BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

i use 47 brightness, 67 contrast and i can see the first bar and the first square.

this is exactly why ive said, a few times now, to set your own monitor up uses tools such as that you've linked to. i cant quite believe that you are dismissing everybody else's results based on your own monitor.

If I may speak on his behalf ( I know, who the hell am I to..:p) I think what he is tryning to say is that you can always sacrifice brightness, but you should never (and never have to) sacrifice contrast, as this will be to the detriment of the quality of image displayed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I took from his post.:)

Are their any specific drivers for XP Pro 32 bit, It's just detected as a plug n' play for now, all seems fine anyway but just wondered what everyone else has done
Ta

If I may speak on his behalf ( I know, who the hell am I to..:p) I think what he is tryning to say is that you can always sacrifice brightness, but you should never (and never have to) sacrifice contrast, as this will be to the detriment of the quality of image displayed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I took from his post.:)

i yeah, i know what he is saying. what im sayng, is that the settings i use use are as good as they are going to get with the naked eye regarding contrast and colour levels. ie, as wide and accurate as they can be

i yeah, i know what he is saying. what im sayng, is that the settings i use use are as good as they are going to get with the naked eye regarding contrast and colour levels. ie, as wide and accurate as they can be

Agreed :) and each monitor is different just as each person's eyesight is.

Earlier in the thread I asked for some settings, just as a guide, to see if it made my particular screen and issues any better, alas I think mine was a significant screen fault.

:eek: No alec, you should have gone for it mate.

Let me know what the 20" is like anyway.

Just hope you don't regret passing up on the 24".
Coming from a 22" CRT straight to my first LCD I couldn't be more pleased. (Apart from the registration debacle.)
They say size doesn't matter. But as far as I'm concerned, with screens it does. :D

EPIC FAIL

i know i know :( just too expensive for me - had it of been on T.W.O still i might have gone for it but just to expensive :( got to learn to drive as well!

:(

Your views on models number L-2442W and L-2442WD . They are not the same .
Which do you have and what do you think ?
I have the former and my friend who bought one has the latter .
Are they the same panel ? If not which is better ?

Last edited:
L2442WD panel type

I have received mine yesterday.
The order was for L2442W but the label on the back says L2442WD.

It has no dead pixels.

On a quick inspection the label on the panel (as seen from under the vents with the connectors) is M240UW01 V.3

This is different from Jaric's panel which he mentioned to be V0. Maybe he had an L2442W. :confused:

It seems that the panel is built by AU Optronics but on their site there is no info. for it.

However, there is a pdf http://www.gvtcn.com/images/pdf/p/M240UW01V3.pdf that claims that this would be a 300nits panel (the OCUK site claims 500, which might have been true for the original L2442W)
The strange part is that some sites are mentionig 300nits for some DGM clones.

My particular monitor has apparently some banding on the color gradient.
To have an idea, the banding looks very similar as seen on a Iiyama Prolite E483S which is if I am correct a 6bit +dithering TN panel!

Another monitor I tested was a Dell 2005FPW which had substantially less color banding but this is S-IPS type.

I am not claiming that L2442WD are TN, but the output for the color gradients is similar to at least one TN panel.

I might be able to post a picture this weekend.

My colors were initially kind of washed out and after reducing a bit the brightness (to 40) and increasing the contrast (to 60) the color reproduction was improved but the banding especially in the dark shades is more than I expected.

Gibbo, could you please shed some more light on the panel for the L2442WD?

What panel are others having?

I was under the impression that there was supposed to be only one panel type for 24" OcUK LCDs.

One way to check if it is a TN panel would be to look at the viewing angles. The viewing angles on my 'W' version are great and you can quite literally look at the screen at an incredibly acute angle (from the top) and see no change in image quality. A TN panel will give itself away very easily.

Had a peer through the slots by the VGA/DVI connectors and mine (which the box/model is a W) shows

Manufactured: 06/33
Model: M240UW01 v.0
AU Oproni 08
Made in Taiwan M1

As I've posted before, my panel is fine, minimal back light bleed (better than any other TFT I've owned), no other issues with gradients or pixels :)

Had a peer through the slots by the VGA/DVI connectors and mine (which the box/model is a W) shows

Manufactured: 06/33
Model: M240UW01 v.0
AU Oproni 08
Made in Taiwan M1

As I've posted before, my panel is fine, minimal back light bleed (better than any other TFT I've owned), no other issues with gradients or pixels :)

Ummm what version number is your panel.

M240UW01 V1 is a TN panel, V2 and V4 are AMVA.

I've got another panel here that I know is TN and there's no way they are the same :confused:

The 24 allows me to look almost along the plane of the screen with no loss of colour whereas the TN loses all colour and goes almost monochrome.

What's a V.0 then as it doesn't say v1 :confused:

Aaahhhgggg Gutted, I have found what is wrong with mine...it got worse tonight:

Faultnonuniformbacklight004.jpg

There is some sort of fault non-uniformity top left hand corner is worst, bottom left less so, but its not as evident [but if you look closely it is there] on the right hand side.

:(

How do I get another screen ?
Easier to go to the OCUK counter ? I work not too far away, well 25 miles ?

I have the exact same problem with mine, also recieved mine on Tuesday when as far as I could see it was fine. After a days use I noticed this when loading up Crysis and the intro adverts came up (Intel etc) on black background, saw a grey smear in top left of the screen. Hoping it was just on that intro-movie I fired up DeadPixelBuddy and done a black screen test, only to find these pale patches were in all corners of the screen :eek: .

Very disappointed to say the least, had been following this thread and it was the glowing reviews in here that persuaded me to buy it, I can put up with a bright LED lol! Then got the monitor and seeing it is as superb as everyone is claiming it to be but then finding the next day it has become severely flawed by dodgey backlight was a bit of a kick-in-the-teeth. :(
Not sure I can put up with this fault, it is very obvious whenever there is a dark image on the screen, be it movies / games etc. It looks like there is sunlight shining on the top left corner of the screen, and to a lesser extent the others..

So it seems they won't accept this as 'Faulty' ? I might just have to get a refund then, which is a shame as I pretty much fell in love with this monitor when I first got it, only for it to deteriorate over a days use. Is also interesting how this flaw has only been mentioned over the past few days, seems it is present on quite a few in the latest batch?

24"WS

AUO P-MVA M240UW01 V0 1920x1200 8ms G2G 1000 : 1 500 178/178 16.7m
AUO AMVA M240UW01 V2 1920x1200 10ms 1000 : 1 300 178/178 16.7m 72%
AUO AMVA M240UW01 V4 1920x1200 6ms G2G 1000 : 1 400 178/178 16.7m 92%
AUO TN Film M240UW04 V1 1920x1200 5ms 1000 : 1 450 160/160 16.7m 92%

I've found the AUO full datasheet on the M240UW01 V0 panel in case anyone wants the full tech details here with everything you would ever want to know :)

Back
Top Bottom