Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

It is strange to feel like you have to be forced to do something for someone that you don't believe in. I suppose the correct answer would have been not to mention the reason why and just say you are too busy.

or change careers if you are not very good at dealing with customers.

Not if they're doing it in an illegal manner or for illegal reasons then theyre just dirty common criminals.

That's one of the main points of discussion here. That refusing to serve someone something because of your beliefs shouldn't be illegal.

I wouldn't go into a Halal or Kosher meat store and demand pork. Equally if I went into a butcher not knowing it was Halal or Kosher I wouldn't kick up a stink if I asked for pork and got the old stink eye - infact I'd probably apologise and leave.

Now I don't imagine that there's anything in this bakers that says they will make cakes with homosexual slogans or remarks on, so they haven't refused to do something they say they will.

If you can't deal with the fact that other adults may not like your life choices then I'm sorry but I think you need to grow up a little. It's not as if they were chased out in to the street and beaten with sticks is it?

No, you simply quote them £2500 for the cake and let them decide if they want it or not.

A "go away" quotation is simply an overpriced quote in hope the customer will go elsewhere.

Sorry you misunderstand. I was actually agreeing with you. The correct business reply should have been a simple no. Or as you said, a go away quotation. But with many Christians in Northern Ireland they can't just say no. They have to go off in a full on rant as to why they are being offended, why their branch of Christianity is best, why you're a heathen etc etc.

Christianity in northern ireland is a thing and a half to behold. We kill each other to prove which branch is best. :(

zzz why not just find somewhere else to bake the cake. Would you really want this hanging over your wedding?

That completely misses the point.
It is like someone stabs you with a knife and steals your wallet and you claim the person can just get a new wallet and go to A&E to get stitched up. Why bother going after the criminal?

No, just like walking into a well locally known Christian owned bakery wouldn't put a gay slogan on their bespoke cake.
I know they also dont allow any political slogans etc from either side of the community here.

But they do make bespoke cakes. So asking them to make a bespoke isn't outside the norm.

My local curry house don't offer pork. So asking for tandoori pork chops would be no different to asking for a laptop.

Sorry you misunderstand. I was actually agreeing with you. The correct business reply should have been a simple no. Or as you said, a go away quotation. But with many Christians in Northern Ireland they can't just say no. They have to go off in a full on rant as to why they are being offended, why their branch of Christianity is best, why you're a heathen etc etc.

Christianity in northern ireland is a thing and a half to behold. We kill each other to prove which branch is best. :(

What? They did nothing of the sort, they where happy to make them a cake, then they came along with the slogan. They said now as it was not their belief?
It was these two men that made a big deal out of the whole situation, Ashers manager didn't even say a word till the hearing, what are you talking about!?

That completely misses the point.
It is like someone stabs you with a knife and steals your wallet and you claim the person can just get a new wallet and go to A&E to get stitched up. Why bother going after the criminal?

Its nothing like that, at all, or even remotely a anything like that.

But they do make bespoke cakes. So asking them to make a bespoke isn't outside the norm.

My local curry house don't offer pork. So asking for tandoori pork chops would be no different to asking for a laptop.

Making a gay marriage cake is out of the norm, if you knew the bakery, and every one around here does, they are well know, theirs little chance you would not know this walking in.

Pathetic that they had to see fit to take that company to court. What a sad world we live in. Why didnt they just find a baker who was willing to 'bend over backwards' for them!

Compensation?

I was under the impression that same sex marriage was illegal in NI so it seems a strange judgement.

Back
Top Bottom