Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Feel your pain. I have a July 17 Misano A6 which has picked up a couple of chips. Only noticed recently and the worst is on the bonnet like yours. I ordered a repair kit and have touched up which hides it from a distance but it's still obvious up close. I need to take some time to give it a proper go soon.

I asked at a bodyshop and he said all they can do is respray the bonnet.

Really, in the last street I lived at there was a guy with a Misano red TT. He used to spend a full weekend cleaning the thing. Full on OCD style :)

When he picked it up, it must have had a few paint issues as he got a guy round who was touching up parts of it on his drive. So I assumed it wouldnt be a problem.

Soldato
Soldato
I'm surprised they haven't started offering updates for a nominal fee or free... VW with new discover nav/pro units have lifetime free map updates

Soldato
don't get me started on satnav maps. i have [i think, there's so much confusion and arguing] the 2nd gen MMI, that has the DVD-based maps. it's 6 year old now, and i've been quoted silly money from Audi for a new one, including an hour's labour. i mailed them back saying WTF, it's a disc, how's that warrant an hour's labour? they mailed back saying sorry,should only be half an hour, and no further info. after a lot of other searching, the only thing i can find is that apparently as you say teh maps are locked to the car/unit and it takes about 30 mins or whatever to register them.
given i can get a tomtom for half the price w/ free lifetime maps, i'm loathed to spend the money, but i'm also loathed to have another satnav unit above my satnav unit and have cables dangling down to the fag lighter.
Mine has five free map updates and that's it. No dvd involved just download the full package to an sd card and update. Or I can update my area map online through the mmi as I have the high technology pack. Still is a fact that Audi appear to be behind the times however there are reports that they could be going over to a full android based system. https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2...r-audi-volvo-adopt-standalone-android-auto-os still no sign yet though...

Soldato
Soldato
Mine has five free map updates and that's it. No dvd involved just download the full package to an sd card and update. Or I can update my area map online through the mmi as I have the high technology pack. Still is a fact that Audi appear to be behind the times however there are reports that they could be going over to a full android based system...
At least they offer android auto coughbmwcough

Soldato
My neighbour has a 4 year old A3 , and has lost one of the key, does anyone have a recommendation for a key cut/re-code service in Cambridge area ?
how much should he expect to pay ?

[ I assume they work on the same principal as BMW say where the immobiliser is pre-coded to accept a 6 keys or so, and usually if you buy from the manufacturer, after providing the appropriate ownership documentation they will look up your cars record for the a new key .....
so I don't yet understand how third parties are able to provide any keys ? ]

Nem

Nem

Associate
So, try and keep this brief as I can...

2015 A3 Saloon 1.4 tfsi s-tronic car. Had two issues and it went into Audi Nottingham in September 2017, groaning front drivers suspension and a loose rattle underneath somewhere. They had the car 2 weeks and fixed the groan with some grease - a known issue, and for the rattle they said it was in the gearbox. Gearbox was removed and a piece of sound deadening and a 'shim' was apparently missing from factory and these were ordered and fitted.

Pretty much straight away the rattle was still there, if not straight away, but there was then a new problem with a squeal on mid power upshifts. The suspension groan was resolved however.

Went back in in November for the rattle and also the gear change squeal, was with them 7 weeks in the end. New clutch pack to fix the squeal and now the rattle was fixed by removing and re-greasing the front wishbones.

Rattle still there straight away again and now we had a rumbling / vibration on pretty much all mid power acceleration. Couldn't face it going back in so tried to forget about it, so 3 months later booked it back in. They couldn't hear the noise on acceleration and gave us the car back after 1 day.

New noise then developed with the drivers front suspension. Acceleration noise still there and the initial rattle was still present. Complained to the business manager of the dealership. Was booked in for a extended teat drive with one of the Master Techs - this went well and he heard all 3 of the problems and car was booked in for this Monday just gone.

After 2 days got a call saying great news we've sorted the problems and it's ready to collect - oh, well apart from the noise on acceleration as we can't recreate it, and also the rattle underneath is a normal noise for that model. The front end groaning is fixed with a new top mount bush. Told them to keep trying and I'm basically not collecting the car until it's fixed.

Again 2 days later the same phone call, all fixed apart from that noise and the rattle. Told them to speak to the business manager and ask him if it's acceptable I'm being told to collect the car not fixed.

Just been called back and they still can't recreate the fault, after the master tech had heard it less than two weeks ago and was demonstrated numerous times during the hour long test drive.

Anyone got any more advice on dealing with this? I did say to the girl on the phone that if I'd spent £80k on an RS6 would she be telling me it's got a 'standard' rattle on that model? Am I wrong in expecting an Audi not not have a built in rattle? For info, the car wasn't bought from there, was an independent garage, but this is all under standard Audi warranty. Still the most annoying this is the noise on acceleration is only there after they worked on the car so their fault.

Loosing the will with it basically.

Thanks

Nem

Nem

Associate
Finally went back in yesterday to yet again demonstrate the noise, wen out with two master techs in the car and the damn thing wouldn't make any noise at all after 30 mins driving and me trying to get it to do it. they basically forced me to take the car away and book it back in 'when it gets worse' and we can hear it more apparently.

Car was fine all the way home from the dealership, even had me thinking it was somehow resolved, then 20 minute drive in the evening and it's making the same noise as usual.

I did get a bit more info on the rattle under the car however, it's a TPI for this exact model and they fitted a plastic shielding around the gearbox casing to reduce the noise but not eradicate it, the resulting noise is deemed acceptable - this is what was fitted back in September 2017.

I give up.

Soldato
is it anything to do w/ maybe the driving style? ie, comes on after more motorway type stuff than pottering around 20/30 zones and the like?

i know the frustration, my previous car was a Chevy Lacetti, had her a few weeks and the engine light came one. took her in, light went off on the way in. rinse repeat several times, then they said it was a known issue w/ the valve flaps and they changed them and sorted it. really annoying they knew the issue and put it off though, was a right mess about getting time off work etc.

Soldato
Am I wrong in expecting an Audi not not have a built in rattle? For info, the car wasn't bought from there, was an independent garage, but this is all under standard Audi warranty. Still the most annoying this is the noise on acceleration is only there after they worked on the car so their fault.

Loosing the will with it basically.

Thanks
Can't help with the rattle but all I can say is that mine never rattled at all and those engines never had the turbo wastegate rattle that the 122ps, the 1.8 and the S3 suffered from.

Back
Top Bottom