• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Soldato
Huh?? I was about to post about playing round with it on my 5850 in ME2, and how it looks alright - not as good as 4x AA and a little soft, but no performance hit.

Dunno what's going on today though - this MLAA is knocking me back to 50fps in a certain scene I'm testing on, which is bizarre as I can stay at 60 forcing 4x or even 8x 'proper' MSAA. Hmmmmmm. I'll stick to real AA then. Was a good option in crysis though when it was behaving itself correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
Im liking the idea of this new AA feature, I seriously want one of these cards but I want to wait till ive built my new system and also seen what the HD6900 cards have to offer :)

Soldato
just tried this with eyefinity on l4d2; it was around 25fps; completely unplayable.

i noticed however that one gpu would not be doing anywhere near the same workload as the other 2, which i think is the cause of this.

Soldato
Huh?? I was about to post about playing round with it on my 5850 in ME2, and how it looks alright - not as good as 4x AA and a little soft, but no performance hit.

Dunno what's going on today though - this MLAA is knocking me back to 50fps in a certain scene I'm testing on, which is bizarre as I can stay at 60 forcing 4x or even 8x 'proper' MSAA. Hmmmmmm. I'll stick to real AA then. Was a good option in crysis though when it was behaving itself correctly.

AFAIK, ME2 has an fps cap of 50.

In what situations? I've been running Fallout NV with MLAA and I'm getting more than 5FPS.

6fps? :p

Permabanned
morphological%20aa.png

We really have to pull out finger out and fast! :(

Permabanned
just tried this with eyefinity on l4d2; it was around 25fps; completely unplayable.

i noticed however that one gpu would not be doing anywhere near the same workload as the other 2, which i think is the cause of this.

Maybe that's why they've not enabled it on 5 series yet officially, they must still be working on implementing it for such situations.

Soldato
Yeah GTA4's definition option is basically the same thing, less aliasing but everything goes slightly blurry, which on PC resolutions can look poor compared to standard AA which just works on the polygon edges so maintains a pin sharp image.

Associate
Wow....
Given the leaks of the 6970, and how good it looks.
I think i may try and sell my 5870 now and get as much for it while i can.

Was gonna buy another 5870 but this may be a better and cheaper option..

Soldato
people getting the major performance hit seem to be using eyefinity and/or Crossfire regardless this seems great and any such issues I would think be fixable in new drivers

Soldato
Wow....
Given the leaks of the 6970, and how good it looks.

I take it you're referring to the below benchmarks scores from some unknown Chinese website, yes the way they type out the results it does look encouraging.:rolleyes:

capturezp.jpg

And the pics are from months a go, I even started a thread on them way back at the beginning of September. Waits for a more credible source for info

Back
Top Bottom