Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

Whether they lied or not, I don't think it should affect the grid position in the race. The whole incident was outside the race so why the hell should Hamilton pay for it in the race.
Yes fine them a great big some of money by all means for lying (if that is the case) but the DQ him is ridiculous.

The way it has ended up looking is that Hamilton has been punished for being overtaken, whilst Trulli has been rewarded for overtaking under a Safety Car!

There is no need for a racing punishment for an incident that wasn't in the race.

Martin Brundle's take:

BBC commentator and former F1 driver Martin Brundle said: "This does not look good for Hamilton or McLaren.

"Hamilton passed Trulli as he was off the road. Hamilton clearly wondered then, to give him the benefit of the doubt, if he had passed under the safety car conditions and was trying to let Trulli back through.

"There was a point when he was doing just 15mph in his McLaren and Trulli had no option but to repass him.

"I think Lewis then saw half a chance of a third place instead of a fourth, went up to the stewards and didn't give them the full story.

"Now they've matched up his comments (to them) to radio content between him and the team, and other information they've gathered, and they've decided that effectively he was telling fibs.

"I think it's a big issue and it's not going to go away. If they were asked a direct question they should have given the right answer, and they clearly didn't."

Whether they lied or not, I don't think it should affect the grid position in the race. The whole incident was outside the race so why the hell should Hamilton pay for it in the race.
Yes fine them a great big some of money by all means for lying (if that is the case) but the DQ him is ridiculous.

The way it has ended up looking is that Hamilton has been punished for being overtaken, whilst Trulli has been rewarded for overtaking under a Safety Car!

There is no need for a racing punishment for an incident that wasn't in the race.

What? Of course they have to punish him with grid slots. He lied, the team lied fully prepared to lie to take points off another driver who was honest.

What he did affected the results on the track so they have to take them away. A fine? How would that discourage lieing in the future.

We try to discourage liars in sport don't we?

Why? The FIA probably had hold of it while they made their decision. Now the decision has been made, the footage is available to all and sundry.

Yeah, but all the while the BBC could have exposed this in the mean time rather than leave the public to go mental on forums all day instead of doing their jobs :p

I suppose they're under an NDA until the FIA say otherwise but It would seem i was withheld to protect Hamilton? Conspiracy? Lunacy?

I'm just playing advocate. No doubt Hamilton deserved 4th, maybe 3rd. Just a shame the team and driver are very much boy than man :(

I have never seen anyone on these boards who didn't respect Brundle and think he talked sense.

I think he has it on the money, and if he said Hamilton was doing just 15mph, then it is more the likely he was.
Neither have I. I very much respect his opinion on matters. With the BBC now having DC onboard as well anything like this is going to be well interpreted by MB and DC. :)

Why? The FIA probably had hold of it while they made their decision. Now the decision has been made, the footage is available to all and sundry.
The BBC would have had some footage surely? Perhaps the Australian host broadcaster was told not to release it by the FIA?

I can fully understand why FIA have DQ him, however this is stupid. the FIA should make sure of the facts before they announce punishments. They could easily get hold of all team speak between the car and pit wall.
McLaren made a huge mistake but I think the FIA made an even bigger one.

What he did affected the results on the track so they have to take them away. A fine? How would that discourage lieing in the future.

If he hadn't let Trulli back past (which would have been correct - as Trulli had gone off of the track) the whole thing wouldn't have happened and he would have been allowed to keep 3rd position (presuming the FIA didn't decide to **** about with the results like normal)

I'm not suggesting he should get away with lying. I'm saying that it should be involved with the race positions, because if he had carried on going he would have got the bloody position he deserved :rolleyes:

(nothing personal at you danny - just my opinion)

I think they are forced to make decisions on poor evidence without much time. They should be given 24 hours after the race finish to make a final conclusion before they go to press on punishments. Otherwise they forget about consistency and they are not giving a great image out to the fans.

Back
Top Bottom