Baldur's Gate 3

125 Hours finally completed it, what a game! I was going to do another playthrough but I think i will complete Divinity Orginal Sin first.
I was bit shocked when The Emperor joined the Master Brain after I freed Orpheus, I thought at worst he would just runway or fight me

Last edited:
I've got as far as act 3 but I just want to do everything.
I know I should just finish and go back and do a different run but I don't want to miss anything!

I keep trying to get into this game, the fantasy setting, the story and the way it’s presented all appeal to me, but the combat is so unforgiving. Even early on you get into scraps and by the time the fight is over I’ve gone through a mountain of healing and needed to return to camp, I’m sure I must being playing the fights wrong.

I keep trying to get into this game, the fantasy setting, the story and the way it’s presented all appeal to me, but the combat is so unforgiving. Even early on you get into scraps and by the time the fight is over I’ve gone through a mountain of healing and needed to return to camp, I’m sure I must being playing the fights wrong.
That's par for the course with Larian games. BG3 and the Div games can be quite challenging if your party is sub-optimal in composition, you don't know what you're doing or take a "bad" route that pits you against enemies a level higher.

You will be, and much of the fun of the game is figuring out builds and stratagies to tackle various encounters and enemies. This was the first game of this type for me and I did not get it on first attempt, but stuck with it, watched a few guides, and it just got better and better. I think one of my bigger issues early on was treating short and long rests like some kind of sacred resource only to be used in absolute emergencies.

As other have said, it is fairly tough and I've had to redo battles multiple times.
One thing that really helped me was to respec shadowheart to life domain, but it all depends on what characters you use etc. Swap people out as well, mages can do a tonne of damage from distance, use scrolls to teleport to safety etc. There's also a perk that helps mages stop causing friendly fire damage, again that helped massively as I could just rain down fire.
Keep persevering, it does click eventually and you'll start tanking through groups in no time.

Last edited:
Also remember - agressiveness is usually a better tactic. Damage is typically far higher than healing, so it's better to use your turns to take damage/control enemies than it is to heal your party. One mistake I made early on was spending too many rounds on healing potions/spells during fights to keep people topped up....it was easier to have everyone finish at near-death and then heal up afterwards than try doing to it during fighting.

Also yes, just keep heading back and resting....you should be doing this as regularly as possible anyway, as various parts of the story rely on resting! You'll miss out on stuff if you don't.

Try to finish off enemies rather than wearing them all down evenly, this means you'll face fewer attacks in later rounds. Combinations of things can work well against groups of enemies, for example using grease then setting it aflame, or using wall of fire behind a group and using eldritch blast (with the repelling blast invocation) to keep pushing enemies back into the fire. Use buffs like Hex or Hunter's mark, and make sure to be aware what types of damage have the most impact against a particular foe. If your cleric has spirit guardians, max this out as it's like a mobile bubble of protection.

As others have said short or long rest between fights to restore HP.

Loaded up BG3 after not playing for 2-3 weeks and see that patch 7 is now installed. However it's totally screwed up my game, there are warnings about 3rd party apps being installed, and when I hit continue I got some dialogue asking me to enter something but nothing to say what I need to enter. I assume this is all because of their new in-house Mod system.

I did manage to get in by randomly hitting things, but my UI is totally screwed up.. Is the only fix to remove ALL mods and start again? Is there a way I can roll back to the previous patch and not use patch 7?

Loaded up BG3 after not playing for 2-3 weeks and see that patch 7 is now installed. However it's totally screwed up my game, there are warnings about 3rd party apps being installed, and when I hit continue I got some dialogue asking me to enter something but nothing to say what I need to enter. I assume this is all because of their new in-house Mod system.

I did manage to get in by randomly hitting things, but my UI is totally screwed up.. Is the only fix to remove ALL mods and start again? Is there a way I can roll back to the previous patch and not use patch 7?
Should be able to roll back to a previous patch version via the Steam options for the game. Something like "Manage Betas" (can't access Steam right now to check).

EDIT: Right click the game, properties, "Betas" then select the version from "Beta Participation".

Last edited:
Oops. well that made it worse. game is now reporting that all saves have missing mods and crashes when loading :( Upgrading back to Patch 7 and will have to try to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom