Audi owners in here!

Associate
Hah, yeah, love the old thing, cheapest car I ever bought but something about it
yea that's how I fell about my old A4.

the W124 are good old motors. Ive owned a few over the years.
Ive got a mate that's a bit of a Mercedes pervert..
Hes normally good for spares as well if you ever need anything.
he knows his stuff on them. he has a bit of a collection going..

Associate
After a bit of advice please.

I've got a 2010 Audi A4 2.0TDIe, which is now coming up to 144,000 miles. Its been serviced in accordance with the schedule, had the cambelt done and recently had the DMF and clutch replaced. How long do you think I can realistically expect the car to last (in terms of miles)? I've read places which say 300,000+ and others saying to replace it now.

I love the car, and don't really want to replace it but I feel I at least need to consider my options.

Cheers in advance.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
How long is a piece of string? (sorry had to :p)

Just drive it until it becomes uneconomical to repair. The engine isn't going to explode beyond repair when it hits a certain mileage.

Soldato
There's literally no answer to that question. It might be crushed by a bus tomorrow. If you keep maintaining it, it could go on past a million miles. Who knows.

In reality a car "lasts" until it becomes more of a pain in the arse to fix and maintain than it's worth - but it's a 2010 car and a lot of these issues come with age not mileage. The car isnt just going to fall apart any minute. If it's had the DMF and clutch done then it's one big expense out the way - if you do what everyone in the office says and replace a car because the mileage is quite high, then you'd be buying one that might need the same job doing before too long. If this old mondeo can reach nearly 1m miles, your Audi should last a fair bit longer too

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601200250040

and some brave soul managed to put more tso many miles on this 206 that it has 1 million more than your audi

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601250390475

Caporegime
Both of those cars will have had the mileage entered incorrectly...... :rolleyes:

Though there are some 300K+ ex taxi's knocking about on Autotrader. You dont really see anything with more than 400K for sale though, aside from ex LTI london cabs.

This 2010 Mondeo is on nearly 300,000 miles and going strong. Still looks smart too! https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18588257&highlight=taxi&page=5

Whats more, the owner says it still has the original clutch, flywheel, injectors, turbo, and so on! :p

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate its an open ended answer to an extent, just after the general consensus of when people feel it is right to change.

And yes, the clutch and DMF was quite a large expense!!! I guess the thing I like is that I know the history of the car, something I won't get if I go for a used one elsewhere.

Associate
My A4 is about 170 miles shy of 200k my old one was on 230k and still going strong. I had a passat that was sitting on 255k that probably drove better than a vectra with half its miles.. ( the passat went on to do 400k after I sold it ) as long as its looked after and maintained it will keep going.

on another note.. I had a 2.0 dti vectra that had done 180k and was the biggest pile of junk I ever owned!! I sold it and bought the passat with 215 on it at the time and done another 40k without any major problem..

Soldato
I've been eying up a 2004 RS6, my S4 needs a new clutch, this one is nice and 535bhp lol what could go wrong?!

My old one has just gone on sale on eBay for £11k - I spent over £15k on maintenance and aftermarket parts in 2014 (planned to keep it 3-5 years, lost job :() and the new owner Nev hasn't had a single issue. I'd happily say it's the best maintained RS6 for sale on the web.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-RS6-...501942?hash=item2108ea6d76:g:yJMAAOSw5dNWoS6T

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate its an open ended answer to an extent, just after the general consensus of when people feel it is right to change.

And yes, the clutch and DMF was quite a large expense!!! I guess the thing I like is that I know the history of the car, something I won't get if I go for a used one elsewhere.
Unless you're really itching for a change, keep it. You've just spent a lot on it, so run it until you're not comfortable throwing money at it. It's only 5-6 years old so it's hardly ancient. Perhaps wait until the current A6 is replaced?

Soldato
I took a look around a R8 V10 plus a few days ago, the interior is a real step forward from the old one but the price tag is shocking, £150k for a audi!!!

Nice car when they are £75k used but not worth twice that much.

Soldato
I took a look around a R8 V10 plus a few days ago, the interior is a real step forward from the old one but the price tag is shocking, £150k for a audi!!!

Nice car when they are £75k used but not worth twice that much.

My dealership is trying to get me in one but I just can't do the new exterior look and don't want to lose the manual!

The interior looks great though, except for the massive weird shifter that looks like something out of a boat? I don't think it could be less "sporty".

ZyMqfMf.jpg

At £150k and no manual option I would probably be shopping at McLaren for my next car or may be just give up and buy a Tesla.

Back
Top Bottom