• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

As said with mlaa you lose definition, so your HD image goes all soft and dare I say it slightly blurry, yeah it's a nice feature to have but it's not a replacement for standard AA.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me with that comment.

Good to have for games where you can't use AA, or are suffering from performance issues, but still don't want the jaggies.

For what it's worth, I've not bothered with AA for year's, which has always allowed me to get away with slightly inferior cards, but now in my old age I'm getting a little bit more fussy, especially since I got a 1920*1200 monitor.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me with that comment.

Good to have for games where you can't use AA, or are suffering from performance issues, but still don't want the jaggies.

For what it's worth, I've not bothered with AA for year's, which has always allowed me to get away with slightly inferior cards, but now in my old age I'm getting a little bit more fussy, especially since I got a 1920*1200 monitor.

Check out Ejizz's picture, all they would need to do is add a sharpen filter pass at the very end and then the issue is no more.

Check out Ejizz's picture, all they would need to do is add a sharpen filter pass at the very end and then the issue is no more.

But you will never get away from the fact that it is not usign sub pixel-precision so you will get pixel-pooping in action.

Sharpening will probably only make this worse.

It is kind of a good idea, but is way too late. The most AA I would use (need) for 1680x1050 is only 2 or 4x max, so isn't really a performance hit any way. I guess for lower resolutions with budget/mid range cards it would be good, if it becomes available.

I found the text too blurry so am going back to AA.

But you will never get away from the fact that it is not usign sub pixel-precision so you will get pixel-pooping in action.

Sharpening will probably only make this worse.

True, AMD devs would have introduced a so called " sharpening filter " if it worked to any degree. Surely they would have noticed how MLAA blurs the IQ.

lol @ using a photo editor to make the MLAA image look sharper than the one with no AA.

Last edited:
True, AMD devs would have introduced a so called " sharpening filter " if it worked to any degree. Surely they would have noticed how MLAA blurs the IQ.

The thing the way MLAA works and the way an appropriate sharpening would work are almost identical, just using inverted convolution kernels.

Therefore you can bur the edges with a Gaussian filter, then apply the inverted filter and sharpen them again and get back almost the same image (except image data has been lost).

If you want a sharp image don't blur it in the first place!.
What would be better than a sharpening filter, whcih just reverses the blurring filter, is just to have user selectable levels of blurring.

To prevent blurring of text, this would be quite easy to do. You can basically use fairly standard character recognition code and not apply blurring to areas of text.

But you can never really remove the problem of sub-pixel precision.

Right earlier on in this thread I said this morphological AA didn't work, but my son started to play WoW last night and instantly complained that the picture on screen was "blurry" also COD 4 was too, but both were running really well so it must be working.

This reminds me of Nvidia's quincunx AA. It was cheap (I think 4xQAA was as taxing as 2xAA) but also fairly blurry and I think it affected the HuD too.

From Jan 2010. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-anti-aliasing-effect-article

And. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mlaa-360-pc-article MLAA already in use on PS3 (nvidia chip/cell spu)
On PC, the low cost of the team's MLAA means that a hybrid approach can make a lot of sense - Jimenez believes that an optimum configuration would be a 4x MSAA pass followed by the MLAA. The first pass would reduce the kind of sub-pixel issues that MLAA typically has problems with, while the second pass would tidy up additional edges.

DLAA used in Force Unleashed II http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lucasarts-on-tfu2-tech-blog-entry

MLAA comparisons. Perhaps linked previously, it's a long thread. http://www.iryokufx.com/mlaa/gallery/index.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not sure if Source games like MLAA very much.

Just tried the video stress test on CSS:

MLAA on MSAA off = 96.05fps
MLAA off MSAA 8x = 250.08fps

Does seem like one of those things to use a last resort if the games doesn't support normal AA or else performance is better with MLAA at the expense of a bit of sharpness.

This reminds me of Nvidia's quincunx AA. It was cheap (I think 4xQAA was as taxing as 2xAA) but also fairly blurry and I think it affected the HuD too.

Yes I mentioned it earlier, NVidia have had Quincuxx for years but it always got ignored presumably due to the negative side effects (blurring textures).

It's funny the hype it is getting now that ATI have added similar. :p

Last edited:

Does it really matter? Last time I checked, the PS3 renders most of it's games at 720p or less, meaning that on most tv's the image is being upscaled, which itself adds a horrible blurring effect. Plus, I doubt you'll be worrying about pixel perfect sharpness when playing games at distance from the comfort of your couch.

Back
Top Bottom