Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Guys have a new A5 sport back with optional 19" 8.5 inch wide wheels that have 255/35r19 wide tires all round. I have to put winter tires on and already have a spare set of 235/35R19's.

My question is will that 20mm difference really matter or will they just look abit stretched?

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys have a new A5 sport back with optional 19" 8.5 inch wide wheels that have 255/35r19 wide tires all round. I have to put winter tires on and already have a spare set of 235/35R19's.

My question is will that 20mm difference really matter or will they just look abit stretched?

Your speedo will under-read by about 2mph. So 58mph reality vs 60mph indicated. Hardly the end of the world.

Soldato
There are huge issues getting cars through the new WLTP testing regime. While you would assume the 55 TFSi would fly through those emissions tests, there are just not enough test rigs available and the German authorities in particular are being incredibly tight about making sure every car meets the standards because they were either hoodwinked turned a blind eye in the past and either way they want the world to see that Germany is setting the right standards for automotive testing. If you want one, the best thing to do is to phone your dealer contact every other week and remind them that you want one. Of course, the downside to that is that you’ll struggle to get the best price just after launch and you don’t know what issues there will be with that engine. Personally, I would wait until it’s been out at least 12 months and then pick one up when sales are generally dead - July, August or December. As you can currently get £12,000 off a 40TDi, I reckon you’ll get a decent bargain on a petrol one. The much heralded ‘death of diesel’ simply isn’t happening, not least because there are zero tax incentives for company car drivers to switch from diesel to petrol. They’re even taking away the incentives that were in place for hybrids.

Man of Honour
I've got to disagree on the death of diesel. Most of my friends simply won't buy a diesel now because of uncertainty. My Golf recently experienced a catastrophic engine failure so I'm looking for a new car and all the good deals are for diesels (not talking about Audi here). If diesels were selling well then there wouldn't be a need for incentives.

Unless I was driving 20k miles a year I simply wouldn't consider a diesel because I've no idea how good or bad the depreciation would be on one.

Soldato
Are the good deals on unsold new diesels cars that need to be sold yesterday because of the WLTP coming into effect?

While it's not definitive evidence of anything, a quick check on Drive the Deal shows the A7 S-Line Comfort & Sound 50TDi listed at £60050 before discount and £48991.25 after discount (18.4% off) and the A7 S-Line Comfort & Sound 55TFSi listed at £59950 list price before discount and £48908.75 after discount (also 18.4% off), so no difference in the deasl available and I stand by my original statement that until the government make diesels less attractive than pertols for company car drivers, the big fleets will continue to be diesel only.

And if you look at what is being released at the 'exec' end of the market, it's still heavily biased towards diesels. The A6 is available as 2.0 and 3.0 diesels with just the one petrol option coming up - the 3.0TFSi. The C7 A6 had the 2.0TFSi for the last few months of production and according to my dealer, they sold f-all and had to register them all as demonstrators or loan cars. The new Touareg was launched as diesel-only. The X7 BMW does have a petrol in the range, but it's not expected to be a big seller. Likewise Porsche sell lots more diesels than petrol Panamera's, Cayennes and Macans. I could go on, but I'm just not seeing manufacturers pulling out of diesels in the way you might expect given all the scare stories in the press recently.

Soldato
I assume you mean in the UK rather than any reflection of the global numbers?

Yes, originally. It works both ways though. Lots of European markets have tax regimes that have traditionally favoured diesel so if you withdraw all your diesels it’s going to make some of your buyers go elsewhere. Given that the big diesel sellers (Cayenne, Panamera, Macan) are all shared VAG platform vehicles some of those Porsche sales will go to elsewhere.

If you’re buying a Cayenne/Panamera/Macan as a company car in the UK though, and a lot of them are, you just won’t be able to if your company car list is diesel only.

Soldato
Did they?

On the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera, once diesel was available, the sold more diesels than petrols. Only the Macan was launched with a diesel option and on that one it’s something like 10,000 diesels sold in the UK vs. 8000 petrols. So maybe not many more, but more. In single model sales, the diesel is always the single biggest seller across Cayenne, Oanamera and Macan. In the UK it’s the influence of the company car market.

As I say, it will be interesting to see what impact that has on sales.

Soldato
Test drove the new A6 50TDI this morning - great to drive. Just speccing one up now and have added the following - any big 'must-have' options that I've missed?
  • Metallic paint
  • Tech Pack
  • Privacy Glass
  • Auto dim wing mirrors
  • HU Display

Back
Top Bottom