the osd but the osd comes out clean in the shots. weird lol.
What settings are you using in addition to MLAA?
It doesn't seem to have much an effect for me, while fps has dropped from 60~ to 40~.

Jaggies seem to be pretty severe in ME2, especially noticeable on-board the Normandy 2 on the floor panels of Shepard's cabin.

Back
Top Bottom