Audi owners in here!

Caporegime
Sat in the latest Q7 today. Wow. What a sense of space and luxury, and probably the perfect family car.

I want one really quite badly now.

It had virtual cockpit and a panoramic sunroof as the options I could see clearly. Lovely car.

Underboss
out of curiosity guys

can somebody explain to me all this S line, TFSI etc etc please ?

and another just out of curiosity, what Audi would you recommend me with about 5 to 6K to spend, something quite fast that's not a convertible, modern looking, 2008 minimum, oh and must be petrol ?

I don't mind is its an auto or a manual
I don't mind if its a small hatch back or a saloon or a Sports car but must be newer the better

only drive small miles to work so MPG isn't much of an issue..

Associate
Stuck a 128GB card in all appears to be working - As you say it could do with a bit of thought about how to index them on the SD card but all working at the moment.

Matt

It's possible to transfer playlists onto the SD card (or create them from scratch). Much much easier to navigate than endless folders.

The link show you. It's not as complicated as it looks, especially if you transfer the media library in the same folder format as on your PC.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...ting-MMI-to-recognise-Playlists-on-an-SD-Card

Caporegime
out of curiosity guys

What do you want to know exactly? S-Line is a trim level (think bodykit, lowered suspension, bigger wheels and typically more "sporty" seats). TFSI is an engine technology (turbo petrol engine in this case).

and another just out of curiosity, what Audi would you recommend me with about 5 to 6K to spend, something quite fast that's not a convertible, modern looking, 2008 minimum, oh and must be petrol ?

I don't mind if its a small hatch back or a saloon or a Sports car but must be newer the better

Not certain I would recommend an Audi at £5-6k. Unless you want particularly high-mileage, you're looking at limiting yourself to 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI A3, A4 and the occasional higher-mileage MK2 TT. You can definitely get a newer and likely quicker car by going to another VAG group brand (SEAT, Skoda, VW).

Caporegime
It's a lovely bit of kit. Mighty expensive though!
A lot of cash, yes, but comparable to other SUVs in its class I guess. A little more than the XC90, a little less than the X5, and a fair bit less than the Merc GLS.

The early 4Ms are starting to hit the £40k mark with around 20k miles on the clock, which is starting to get within the bounds of reasonableness for my pocket.

The problem with these is hardly any seem to have been spec'd with adaptive air suspension, which is a £2k 'essential' option. Bit galling considering air suspension was standard on the 4L.

Soldato
out of curiosity guys

S-Line is a trim level. So it will have different bumpers, headlining, little bits of trim. TFSI is the engine. It means it has a Turbocharged fuel stratified injection engine. Basically a turbo. The FSI does not have the turbo. You want the one with the turbo. Etc stands for et cetera, is a Latin expression that means "and other things", or "and so forth".

Audi A3 2.0 TFSI should be doable within budget. Well, almost. There is 1 on AT at the moment, has 80,000 miles : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...uel-type=Petrol&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0

If you can negotiate the £500 off, you could maybe go for the 1 B8 A4 on AT with 90k on it: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...uel-type=Petrol&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0

A few more examples if you look at the Seat Leon though, you can get newer and lower miles, like this : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ize=2.0&postcode=s802ss&year-from=2008&page=1

Or Skoda Octavia VRS: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...uel-type=Petrol&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0

Or if you go VW, you can have Scirocco, Passat or mk5 Golf:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge=80000&year-from=2008&sort=year-desc&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ising-location=at_cars&make=VOLKSWAGEN&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...-from=2008&radius=1500&postcode=s802ss&page=3

The SEAT looks like the best for your budget out of them IMO.

Soldato
Sat in the latest Q7 today. Wow. What a sense of space and luxury, and probably the perfect family car.

I want one really quite badly now.

It had virtual cockpit and a panoramic sunroof as the options I could see clearly. Lovely car.

Fugly as sin though. Old one looked much better.

If I were in the market for such a car I'd take an XC90 any day of the week.

Soldato
2008 minimum

Neither of these cars are 2008 models. But it doesn't really matter as they are both the same as equivalent 2008 models anyway.

The 3.2 Quattro is basically the same engine and 4wd as the Golf mk5 R32. So it'll sound nice (could always be better with an exhaust mind) and go well. The 4wd is nice too. Also has the bigger brakes. The downside is that they aren't overly quick, and are expensive to tune, if that's something you would consider. And they aren't particularly good on fuel either.

The 2.0 TFSI will be slower, although not by much. A cheeky remap and it'll be faster than the R32, although wont have the traction because no 4wd. But these engines are easy to tune, and a few grand could see it hit 350+ BHP quite easily. I'd be trying to find a Quattro. But realistically, if tuning was something you would consider, it might be worth upping the budget a bit for an S3.

If tuning isn't something you would consider, get the 3.2 and live with the fuel economy. The sound is great after a stainless exhaust though, so I would do that even if you do nothing else. The whole point of these is the sound, and Audi do a good job of hiding it with the standard exhaust. But I'd also look for an Auto (DSG).

That being said, I'd be tempted to up the budget a little and get one of these : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...s=1500&fuel-type=Petrol&price-to=12000&page=1

I loved mine. And they are not slow, and only marginally worse on fuel than the 6 cylinder. And they sound MUCH better.

Caporegime
With the car averaging over 16,000 miles a year I'd not have thought it would be DPF related (though I guess it could be if the first 3 years of the car's life it did 60,000 miles and so far this year it's done relatively little). Saying 45m to 1hr each way could still be relatively little mileage if it's stop/start traffic or worse, traffic jams.

Could be one of a plethora of sensors on the emissions/exhaust components, it'd be far easier to get it hooked up to VCDS and read the code, rather that just guess at the problem.

Soldato
With the car averaging over 16,000 miles a year I'd not have thought it would be DPF related (though I guess it could be if the first 3 years of the car's life it did 60,000 miles and so far this year it's done relatively little). Saying 45m to 1hr each way could still be relatively little mileage if it's stop/start traffic or worse, traffic jams.

Could be one of a plethora of sensors on the emissions/exhaust components, it'd be far easier to get it hooked up to VCDS and read the code, rather that just guess at the problem.

Could be symptoms of carbon buildup starting to cause issues.

Underboss
Neither of these cars are 2008 models. But it doesn't really matter as they are both the same as equivalent 2008 models anyway.

The 3.2 Quattro is basically the same engine and 4wd as the Golf mk5 R32. So it'll sound nice (could always be better with an exhaust mind) and go well. The 4wd is nice too. Also has the bigger brakes. The downside is that they aren't overly quick, and are expensive to tune, if that's something you would consider. And they aren't particularly good on fuel either.

The 2.0 TFSI will be slower, although not by much. A cheeky remap and it'll be faster than the R32, although wont have the traction because no 4wd. But these engines are easy to tune, and a few grand could see it hit 350+ BHP quite easily. I'd be trying to find a Quattro. But realistically, if tuning was something you would consider, it might be worth upping the budget a bit for an S3.

If tuning isn't something you would consider, get the 3.2 and live with the fuel economy. The sound is great after a stainless exhaust though, so I would do that even if you do nothing else. The whole point of these is the sound, and Audi do a good job of hiding it with the standard exhaust. But I'd also look for an Auto (DSG).

That being said, I'd be tempted to up the budget a little and get one of these : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...s=1500&fuel-type=Petrol&price-to=12000&page=1

I loved mine. And they are not slow, and only marginally worse on fuel than the 6 cylinder. And they sound MUCH better.

4.2 !!
tax is only £305 a year? thats not bad
not sure i could handle the MPG that low though lol
on my 6 mile commute at 6am im getting 31 currently from my standard 1.8 Focus mk 2.5 (because of the distance)would it make much difference really?

Man of Honour
I seem to be getting a lot of invites to Audi RS days and today I did another at Thruxton. Like the previous event at Oulton it was another well run event. Sadly we did not get full track laps due to the nature of Thruxton and Audi needing to use 2 parts for different driving but we did get access to a skid pan, which we didn't at Oulton. It was dry too and we were able to push quite well. The way these events work is you buddy up with another guest and then go out in various cars, which today were:

- R8 V10 Plus
- TT RS
- RS7
- RS3
- RS6

Nice to have a go in the new TT RS which was OK and felt better than the previous ones I have driven and like most of the 5 cylinder cars it sounds great. RS7 impressed again, effortless mile muncher and with 605bhp it goes well. It also reconfirmed to me that the R8 dynamic steering is pants, definitely something to delete!

My photos could probably win a Sony so lap them up before I get signed up for the press.

35029272291_3b4692df7e_o.jpg

35119903926_6534b5cc20_o.jpg

35119900346_25723b4367_o.jpg

Ask any questions if that's you thing rather than me writing chapter and verse.

Caporegime
Fugly as sin though. Old one looked much better.

If I were in the market for such a car I'd take an XC90 any day of the week.

Interior is better than the XC90 and much better than the old one. That's the part I care most about since I'd be looking at it the whole time.

Still think I'd rather a full size Range Rover!

Well yes, and I'd rather a Bentley Bentayga, but the Range Rovers are more expensive like for like.

Back
Top Bottom