BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

Soldato
I doubt that the retailer (OCUK or whomever) would be able to help you out anyway. Unless it was within the first year.

After waiting for 3 months for my monitor to be repaired, I pushed for a partial refund and finally they told me that the panel for this model is obsolete and tried to fob me off with a new 23" TN-panel L-2362WD.

As can be seen in the quote above, they have no more panels left, so are simply stalling, hoping you get bored and give up.

You can wait another 6 months and odds are that they will still be "awaiting replacment parts".

I would suggest you push for a partial refund or ask them to give you a TN panel.

What if you take them to small claims court? Are DGM based in the UK? Would this work?

Associate
Funny enough, I'm also getting this awaiting replacement parts from DGM (Repair Tech) and it is taking far too long. I've just sent an email to the shop i bought it from, demanding a full refund or that they actually sort this repair out like they should have in the first place, instead of just forwarding me onto DGM. Its the sellers responsibility after all.

Associate
Unfortunately the retailer isn't responsible outside the first year I believe (It may even be less than that). Unless there is an inherent defect in the product.

I went through something similar recently with an HP laptop bought by PC world, they had to offer me a partial refund even though it was well outside warranty, because there was an inherent fault. (Sale of goods act 1979 iirc)

My monitor must have been easily repairable, I was lucky, I got it back within a week!
All the best,
Ash

Associate
I also received it back swiftly at first, however it was not repaired. I don't know if it's a specific part which they have ran out of, or if this "awaiting replacement part" is just some excuse.

Associate
Well its' not as bad as it might be

Ok, they emailed me back, also saying it is an obsolete panel and offered me the same 23.6" monitor. I obviously don't want it, has anyone had any luck past this stage?

I can see the frustration in not receiving like for like on replacement on a warranty, but frankly its ridiculous to expect a supplier to maintain replacement parts for a monitor that's in excess of 2 years old.

It could be worse interms fo the warranty - they might no longer be in business. It's not that unreasonable that youshould be offered the current "similar" (although not the same I acknowledge) item as a replacement. They are hardly going to hold infinite stock of the same item on an ongoing basis just in case.

I can see the frustration etc, but that's part of the risk that we as customers take when we buy goods and particuallry techonology, where things a reconstantly changing.

Perhaps you can sell the replacement monitor offered and offset the cost of a new monitor if you don't like the replacement?

Associate
I got a new offer from Digimate. They still won't give me a partial refund but they are willing to offer me:

1. A brand new L-2362WD as replacement

2. A free gift of L-1531 monitor or sound bar.

3. On top of it, I will offer you an extra 12 months warranty.

Now this is more like it, I can probably sell this off to a friend and get the £90 I wanted for the refund. The 15" monitor looks rubbish so I'll go for the soundbar.

Associate
Yeah i know what your saying, but i wouldn't have minded if they told me this 3-4 months ago, instead of wasting my time and money. I've asked for a full refund, if he says no i suppose i've got no option but to accept the replacement.

Also their similar monitor is quite different, but to be fair, they shouldn't offer 3 year warrantys if after 2 years they can't repair them.

*EDIT*
That offer sounds ok, but then again, the replacement monitor is worth £100 (original was £200) and the soundbar is like £50. So you would get £150, if you managed to sell them, which i wouldn't count on. I'm going to see if he will tell the seller that its unrepairable/unreplacable and see if the seller would give me a refund.

I don't think i would take the monitor because it's like buying a car with a warranty and the engine breaks and its obsolete and they give you and smaller and less powerfull engine. But if you paid for a different one, why should you be forced to have something less?

Last edited:
Associate
I've had mine for about 1.5 years so I was expecting around half my money back, there's no way you can get a full refund after so long. I'm replying back atm, let you guys know how it goes.

In my case its good timing, I'm studying abroad in a few months so I was hoping to dump my monitor to a friend since I can't take it with me and the warranty will run out when I come back. I get some of my money back and my friend gets a secondary monitor for Xbox LAN parties. Otherwise I would be pretty miffed as well if I was forced to downgrade even though the warranty should cover it. Good luck to you if you decide to haggle some more though.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, the reason I'm annoyed is because im going to I40 this year (LAN) and it's the monitor im used to playing with, so if i get a different one it's kinda going to mess things up. I'll try haggle abit, worth a try, good luck in your warranty woes :p

Associate
I've trying to play the manufacturer and seller, told the seller: DGM said it cannot be repaired due to an obsolete part. They said that if i sent them the monitor back i may get a full refund or a replacement monitor. I tried really hard to push a guarenteed refund but she couldn't guarantee it. I said that i would only want an exact replacement, but the monitor is discontinued.

I think if i can get the monitor back from DGM, ill send it back to the shop and see if I get a refund, or hopefully a better replacement than DGM is offering. Ofcourse, this depends what DGM offer me.

*EDIT*
I got the same offer from DGM, I'm asking for it to be sent back to me asap and going to try my luck with the seller!

Last edited:
Associate
I can see the frustration in not receiving like for like on replacement on a warranty, but frankly its ridiculous to expect a supplier to maintain replacement parts for a monitor that's in excess of 2 years old.

You are right that it's better than nothing

It's not *THAT* ridiculous considering that they offer a 3 year warranty. Did they just cross their fingers and hope the monitors didn't blow up after 2 years?

Losing 230400 pixels isn't to be sniffed at. I bought it specifically as I wanted more vertical resolution and the 3 year warranty was a bonus.

Mine has gone again 1.5 days after being repaired. They are collecting it again tomorrow.

If it's going to be a long time I'd rather they sorted me out with the other monitor rather than messing me about for months.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting on parts!

All the best,
Ash

Associate
Lol, i just sent my monitor back to the retailer (d.a.b.s), and they had it one day and have already sent me a 100% refund (£199.98), even though it is almost 3 years old. I'm well chuffed!!
Just thought i would let you guys now, there is always hope!!

Fab

Fab

Associate
That's good news indeed!
Unfortunately for me.. DGM have received and ignored requests made [in writing] to return the unit. I did hear back from the call centre manager [Jo Palimaka] but a 5 month wait and 2 letters later all I got is..

"I have received your letter of complaint and unfortunately we still have no ETA on the parts, I have logged your complaint and sent your details over to head office, as soon as I receive any correspondence back I will be in contact with you."

Received on the 29/07/2010.

I believe it's time I get in contact with trading standards once again!

Associate
Yup, repairtech in warwickshire. The best thing to do is use the email someone posted on this page, or the 1 before. It goes directly to the head office and you will get things sorted a lot clearer, for me, i was waiting 3 months for a replacement part, i emailed that address and in the same day i got an email back saying the part is obsolete. I did say to them it's ridiculous that i had to wait 3 months for a part that is obsolete just because of a lack of communication between head office and repairtech... It's really appauling.

Back
Top Bottom