Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

jesus christ atleast post at what time in the video it occurs its a 6minute video ffs guess you mean at 5mins? wasted 5 minutes of my life to find that :P

why did they go off the track so much? especially raikonen in the last minute

Its Spa, appcreciate the race track. Its a great watch throughout :p

Apart from the end of course ;)

why did they go off the track so much? especially raikonen in the last minute

it was raining and they were on dry tires

Apart from the end of course ;)

that was my favorite bit :p

on the commentators, the only way he annoys me is when he talks really rally fast and quiet trying to fit in what he has said before the team radio message starts, or he just ignores it and says it over the radio.

Here's a video of the Trulli/Hamilton thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg77Zs9t6P0

I think the penalty is very harsh, the FIA had no business getting involved in that. Mclaren thought it was enough to give the place back, although you can imagine why they are so cautious when it comes to things like this.

I think that Toyota probably got stung by McLaren's overcautiousness. But it's not their fault that the FIA went completely over the top with the penalty :(

Yeah Glock did something similar to Trulli, although nowhere near as far off the track so not really that comparable.
I think they are the same really, both were right off the track and kerbs, only that Glock did not get passed. Also note on the video other people passing Vettel on the straight!

At that point were they still racing to get behind the safety car/to the line? Is that the rule in F1, I'm not sure? In the touring cars they race back to the start finish line then group behind the safety car. Or had the safety car been out a lap and they should be in a driving sensibly.

Hamilton was definitely correct to pass Trulli and continue because Trulli went off track.

I want to see Trulli passing Hamilton and how much Hamilton slowed as it sounds like Trulli had no option but to go back past. Is there a penalty for deliberately slowing down a lot?

I think the penalty is very harsh on Trulli, it should have been a place swap if anything needed changing at all. Sadly penalties are governed by strict rules in F1!

Having listened and read both sides of the story, to me its fairly clear that Trulli should have held on to 3rd place and Mclaren fined for telling LH to slow down on the side of the road. Just like Vettel was told to continue with 3 wheels, RBR was fined, its not LH/Trullis fault if Mclaren have no idea about the rules or how to follow them!

At that point were they still racing to get behind the safety car/to the line? Is that the rule in F1, I'm not sure?

They won't have been racing to the finish line, there's no overtaking when there's yellow flags regardless of whether they're behind the safety car. As far as I know, anyway! McLaren will have all the data showing whether Hamilton slowed down to let Trulli pass. It'll be interesting to find out.

Having listened and read both sides of the story, to me its fairly clear that Trulli should have held on to 3rd place and Mclaren fined for telling LH to slow down on the side of the road. Just like Vettel was told to continue with 3 wheels, RBR was fined, its not LH/Trullis fault if Mclaren have no idea about the rules or how to follow them!

<conspiracy>

Maybe Bernie was worried about losing the Hamilton-effect? ;)

</conspiracy>

They won't have been racing to the finish line, there's no overtaking when there's yellow flags regardless of whether they're behind the safety car. As far as I know, anyway! McLaren will have all the data showing whether Hamilton slowed down to let Trulli pass. It'll be interesting to find out.

In that case whoever passed Vettel in his robin reliant should get a penalty.... I think it was Alonso hmm. Even though Vettel should not of carried on at that point he was and should not of been passed under safety car conditions.

I really want to see what/how much Hamilton slowed to wave through Trulli now. It is still a really harsh penalty for a simple misunderstanding.

I think Vettel should have been allowed to finish, since his car wasn't damaging the track. Then the stewards/whoever could decide afterwards whether to give him a 25second penalty?

OT, isn't there a rule that within the final five laps, a driver is given a 25 second penalty rather than a drive-through? Perhaps Toyato can still appeal on these grounds.

Apparently I'm wrong, since the penalty was issued whilst the cars were on track it's still considered a drive-through.

Last edited:
Vettel clearly had a problem though so that's why Alonso couldn't and shouldn't have been punished.

Yes - he was slow and Alonso went past.

Then Hamilton was slow (for no reason) and Trulli went past, Trulli got punished.

Perhaps this could be a new tactic if this situation with the situation happens again. For example if Hamilton and Massa are battling for the championship. Hamilton deliberately slows (again) and Massa goes past and gets a penalty potentially costing him points? Obviously this would never happen, but it could?

Last edited:

The problem is that the rules aren't clear in situations like this. Neither Trulli nor Mclaren should have been punished in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom