• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Permabanned
Awesome. But, uh, that set of instructions looks 'fun'. Oh well, time to go screw up my graphics drivers. :p

Don't forget to come back to let us all know that the drivers have screwed up because they're ATI/AMD, rather than because you've been messing around with them as well. :D

Soldato
Can't seem to get this new AA working at all and this is with a 6850, I've tried everything suggested here with CCC settings and still no go, thats with 10.10a hotfix. I always appear to end up with either no AA at all and jaggies everywhere, or normal AA with the accompanying performance hit.
same issue with my 5850. the MLAA options are in CCC but doesn't seem to do anything when enabled.

Soldato
Not sure if serious... does Apple have anything to do with nVidia, AMD or MLAA? Or is this some kind of tech joke? :p

lol... not sure if you are serious either! just in case: Apple Quicktime is a product and Apple in habit of defending their copyright/IP.

(Sure I'm about to get mocked for explaining that now though lol).

Soldato
To those who are saying this AA is the same thing as the blur filter (definition off) in GTA4 ... sorry, but you're wrong.

GTA4 is exactly that, a blur filter, this on the other hand is actually doing some form of anti-aliasing, with the side effect of blurring textures slightly, though nowhere near as bad as the blur filter in GTA4.

Caporegime
GTA4 is exactly that, a blur filter, this on the other hand is actually doing some form of anti-aliasing, with the side effect of blurring textures slightly, though nowhere near as bad as the blur filter in GTA4.

Sounds like NVidia's Quincunx AA? that used to give 4x AA for a 2x hit and blur textures slightly.

Associate
I believe it's actually doing some form of edge/jaggy detection and only bluring those. I'm wondering if they are actually doing the edge detection on the depth-buffer. That would seem like the best thing to do, but perhaps there are constraints I'm not aware of.

In contrast a blur filter just blurs everything indescriminately.

Soldato
I believe it's actually doing some form of edge/jaggy detection and only bluring those.

Nope it does textures the lot.

The Soft full screen effect is too much for me, I may use it if I couldn't force AA but TBH a prefer my IQ to be sharp with no loss in texture detail.

maa4l.jpg
maa3l.jpg

The blurred IQ is more apparent if you open the screens in tabs and switch between them.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/3

Last edited:
Soldato
It uses the contrast between the lights and darks to find the edges. So it shouldnt blur the whole texture unless its really noisy. There's no depth buffer in post processing the resultant 2D image.

Which means it will work on alpha textures(chainlink fences, leaves etc) without extra trickery.

Permabanned
From everything I've read to date, nV do a lot more to help developers than ATI ever did. Not sure how else you want them to "help gamers"?

they do...?

All i have seen is the Stupid How its ment to be played yet on All there games they reduce game quility for ATI card owners and in some cases compleatly crippled the games and removed stuff that would work perfectly fine with ATI cards because the felt like it.

AA in batman and Physx for CPU's for one.

Back
Top Bottom