Baldur's Gate 3

Associate
It depends on who initiates the conversation or is at the front of the group. But yeah, this tends to be whoever is the most charismatic or perceptive character most of the time. Or that person who insists on charging ahead alone :)
Both of those things are true in this case I think. :D

It's been interesting not talking to the companions as well, unless they've a ! and something specific to say. It's still made sense but is clearly lacking in details which is what you would expect from not doing all their chats. We're now missing two of them, one never joined us as they died before we spoke to them. :D

Soldato
Act 2 spoiler regarding Isobel

wow, the fight to save Isobel in the last light inn was god damn tough. Had to respec a couple of characters with spells that buff her. Anyone having trouble my strat was casting sanctuary on Isobel BEFORE the fight even started. Just a tip that got me through the battle with relative ease

Soldato
Act 2 spoiler regarding Isobel

wow, the fight to save Isobel in the last light inn was god damn tough. Had to respec a couple of characters with spells that buff her. Anyone having trouble my strat was casting sanctuary on Isobel BEFORE the fight even started. Just a tip that got me through the battle with relative ease

No because:

I sided with Markus, however things get really tough immediately after if you do that.

Soldato
Is there a way to control multiple custom characters in a solo or co-op game? I'd like to do a co-op run with a friend where we each control two custom characters and don't use any of the origin companions. I heard there was some kind of lobby trick but they patched this out. Is there any other way?

Soldato
It is obvious to me now that to have a 'proper' evil play through, you need to choose dark urge origin. There's a lot more depth to it this way, without it I didn't feel I had as much freedom of choice that I wanted.

One example involves an NPC with a lute, you can smash the lute and that is that but with dark urge you get some extra content, I am not sure if that still happens if you don't smash it though.

Man of Honour
It is obvious to me now that to have a 'proper' evil play through, you need to choose dark urge origin. There's a lot more depth to it this way, without it I didn't feel I had as much freedom of choice that I wanted.

One example involves an NPC with a lute, you can smash the lute and that is that but with dark urge you get some extra content, I am not sure if that still happens if you don't smash it though.
Dark Urge has some extra dialog options but its still possible to have a proper evil play through, on our 4 player evil party run through none of us have picked Dark Urge but we've been just about as evil as it comes, we'd make Palpatine proud :)

Soldato
Dark Urge has some extra dialog options but its still possible to have a proper evil play through, on our 4 player evil party run through none of us have picked Dark Urge but we've been just about as evil as it comes, we'd make Palpatine proud :)

A lot of the time I wanted to do something that simply wasn't an option and also the dialogue doesn't change depending on your alignment as it did in the older games. Plus the reactions of your character to things they wouldn't react to is always a bit weird, but it's ok. Can't have it all.

PS: Re 'proper evil' and the lute
I don't belive there is the option to completely dismember the annoying Tiefling with the Lute unless you choose Dark Urge :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing I would say, a truly evil run is a MUCH shorter run than playing the game as a good party. A proper evil run works out at probably only about 30-40 hours because you bypass SO many quests and locations if you are truly roleplaying as evil

Man of Honour
A lot of the time I wanted to do something that simply wasn't an option and also the dialogue doesn't change depending on your alignment as it did in the older games. Plus the reactions of your character to things they wouldn't react to is always a bit weird, but it's ok. Can't have it all.

PS: Re 'proper evil' and the lute
I don't belive there is the option to completely dismember the annoying Tiefling with the Lute unless you choose Dark Urge :D
Havent tried it on the lute but generally on our evil party run we simply hold ctrl and kill anyone we want, which as it turns out, is most people :D

Soldato
Havent tried it on the lute but generally on our evil party run we simply hold ctrl and kill anyone we want, which as it turns out, is most people :D

Ah no, this is a specific cutscene to that origin. Not something you could do without it and I suspect there is plenty more to follow.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ah no, this is a specific cutscene to that origin. Not something you could do without it and I suspect there is plenty more to follow.
Mind you, having said that, our evil party most likely would never even encounter the situation as we're evil, we only do things for our own gain and we dont help anyone out or go out of our way, I mean, why would we, we travel from A to B and theres no benefit for us to divert from our path to look at anything that isnt getting us to target B. Its one of the reasons that an evil run is so much quicker than a good party run.

Soldato
Mind you, having said that, our evil party most likely would never even encounter the situation as we're evil, we only do things for our own gain and we dont help anyone out or go out of our way, I mean, why would we, we travel from A to B and theres no benefit for us to divert from our path to look at anything that isnt getting us to target B. Its one of the reasons that an evil run is so much quicker than a good party run.

Evil doesn't mean just killing people though and in some cases even a mercy, smashing her favourite Lute which was given by her dead teacher is enough. The cutscene occurs when you camp next.

Man of Honour
Evil doesn't mean just killing people though and in some cases even a mercy, smashing her favourite Lute which was given by her dead teacher is enough. The cutscene occurs when you camp next.
Depends on the evil you are playing, we play essentially as a band of downright scummy killers, who murder and kill without hesitation or compassion sometimes we even kill just for the sheer fun of it, anything that gets us more wealth or more power, we help and aid nobody unless it can get us more wealth/power and even then we'd end up likely killing the people we help in order to get whatever they have as well. We are playing pretty much as a group of psycopaths, we embrace every tadpole power as soon as possible as it makes us stronger (a bit too strong really tbh)

Soldato
Depends on the evil you are playing, we play essentially as a band of downright scummy killers, who murder and kill without hesitation or compassion sometimes we even kill just for the sheer fun of it, anything that gets us more wealth or more power, we help and aid nobody unless it can get us more wealth/power and even then we'd end up likely killing the people we help in order to get whatever they have as well. We are playing pretty much as a group of psycopaths, we embrace every tadpole power as soon as possible as it makes us stronger (a bit too strong really tbh)

I guess that works too. However, cannot beat a tailormade cutscene of a Tiefling with her innards hanging out and then choosing the "giggle" option about the situation :D

I found a lot of the tadpole options useless as most that I had seen were tailored for melee characters. Being the most important person I of course had to have them all on my made character, not the filthy origin ones.

Man of Honour
I guess that works too. However, cannot beat a tailormade cutscene of a Tiefling with her innards hanging out and then choosing the "giggle" option about the situation :D

I found a lot of the tadpole options useless as most that I had seen were tailored for melee characters. Being the most important person I of course had to have them all on my made character, not the filthy origin ones.
The tadpole displacer beast power is nuts, did an entire dungeon with just 1 character using that power nonstop through the dungeon. Bit too OP really that ability when uses right.

We get plenty of giggle when slaughtering innocents, but its RP'ed giggle on discord rather than a dialog option, just cant beat playing with other folks, raises every game to a whole other level :D

Soldato
The tadpole displacer beast power is nuts, did an entire dungeon with just 1 character using that power nonstop through the dungeon. Bit too OP really that ability when uses right.

We get plenty of giggle when slaughtering innocents, but its RP'ed giggle on discord rather than a dialog option, just cant beat playing with other folks, raises every game to a whole other level :D

We both know we will never agree on this. The last thing I want to do on a game like this is be talking to bloody people on Discord.
I'll investigate that power, tbh I tend to stick to the same ones that work for me and don't really bother with the other 80%. I shall report back.

PS: When you RP, do you have a guy yelling "LIGHTNING BOLT" over and over?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We both know we will never agree on this. The last thing I want to do on a game like this is be talking to bloody people on Discord.
I'll investigate that power, tbh I tend to stick to the same ones that work for me and don't really bother with the other 80%. I shall report back.

PS: When you RP, do you have a guy yelling "LIGHTNING BOLT" over and over?
With Random people, I would agree with you, when its mates that you've played games with for 20+ years, its superb :)

Soldato
I've just finished a normal mode playthrough as a duo in co-op. Was such a lot of fun, we had a real laugh throughout.

Combat is so much fun multiplayer, but the story doesn't adapt for it. So you have to accept that whoever initiates the conversations or encounters will drive the story. We discussed important decisions on Discord, so it was ok. But I could see this getting messy in 4-player depending on how well the players know or trust each other.

Also the poor ending is even worse in multiplayer. In solo it is unfinished and unpolished, but co-op takes this to another level of awfulness. Because I wasn't the one initiating the cut scenes, my character was totally invisible throughout the entire ending of the game, not represented even once in any of the cut scenes or dialogues, not even standing in the background. It was as if my character had never existed. That's an huge design flaw they absolutely need to fix.

Both of us agreed on finishing that the ending was a total let down and left a lasting sense of disappointment. Which is a crying shame because of how amazing the rest of the game was. But a bad ending stays in the memory (Mass Effect I'm looking at you) so I hope they patch in a much better epilogue.

Man of Honour
I've just finished a normal mode playthrough as a duo in co-op. Was such a lot of fun, we had a real laugh throughout.

Combat is so much fun multiplayer, but the story doesn't adapt for it. So you have to accept that whoever initiates the conversations or encounters will drive the story. We discussed important decisions on Discord, so it was ok. But I could see this getting messy in 4-player depending on how well the players know or trust each other.

Also the poor ending is even worse in multiplayer. In solo it is unfinished and unpolished, but co-op takes this to another level of awfulness. Because I wasn't the one initiating the cut scenes, my character was totally invisible throughout the entire ending of the game, not represented even once in any of the cut scenes or dialogues, not even standing in the background. It was as if my character had never existed. That's an huge design flaw they absolutely need to fix.

Both of us agreed on finishing that the ending was a total let down and left a lasting sense of disappointment. Which is a crying shame because of how amazing the rest of the game was. But a bad ending stays in the memory (Mass Effect I'm looking at you) so I hope they patch in a much better epilogue.
The ending is definitely the weakest point of the game, whether thats down to them pushing the game forward a month or not I guess we'll never know but you'd like to think that the ending was in place even before the month advance date.

Back
Top Bottom