• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Soldato
One draw-back of MLAA is its potential for 'snap to pixel' because it lacks sub-pixel precision. This means still shots and slow moving/still scenes will look great, especially for close up action, but moving scenes and detail far from the camera may not look as good. Single pixel width text may become unrecognizable, for example an in-game background computer screen in a scene with terminal commands becomes a mushy mess.

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/amd_hd6870_hd6850_launch_review/index.php?p=4
I see, it's a shame that there are no high res vids around right now as I'd wouldn't mind seeing some, even if they were only 720p ones on youtube... As I'd like to be able to judge for myself how well it works.

From what I've seen of MLAA, to me it looks better then no AA at all, and I think that it's great for those of us with 24" + screens who cannot afford to blow £200 on a gfx card while still getting a decent framerate.

Permabanned
Just got MLAA up and running on my 5850. Haven't seen it in action yet but I have to say I'm not impressed by how it smudges text up on CSS server browser/menus. Maybe I've done something wrong? I'll get a screenie up later

I remember back when I had a Geforce 3, Quincunx used to do that as well :(

Caporegime
1288176665.png

Rofl.

Soldato
Doesn't seem worth the big sacrifice of IQ for a bit of AA. The SC2 on the OP in particular looks terrible and blurry with MLAA, with just such a big hit to the definition. Then seeing what it does to text/UIs? your eyes would already have to be bad enough for it not to matter either way for you to even consider MLAA.

Associate

Ha, yes I got something similar to this myself on another program running in windows (PS3 media server) - for some reason it blurred most of the interface. Battlefield was running in another window at the same time which is probably the cause of it (maybe causes 3d mode or something).

Anyway if anyone is interested here are some Battlefield Bad Company 2 screenshots showing with/without MLAA - it is very subtle difference and you have to view original 1920 x 1200 at 1x zoom to see it.

Associate
But that'd be reporting 80% of the posts in this forum :p

Aye, I had thought about that. :(

They should make a sub-forum in here and call it 'The Playground'. All the children who want to post X vs Y or have a good BAWWW about why Nvidia/AMD are worse than Hitler can troll away within to their hearts content.

Soldato
I tried it on my 5770, but didn't notice much, if any, difference. Could just be because I'm running at a low res (well my monitors max res of 1280x1024).

Thanks for that. I was just wondering if it made any noticable difference as there can be a lot going on at any one time in JC2 and MLAA in theory could make a big difference (whether that is good or bad I don't know).

Soldato
TBH, those pictures in BC2 are difficult to tell from as you don't appear to be in the same locations, or looking the same way (or is that just me?)

It's also a pain in the arse to browse between them. Quite easily the worst image host site I've been on. I gave up just trying to get the first two images to load in separate tabs in their original sizes.

Get a better bleedin' image host.

Associate
TBH, those pictures in BC2 are difficult to tell from as you don't appear to be in the same locations, or looking the same way (or is that just me?)

No, it's just you not looking carefully! Each pair (1st + 2nd), (3rd + 4th), etc. is the EXACT same screenshot the first without AA the second with MLAA... I used AMDs program which does the exact same filter pass on the framebuffer to produce the copies of the screenshots taken previously...

Associate
It's also a pain in the arse to browse between them. Quite easily the worst image host site I've been on. I gave up just trying to get the first two images to load in separate tabs in their original sizes.

Get a better bleedin' image host.

If you can't figure out how to save images from Flickr (one of the biggest image sites on the web) then what the hell are you doing on an overclocking forum!!! FFS

Actions->View all sizes->Original->right-click or "Download original size" and save to your machine...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom