Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

Button was clearly coasting though, he knew there wasn't long left, and he didn't want to bin it.

After loosing 5 seconds at the pitstop I doubt even JB was coasting. LH/KR/FM know what coasting is when they are leading a race by 15s+. As does Ross Brawn ;)

There were what, 4 or 5 laps to go when they crashed? Button was not loosing that much time to Kubica at that point, and Kubica would have had to overtake 2 drivers to win it ... so I think Button would still have got 1st.

RK was gaining at 0.8s /lap - was with Vettel who happened to be ~4s from JB, so yes he would have been with JB. I never said he would have been able to overtake him, although with such a speed differential in the braking zones Im sure he would!

But there was only two laps left and the track temperature was a lot cooler. meaning the super softs wont be as badly affected. He would have been close. But i would have been shocked if he got into first.

Yeah they won't have been affected as much but as Button himself said the super-softs need warm temp to generate grip, so they might not have grained as much but also not generated as much grip!

Either way all I was trying to say is that I don't think BGP are going to be running away with it like Ferrari in 2004, they will be challenged and that can only be a good thing! :)

Either way all I was trying to say is that I don't think BGP are going to be running away with it like Ferrari in 2004, they will be challenged and that can only be a good thing! :)

I don't think anyone is going to dominate this year, Brawn know they have a good car and were lucky in some ways and unlucky in others, Ferrari have shown early gremlins but have overcome them in the past and gone on to win, Mclaren have to sort out a "Brawn" type diffuser and fast to stay in the game.
Alonso is looking up for the fight and so with the uncertainty coming from the rule changes the field has closed up, we're in for a great season.

Great race, very enjoyable.

Really good to see Button back on form again, and Rubens had an excellent race, seems the rule changes have really turned things around. Be very interesting to see if BrawnGP can hold the form of this weekend together for the rest of the season.

Trulli showed some excellent form as well, did well to progress as far through the field as he did. Although 4th, it was clear Hamilton and McLaren aren't as quick as they were last season, but hat was expected.

Disappointed with Ferraris poor showing, Kimi binning it at the end and Massa's reliability issue, both seemed to be making good progress imo when they were running.

Has anyone figured out how Piquet managed to blag a drive this year? I don't think i've seen him drive a decent race yet!

4) Ferrari....less said the better, really. Massa might have been up there if the car had held together, but he didn't exactly look lightning-quick. And Raikkonen stacked it again. They need to do better in Malaysia by far.

What was Rob Smedly saying to Massa? "I know it's hard but you've got to push" or something along those lines. That's like mummy telling her 12 year old to do his maths homework. Doesn't invoke much confidence does it?

I didn't realise we had a week till Malasiya. Not much time to get much development to that race so will probably see a Brawn, RBR or BMW up top.

Great race, very enjoyable.

Has anyone figured out how Piquet managed to blag a drive this year? I don't think i've seen him drive a decent race yet!

Perhaps he had a 2 year deal and in the current climate there was no way they would buy him out of it, can't have any "performance" clauses in it unless it's to do with the amount of TV coverage he gets for the sponsors with all the off track excursions he has

its all been said a few times already but once more wont hurt :p

button did well but i expected him to win it, being so far ahead in quali and the speed he showed in testing he should have always won it.

hamilton did well from 18th to 4th (or maybe 3rd from above poster) in one of the slower cars on the grid.

shame vettel and kubica took each other out as i was looking forward to a batle for 1st place in the closing laps.

Also nice this year that they publish the starting weights of the cars before the race so we can see who is running low fuel and who isn't

1. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 664.5kg
2. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 666.5
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 657
4. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 650
5. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 657
6. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 654
7. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 655.5
8. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 662
9. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 691.5
10. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 680.7
11. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 690.6
12. Nelson Piquet, Renault, 694.1
13. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India 689
14. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 612.5
15. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 675.5
16. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 684.5
17. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso, 662.5
18. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 655
19. Timo Glock, Toyota, 670
20. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 660

Cracking start to the season. Overtaking in F1? Surely not :D

Great race for Button; could have lost the win with a sloppy pit entry but otherwise a great race from the front. Did he lead every lap in the race? I think so, and I can't remember when someone last did that.

Barrichello was lucky to end up in second after a shoddy start and a number of sloppy incidents. The one near the start was probably not his fault, but there was not excuse for thwacking into Kimi.

The Toyota's did well to work they way through to the front from the pits. How brutal was Glock!? Has anyone seen pictures of the Trulli-Hamilton swap around under the safety car? From the McLaren description it sounded pretty clear cut in Hamilton's favour. Bad news for Trulli if it is, I imagine he'll get a flat disqualification for it which is a shame after a great racing performance.

Ferrari - oh dear, a day to forget. Still if Kimi hadn't bizarrely swung it into the wall, he would have been in a podium position, I think, so more a bad race than a bad start to the season.

McLaren - great performance from Lewis in a weak car, seems class really will tell. And Kovi, well, he did what Kovi does best.

Great performance from Beumi in the Sebastian Toro Rosso, yielded a bit weakly to Glock but otherwise a great performance in his first race.

Back
Top Bottom