• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Soldato
When Nvidia pull there finger out and actually help gamers instead of restricting them then you may see this sorta thing

From everything I've read to date, nV do a lot more to help developers than ATI ever did. Not sure how else you want them to "help gamers"?

they do...?

All i have seen is the Stupid How its ment to be played yet on All there games they reduce game quility for ATI card owners and in some cases compleatly crippled the games and removed stuff that would work perfectly fine with ATI cards because the felt like it.

AA in batman and Physx for CPU's for one.

Here we go again:(

Soldato
Just got MLAA up and running on my 5850. Haven't seen it in action yet but I have to say I'm not impressed by how it smudges text up on CSS server browser/menus. Maybe I've done something wrong? I'll get a screenie up later

Associate
Just got MLAA up and running on my 5850. Haven't seen it in action yet but I have to say I'm not impressed by how it smudges text up on CSS server browser/menus. Maybe I've done something wrong? I'll get a screenie up later
That's how it works, it essentially blurs areas of high contrast so text will get smudged too:

morphological%20aa%20text.gif

I suppose it's the pay-off for having virtually no frame rate impact.

Soldato

That's how it works the whole image gets the MLAA treatment, textures, text ect. It's equivalent to looking at your screen slightly out of focus.

Soldato
If your game doesn't contain lots of text, I think it's a fantastic additional option. I'd certainly try it out if I had the option :)
I think some people are just being too picky. If you don't like it, don't use it, simple really!

I think it looks like it works well myself, I'm sure with things moving it will look a lot better compared to a static zoomed in or resized screenshot... ;) Would it be possible to see a 1080p video of it in action on youtube or does fraps not work here?

It looks good to me, in fact my 8800GT can run most games at 1900x1200 nicely with AA off, turn AA on though and it struggles, so this new AA would be ideal for me.

Soldato
I think it looks like it works well myself, I'm sure with things moving it will look a lot better compared to a static zoomed in or resized screenshot.

One draw-back of MLAA is its potential for 'snap to pixel' because it lacks sub-pixel precision. This means still shots and slow moving/still scenes will look great, especially for close up action, but moving scenes and detail far from the camera may not look as good. Single pixel width text may become unrecognizable, for example an in-game background computer screen in a scene with terminal commands becomes a mushy mess.

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/amd_hd6870_hd6850_launch_review/index.php?p=4

Permabanned
The technology is very good. Played some old games arma / silent hunter and it looks very very good IMHO. Rez is important to don't try this with anything less than 1080p.
It's amazing how many critics there are for something that u need to experience to evaluate....But then again some ppl see the world through green glasses.

Soldato
One draw-back of MLAA is its potential for 'snap to pixel' because it lacks sub-pixel precision. This means still shots and slow moving/still scenes will look great, especially for close up action, but moving scenes and detail far from the camera may not look as good. Single pixel width text may become unrecognizable, for example an in-game background computer screen in a scene with terminal commands becomes a mushy mess.

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/amd_hd6870_hd6850_launch_review/index.php?p=4

Could you just be clear that you are quoting from an article rather than writing it yourself :) (just to avoid confusion, not trying to start a fight :) )

Good to get the feedback, will be looking for the further article they mention where they will be going into the pro's and con's in more depth.

Back
Top Bottom