BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

I have the exact same problem with mine, also recieved mine on Tuesday when as far as I could see it was fine. After a days use I noticed this when loading up Crysis and the intro adverts came up (Intel etc) on black background, saw a grey smear in top left of the screen. Hoping it was just on that intro-movie I fired up DeadPixelBuddy and done a black screen test, only to find these pale patches were in all corners of the screen :eek: .

Can you have a peek through the grill by the VGA/DVI with a torch and get the panel info so we can see if there is a trend with panel info :)

I have the exact same problem with mine, also recieved mine on Tuesday when as far as I could see it was fine. After a days use I noticed this when loading up Crysis and the intro adverts came up (Intel etc) on black background, saw a grey smear in top left of the screen. Hoping it was just on that intro-movie I fired up DeadPixelBuddy and done a black screen test, only to find these pale patches were in all corners of the screen :eek: .

Very disappointed to say the least, had been following this thread and it was the glowing reviews in here that persuaded me to buy it, I can put up with a bright LED lol! Then got the monitor and seeing it is as superb as everyone is claiming it to be but then finding the next day it has become severely flawed by dodgey backlight was a bit of a kick-in-the-teeth. :(
Not sure I can put up with this fault, it is very obvious whenever there is a dark image on the screen, be it movies / games etc. It looks like there is sunlight shining on the top left corner of the screen, and to a lesser extent the others..

So it seems they won't accept this as 'Faulty' ? I might just have to get a refund then, which is a shame as I pretty much fell in love with this monitor when I first got it, only for it to deteriorate over a days use. Is also interesting how this flaw has only been mentioned over the past few days, seems it is present on quite a few in the latest batch?

Same feelings I had, great screen, but it looked like there was an external light source constantly shinning on the left hand side, noticeable and certainly not something you should have to put up with.

It would be interesting to find out if all these more recent screens are from the same batch ?
I don't think mine was a TN panel, but it certainly wasn't as good at the angles as some of the pics I have seen earlier in the thread.
I jotted down the serial number of mine before I got my money back, will post this evening.

Its a real shame, the screen would have been amazing if fault free.

well, overclockers are still advertising them as VA panels, giving you a vaild reason to return them if you arent happy - they dont fit the description.

AFAIK they are all VA panels but there are different types of VA that's why OC only says VA because Digimate could not specify the exact VA type as they use whatever panels are available at the time on manufacture.

More info on my panel.

It is V.3 and buit on 06/45

I am not complaining about viewing angles, per se, but I am wondering about the color banding. It might still be a VA panel but a cheaper one.

In the pdf from my previous post, it is stated contrast ratio 800:1 and brightness 300nits.

The V0 pfd posted by DavidS13 states ratio 1000:1 and brightness 500nits.

Thus they kind of look like different panels at least even if they are both VA panels.

As I previously mentioned I am not claiming that this is a TN panel, but just that It looked similar (in banding) to one which is TN. This only means for now that the E483S TN panel is better than other TN panels and the V3 panel is possibly worse than other (V0) VA panel(s).

It was not clear for me that V3 is actually an 8bit panel, the pdf that I saw was mentioning 16.7 mil. colours and 8bit RGB data input, but this might have been only for the type of DVI signal it should receive from the graphics card.

One more time :), the angles are not that bad in my case (I see a bit of color washed out from acute angles) but only the color banding bothers me atm.

I have an image showing the banding but I do not know how to insert it directly (without hosting it somewhere else)

Last edited:
So we've got a panel lottery going on here too now? :confused:
Seriously fed up of this lucky-dip crap, I researched different monitors for months and had much difficulty making a decision due to all the stuff I read about different panels in monitors such as the popular Samsungs. After reading 50 pages of this thread with nothing but good comments I thought I had made the most educated decision ever and yet it seems I still ended up with a trash panel. Don't understand how the manufacturers can get away with this garbage, if something is sold under one name surely they should be made up of the same parts? Am gutted and not looking forward to my next dice-roll...

I have received mine yesterday.
The order was for L2442W but the label on the back says L2442WD.

It has no dead pixels.

On a quick inspection the label on the panel (as seen from under the vents with the connectors) is M240UW01 V.3

This is different from Jaric's panel which he mentioned to be V0. Maybe he had an L2442W. :confused:

It seems that the panel is built by AU Optronics but on their site there is no info. for it.

However, there is a pdf http://www.gvtcn.com/images/pdf/p/M240UW01V3.pdf that claims that this would be a 300nits panel (the OCUK site claims 500, which might have been true for the original L2442W)
The strange part is that some sites are mentionig 300nits for some DGM clones.

My particular monitor has apparently some banding on the color gradient.
To have an idea, the banding looks very similar as seen on a Iiyama Prolite E483S which is if I am correct a 6bit +dithering TN panel!

Another monitor I tested was a Dell 2005FPW which had substantially less color banding but this is S-IPS type.

I am not claiming that L2442WD are TN, but the output for the color gradients is similar to at least one TN panel.

I might be able to post a picture this weekend.

My colors were initially kind of washed out and after reducing a bit the brightness (to 40) and increasing the contrast (to 60) the color reproduction was improved but the banding especially in the dark shades is more than I expected.

Gibbo, could you please shed some more light on the panel for the L2442WD?

What panel are others having?

I was under the impression that there was supposed to be only one panel type for 24" OcUK LCDs.

Mine is an L2442WD with the V.0 panel. :confused:

color banding?

Yer just upload it mate,photobucket etc

Ok, signed up photobucket.

The banding effect (second row should ideally not have any steps)
Both rows are gray in reality(on the monitor). The slight color shifts are due to my camera/compression.
The issue here is just regarding the vertical bands in the second row. They are not ccd artefacts

v3banding.jpg

Angles tests (slight color washout from angles):
Any vertical stripes in the images below are due to my camera ccd and not present on the LCD.

straight on:
noangle.jpg

From Top Right
angled.jpg

I bought one and after testing it to see if it had any dead pixels, I noticed one little dot that is stuck pink on a white background. What should I do? Its a christmas present and I wanted it to be perfect. Should I send it back for another one?

Thank you :)

I bought one and after testing it to see if it had any dead pixels, I noticed one little dot that is stuck pink on a white background. What should I do? Its a christmas present and I wanted it to be perfect. Should I send it back for another one?

Returning it for a single dead pixel would be extremely harsh. What if you exchange it and get a monitor with even more dead pixels?

Personally, I would keep it.

If the screen is otherwise perfect then it's worth trying to fix the pixel, if it has any other faults as well then RMA it.

If it's worth keeping, the first thing to try is software based fix.

Download UDPixel and press start, you'll get a little flashing square on the screen. Move the square with the mouse so it's on top of the dead pixel and leave it running for a while (site recommends a couple of hours).

There are ways af "massaging" the screen surface but try the software first.

i.ant, what program are you suing?

jake000 I think ive got one, to much hassle to send it back iam happy with mine its only one pixel so its not really bothering me.

I am using color gradients as indicated on http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/6bit_8bit.htm

Direct link to exe file http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/downloads/Colour_Gradients.exe

Please note that the same program looks better on a DELL 2005FPW (1680x1050) and perfect on an iiyama 19" CRT (1280x1024).

I also tried the program on my V3 using for instance 1280x1024 with (centered) 1:1 pixel mapping from the nvpanel for my Geforce8800GTS using DVI and I still got the same banding.

Back
Top Bottom