Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

Trulli is going to appeal against his penalty

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5120919,00.html

It seems Hamilton slowed down to let him past and Trulli had no option but to pass him, but the stewards didn't listen. Surely that would have been easy to see by asking McLaren for their telemetry data?

Edit, beaten to it.

if hamilton slowed then why didnt trulli slow so he didnt go past , thats a lame reason for going past, that means every one would be passing each other behind the pace car and say WELL he slowed down, trulli just wanted his 3rd place on track after running off and as he ran off he loses his place end of

Last edited:
if hamilton slowed then why didnt trulli slow so he didnt go past , thats a lame reason for going past, that means every one would be passing each other behind the pace car and say WELL he slowed down, trulli just wanted his 3rd place on track after running off and as he ran off he loses his place end of

The article says he slowed down and pulled over. If someone done that infront of you, you wouldn't be slowing down and parking behind them. He had a split second to decide and he thought it looked like Hamilton was pulling over. And if he did slow right down then it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Well, Legard is harldy worse than Murray and Allan tbh. He made a couple of mistakes but even Brundle manages that and he didn't get over excitied and they gave the full field action a talking about and didn't concentrate on one driver the whole afternoon.

They've only had a few hours in the shed together. In time they will get used to each other and hopefully interact a bit more. It's already much better than ITV by a long shot. We couldn't have expected anymore from this weekends coverage.

The pre-race build up was a bit naff, but now they've got the new season rubbish out the way, we can hopefully see some more insightful content from DC, Jordan and Brundle but the racing and forum section is all im interested in tbh.

The article says he slowed down and pulled over. If someone done that infront of you, you wouldn't be slowing down and parking behind them. He had a split second to decide and he thought it looked like Hamilton was pulling over. And if he did slow right down then it doesn't seem unreasonable.

He could always have let him repass if that really was the case.. It really doesnt wash with me. Trulli would have made the same statement at the initial appeal anyway.

Legard was fine I thought, much better than James Allen. Give him a few more races to get into things and I think he'll be fine. If people are picking on him for his mistakes then you only need to look at Murry Walker. Constantly making mistakes and being corrected by Brundle, although this what made him a good comentator I think.

need to give the whole team a few more races before writing them off really. EJ cant work on his faults, and EJ and DC can use there differences to be more interesting really. A healthy debate between the team can be good, just didnt work out they way this weekend.

Interesting bit in the Times today, they reckon Virgin are not a title sponsor anyway and Branson only paid 200k for the virgin names to be on the car.

Can't see a virgin branded car for all of 200k. Branson would have paid more than that for an advert in the paper.

Not such a big coup after all.

Was there any other sponsors in the pipe line? maybe branson got a cracking deal? I don't know much about advertising but BrawnGP were in a rush, so getting a quality sponsor was all they were looking for.

Last edited:
So Branson was talking it up as the big investor for 200k? Ha he really knows how to market himself. I heard there was a possibility of a fully fledged Virgin deal yet to be decided?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21314.html

That suggests as well Branson paid next to **** all. Top man, loads of publicity for no investment. A full page in the times would have cost him 200k :D

The cost of having the sponsor on the car could be down to any future deals between Virgin / Brawn. Now they have what looks like a solid drive you will see sponsors flooding in.

I hope so, but so far there have been scaling back of sponsors. It will be interesting to see who comes in when loads of corps monies are down.

Pepsi or coke would be nice but they spend too much elsewhere.

Branson is an influential man. His money will probably be a performance based investment and becasue he is sponsoring Ross Brawn, high up in the FOTA, then Branson has a foot in the door with regards to his eco stance.

That alleged 200k is probably an initial boost for one race weekend. It looks like the deal was a last minuite thing and they probably wanted to get something on paper to get the name on the car for the first race.

Judging by the drivers new helmet designs matching the cars, I reckon the plan is to let people come in one-by-one over the year and fight over white space then if the teams around next year, they can work out specific and title sponsons and logo placement once they've all agreed on something. I imagine it's a very difficult thing to manage for a team that's been around a few weeks so having Virgin behind them at this stage is a very positive message for other sponsors to come in.

Branson isn't going to empty his wallet on an unproven team, he'll need some convincing the same as the next man. This weekend he got a good deal on some ad space, next week there might be 10 more sharing the same spot and he'll have tp up his offer etc. He's not loaded for nothing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom