• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Associate
Don't get me wrong, new features are always welcome, but this filter has very limited use imo. Aside from the overall image, HUD objects, particulary text suffer from distortion- it looks horrible in Aion, Starcraft II and FFXIV. The only time I can see myself using it is for GTA4, and the game's built-in blur ("Definition: Off" / P key) does just as good a job, with no performance impact whatsoever.

Although, I suppose it's good for those on a budget using mid/low-end cards, who wish to play at high resolutions.

Edit: works with AA set to app preference and AAmode to MSAA, on mine.

Soldato
There are a handfull of games where MSAA simply can't be used, or can only be used on some parts of the image. This is why a post process method is a great thing for a gamer to have in the toolbox. Very useful feature.

Your turn Nvidia! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese give us a nice post-process AA mode :)

Soldato
I just tested it on Armed Assault 2: Operation Arrowhead. Whilst it looks better than having AA disabled it does seem to degrade the image quality in a way that seems akin to lowering the resolution whilst maintaining the 'real estate' of a higher resolution. There was still noticeable crawling on some textures and there was certainly a loss of sharpness. I think it could be a nice addition for applications that either can't use normal AA or that run too slowly with it enabled but it is no like-for-like substitute for the real thing.

Soldato
I had trouble getting it to work as well. I had to uninstall the whole lot and install the modded set that final8y posted eariler. It worked OK then.
i've tryed that 4 times....

Maybe people are forgetting to change from "standard" to "edge-detect"
i will try that.

has anyone got it workking on f1 2010 or fallout: new vegas?

also are these settings set right??
62959751.png

20956970.png

Associate
Anyone had any luck running this on 5770? Option is there, but it's not showing up in game so far...

Edit: Have it working in Fallout: New Vegas!!!

But... WAY too blurry -_-

If I could turn it the filter down slightly this might be useful, but on my 1440x900 monitor (I hear the effect works better for higher resolution monitors), I'm not sure if I'd use this...

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone had any luck running this on 5770? Option is there, but it's not showing up in game so far...

I tried it on my 5770 in Garrysmod (since its quick to load). With the option checked, the text is pretty blurry, so I assume something is going on. But jaggies were still noticeable in-game. Less noticeable than with nothing on, but still there.

Tried Just Cause 2 and didn't see any difference with it on and off.

So it may not be working properly. Unfortunately I don't have many games other than Source games to test :(

Associate
All you need to do is tick MLAA, just leave other AA options to application preference, no point changing filter either.

It works fine, even tested this on my HD5770 system and that's working well with it also. :)

has anyone got it workking on f1 2010 or fallout: new vegas?

Yes, works fine in both.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea I tried Fallout 3 (just remembered it was installed!) and it does seem to be working on the 5770.

Strangely though, I took a few comparison pictures with Fraps with it on and off in the exact same spot, but they both looked the same. Whilst in-game the jaggies were noticeably reduced.

Does Fraps not pick up the MLAA properly since its a post-processing effect?

Associate
Does Fraps not pick up the MLAA properly since its a post-processing effect?
Yeah, exactly that. Fraps captures the frame before the PP effects are applied so you won't see them in the screenshots you made. Hence ATI releasing that special tool to apply the MLAA effect to screenshots.

Associate
Ahh i see. Thanks :cool:
From another forum (if you're comfortable using command line):

Here's the tool:
http://www.load.to/caNlEWPtoi/mlaa.zip

Example on how to use it:
Extract the file to c:\mlaa
Make a directory in c:\mlaa and call it output
Put all the .png images you want processed in c:\mlaa
Select start menu -> run and enter cmd.exe to open command promt.
write as following:
cd \
cd mlaa
mlaa -in c:\mlaa -out c:\mlaa\output
All the images in mlaa will now be processed and put in c:\mlaa\output with MLAA_ added to their filename.

Associate
how the hell does that work when there's no depth info in the screen captures? that doesnt smell right to me lol
I've not read fully into how MLAA works, but as fas as I know, it's just a post processing effect that applied to the entire screen, so even menus or text will get blurry or "aliased". This is why a that tool will work the same way as it's just like applying a (blur) filter in Photoshop or similar.

Ideally the screenshot will have to be lossless though (i.e. pngs) or you'd be applying a filter on top of jpeg compression artifacts which won't give accurate results to what you see in games.

Back
Top Bottom