Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

The bit that annoys me is that Mclaren went to Race control for clarification, multiple times, and got no answer.
They tried to do the rght thing and clarify, but ended up getting stitched up when no one replied.

Had they got clarification from them at that point, none of this would have happened.

Perhaps "Race control" need a penalty....

I think they are forced to make decisions on poor evidence without much time. They should be given 24 hours after the race finish to make a final conclusion before they go to press on punishments. Otherwise they forget about consistency and they are not giving a great image out to the fans.

I half agree.

I personally think (taking Australia as an example) that the results for that race should be 100% decided within an hour after the race, ideally AT THE END of the race.
Any further issues should be taken into account at the following race. With this we wouldn't have a week of disputes after each and every race in the calendar.

If he hadn't let Trulli back past (which would have been correct - as Trulli had gone off of the track) the whole thing wouldn't have happened and he would have been allowed to keep 3rd position (presuming the FIA didn't decide to **** about with the results like normal)

I'm not suggesting he should get away with lying. I'm saying that it should be involved with the race positions, because if he had carried on going he would have got the bloody position he deserved :rolleyes:

(nothing personal at you danny - just my opinion)

So you are saying McLaren are to blam for letting Trulli back? So it is not the FIA's fault but McLaren's?

If so i 100% agree with you.

I half agree.

I personally think (taking Australia as an example) that the results for that race should be 100% decided within an hour after the race, ideally AT THE END of the race.
Any further issues should be taken into account at the following race. With this we wouldn't have a week of disputes after each and every race in the calendar.

Put an hour time limit on it?
So a team within an hour need to put together an appeal, then the Stewards need to speak to the parties involved and give out an answer?
So say a driver decided 'Ohh i need to go for a dump just now, then it'll take me 10 minutes to walk to see the Stewards, by which time, time is up and people moan
'How can Ferrari get away with doing that on the last lap? How come nothing is said when Massa bent to tie his shoe to kill time before going to see the stewards' yada yada yada.

And what engine is in the back of the Torro Rosso?

LOL FERRARI INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE LOL

:D

In all seriousness there's a reason Brundle has been rehired by the bbc and why DC is now the other "main" pundit (Eddie is sort of second fiddle and he knows it). They both are prety much always right on how the sport works and in this case Brundle is right to point out McLaren have been penalised for with holding all of the truth, which the FIA are right to do.

Hopefully this will be the end of this "consipracy" and mallaysia will be another excelent race, well brawngp win :D (prefferably rubens)

Put an hour time limit on it?
So a team within an hour need to put together an appeal, then the Stewards need to speak to the parties involved and give out an answer?
So say a driver decided 'Ohh i need to go for a dump just now, then it'll take me 10 minutes to walk to see the Stewards, by which time, time is up and people moan
'How can Ferrari get away with doing that on the last lap? How come nothing is said when Massa bent to tie his shoe to kill time before going to see the stewards' yada yada yada.

I take it from that waffle you rather the race results change 4-5 times in the week following the race?

Christ and to think they want to change the races so a single event is more exciting for a person that doesn't watch every race. You need to currently sit and read the web daily to keep track of what is happening at the moment!

They both are prety much always right on how the sport works and in this case Brundle is right to point out McLaren have been penalised for with holding all of the truth, which the FIA are right to do.

Right, where is there Brundle's opinion on the incident? Can't find it anywhere on beeb site :(

There should be a 6hour window. Stewards should have instant access to all video and communication straight after the race by all teams. Black box style recordings of all comms. Once a decision has been made those results should stand regardless and only fines and maybe starting grid penalties apply.
It is absolutely retarded and bad for the sport to keep changing teh results every other day.

I'm still a bit shocked by this... shocked that McLaren could be so stupid as to try to gain a place by lying. In fact, if they'd simply told the truth they probably would have been given the place anyway as they didn't need to let Trulli back through but did so while they could get an answer from race control!

Now, this is where I think the situation was badly handled. If race control had not blanked McLaren and given them a quick judgment, all of this could have been avoided. My feeling is that they didn't actually know whether Hamilton should let Trulli back through, so ignored the question.

There's no suggestion that the FIA are trying to assist any other team in this, just that the whole thing has been badly handled by all parties (McLaren, the stewards and the FIA).

There should be a 6hour window. Stewards should have instant access to all video and communication straight after the race by all teams. Black box style recordings of all comms. Once a decision has been made those results should stand regardless and only fines and maybe starting grid penalties apply.
It is absolutely retarded and bad for the sport to keep changing teh results every other day.

Why can the stewards not rely on the teams not lying to them...
It is still setup as a "gentlemens" sport.

This i half agree with, it should stand, unless it can be proven that a team has wilfully mislead the investigation.

But the crunch would come if there are 3 on track incidents and 6 teams making a complaint, and only 6 hours to investigate 6 teams complaints.
I mean melbourne had 2 incidents in the last 2 laps to look at, so 3 hours to investigate, but then what would happen regarding a right of appeal?

Why can the stewards not rely on the teams not lying to them...
It is still setup as a "gentlemens" sport.

Because you end up with what happened at this race. i'm still not convinced McLaren lied. Just skirted or weren't directly asked. The sport is already is disrepute from the last few years. Things like this only fuel it. It should not be allowed to happen. The rules need to be changed to stop this ending up in the appeals courts again.

Who started the Trulli/Hamilton issue after the race?
Did Mclaren go and complain in order to get 3rd (when to be honest they should have stayed in front of Trulli anyway as he had gone of the track - too late now though)
Or was it the FIA?

Both this issue, and the situation between Vettel and Kubica had absolutely no need to go to the stewards in my opinion.

Because you end up with what happened at this race. i'm still not convinced McLaren lied. Just skirted or weren't directly asked. The sport is already is disrepute from the last few years. Things like this only fuel it. It should not be allowed to happen. The rules need to be changed to stop this ending up in the appeals courts again.

During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake.

Both the driver and the Team Manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The Race Director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74158
They were asked, and said no.

Who started the Trulli/Hamilton issue after the race?
Did Mclaren go and complain in order to get 3rd (when to be honest they should have stayed in front of Trulli anyway as he had gone of the track - too late now though)
Or was it the FIA?
I think the stewards were already investigating it, and called Hamilton/Trulli to give their side of the story.

But the crunch would come if there are 3 on track incidents and 6 teams making a complaint, and only 6 hours to investigate 6 teams complaints.
I mean melbourne had 2 incidents in the last 2 laps to look at, so 3 hours to investigate, but then what would happen regarding a right of appeal?

Could have multiple steward teams. Or 6hours per investigation. Right of appeal needs to be removed. The technology is there to record and gather evidence for the steward. It's an old rule which should be removed. Like football you might get some bad descions but at least everyone understands that's just the way it is and you carry on. Not waste money dragging it through the courts.

Well, you qouted the link ... but if you want an fia.com link ..
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2009/Pages/f1_stewards_decision.aspx

During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake. Both the driver and the Team Manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The Race Director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so.

transcript said:
Team: Lewis, you need to allow the Toyota through. Allow the Toyota through now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom