Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

Mclaren and Lewis lied to the stewards. Totally understandable penalty really. Mclaren need to stop leaving themselves open to receive such penalty's.

So, we need to stop Ref's in football from "meddling" too? Its the exact same thing.

Where is the lie? Point it out.. because everyone else is struggling to see it now..

The "lie" is McLaren not giving the FIA the full transcript. But that isnt a lie.. thats not providing something that is a) surely available and if not b) surely obtainable upon asking.

And as for football.. I'd like to see football match results be changed after the competition. Then we would see some real protests.

The bit that annoys me is that Mclaren went to Race control for clarification, multiple times, and got no answer.
They tried to do the rght thing and clarify, but ended up getting stitched up when no one replied.

Had they got clarification from them at that point, none of this would have happened.

Perhaps "Race control" need a penalty....

For anybody that is curious about the rather famous "Article 151(c)", this is what it says..

151. Breach of rules
Any of the following offences in addition to any offences specifically referred to previously, shall be deemed to be a breach of these rules :
a) All bribery or attempt, directly or indirectly, to bribe any person having official duties in relation to a competition or being employed in any manner in connection with a competition and the acceptance of, or offer to accept, any bribe by such an official or employee.
b) Any action having as its object the entry or participation in a competition of an automobile known to be ineligible therefor.
c) Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.

Part C is the one that the FIA seem to like throwing at people, including it seems, to the director of Michelin after the problems at indianapolis a few years ago.

The Mclaren transcript has appeared:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74159

Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

LH: OK.

LH: He's slowed right down in front of me.

Team: OK, Lewis. Stay ahead for the time being. Stay ahead. We will get back to you. We are talking to Charlie.

LH: I let him past already.

Team: OK, Lewis. That's fine. That's fine. Hold position. Hold position.

LH: Tell Charlie I already overtook him. I just let him past.

Last edited:

ok, so that now shows that Mclaren told Hamilton to let Trulli past, which he did.

"Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

LH: OK.

LH: He's slowed right down in front of me.

Team: OK, Lewis. Stay ahead for the time being. Stay ahead. We will get back to you. We are talking to Charlie.

LH: I let him past already."

all we need is some clarification as to what exactly was said in the meeting to see if there was an attempt to mislead the stewards.

Hmm.. that isn't as clear cut as I'd like..

"I let him pass" could just mean trulli overtook him, and LH has just not responded and accepted that as a pass back..

The telemetry data would show us if he did something deliberate or not..
It appears to be quite clear cut. "I let him past" says to me the Trulli did not overtake Hamilton without Hamilton letting him.
It appears that the FIA stewards have made a complete arse of this situation and are now trying to pin the blame on anyone but themselves. If McClaren or Hamilton told lies or deliberately mislead the enquiry then they deserve a punishment. I cannot see what the would have to gain by cheating to gain 1 championship pint though.

ok, so that now shows that Mclaren told Hamilton to let Trulli past, which he did.

all we need is some clarification as to what exactly was said in the meeting to see if there was an attempt to mislead the stewards.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74158

I think that's clear cut..

However, deliberately letting him past, or Trulli just blasting by and LH counting that as letting his past would be the icing on the cake from my perspective..

Things just don't add up..

Either Maclaren have been so amazingly stupid and lied knowing they would always be found out, or someone has paraphrased the stewards interviews to the point we are not fully aware of the facts.. why would they need to have seen TV interviews etc? It all stills smells wrong at the moment..

Last edited:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74158

I think that's clear cut..

However, deliberately letting him past, or Trulli just blasting by and LH counting that as letting his past would be the icing on the cake from my perspective..

"During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake.

Both the driver and the Team Manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The Race Director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so.

The new elements presented to the Stewards several days after the 2009 Australian Grand Prix which led to the reconvened Stewards Meeting clearly show that:

a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the Stewards Meeting he gave an interview to the Media where he clearly stated that the Team had told him to let Trulli pass.

b. Furthermore, the radio exchanges between the driver and the Team contain two explicit orders from the Team to let the Toyota pass."

I think it's clear cut as well and sends out a great message about lieing to the stewards. For once I applaud one of their decisions.

Does increasingly sound like McLaren were trying their darndest to play it by the book but then the thought of getting 3rd place at the stewards meeting was just too much of a temptation...

I think LH and the "team manager" guy must have been told to keep schtum at the stewards hearing by his boss(es). Because there's no way he would be that dumb in the press interviews before it...

Still, I don't think it is reasonable for the FIA to assume that McLaren would be upfront with all details. It's not their responsability is it? McLaren clearly just went to that stewards meeting with a "answer only when spoken to" stance.

Okay....sorta swaying more to it being the right call now. Still, I can't help but feel sorry for Hamilton. He drove a blinding race.

Totally agree, but this is an event which will mean they will never be able to take his word and that of his teams during an investigation. Another rookie mclaren piece of advice.

If they had just shown the tape in the first place to show that they really didn't have a clue what they should have done and they were seeking advice then the 3rd and 4th places would just have been swapped.

By lieing they have done themselves out of some decent points.

Edit that 3rd place trophy has done more milage than the cars this week ;)

I now think that it was the right decision by the looks of it. I still can't get my head around why Lewis and McLaren would lie in the stewards meeting :confused:.

Back
Top Bottom