Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

What's with BMW proclaiming they could have won? Chaos theory not mean anything in germany? :p IF IF IF... If Button's crew hadn't done a very very slow last pitstop Kubica nor Vettel would have been anywhere near as close.

Not like Piquet to bin it :p Be surprised if he makes it to the end of the season without getting the chop tbh, doubt he would have even got a second season if his surname wasnt Piquet.

One fluke podium in Germany is about all he's done in F1 bar crash!!

Nice comment from Martin re packing swords away back at Honda...looks like all they needed to make their car go quicker was somebody else's engine...and Ross Brawn finding the flexibility in the new rules. If they continue to show such good form how long before they become the Merc works team?

See folks? That's how good F1 can be. Made last year look particularly poor! Hopefully all the races this year continue the standard.

Some thoughts:

1) Great drive from Jenson. Barely put a wheel wrong - just the slightly botched pitstop and the lock-up under the safety car really to count against him. I think even if Kubica and Vettel hadn't stacked it, Kubica wouldn't have gotten by him.
2) Barrichello was just one step away from perfection. If only he'd hit the safety car as well.....:D
3) Pretty damned good drive from Hamilton. The car isn't great, but he kept his head when all around him were losing theirs. Will be interesting to see if they promote him past Trulli, who also drove very well to recover from the DQ in qualifying.
4) Ferrari....less said the better, really. Massa might have been up there if the car had held together, but he didn't exactly look lightning-quick. And Raikkonen stacked it again. They need to do better in Malaysia by far.
5) Coverage was brilliant. Particularly liked the fact that they have the extended post-race chatting on the red button, that's a nice touch. And best of all - NO ******* ADVERT BREAKS!!!!!

Here's to hoping that the FIA don't **** it all up on April 14th....

I agree. There was no stopping Button unless he made a big mistake.

Im sorry I disagree, the Ferraris were loosing 4s/lap at the end of their super soft stint and I think RK was loosing 2s/lap at the end of his 1st stint.

RK would have been v.close to JB by the end of the race and I think for sure Vettel and RK will be challenging in Malaysia :D

Im sorry I disagree, the Ferraris were loosing 4s/lap at the end of their super soft stint and I think RK was loosing 2s/lap at the end of his 1st stint.

RK would have been v.close to JB by the end of the race and I think for sure Vettel and RK will be challenging in Malaysia :D

Button was clearly coasting though, he knew there wasn't long left, and he didn't want to bin it.

There were what, 4 or 5 laps to go when they crashed? Button was not loosing that much time to Kubica at that point, and Kubica would have had to overtake 2 drivers to win it ... so I think Button would still have got 1st.

But there was only two laps left and the track temperature was a lot cooler. meaning the super softs wont be as badly affected. He would have been close. But i would have been shocked if he got into first.

To be fair the Honda engines over last few years have not been that bad

True enough, the engines were good it was the car that was the weakness.

I guess what they really needed was RB and a blank sheet of paper, the rule changes gifted RB that opportunity.

But there was only two laps left and the track temperature was a lot cooler. meaning the super softs wont be as badly affected. first.

Also JB's softs weren't as used as Vettel's - only approx 1/2 the laps (I think) so not going off as much, then conditions played to JB too.

Back
Top Bottom