BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

An update on my dead pixel. I tried UDPixel to no avail :(

I phoned OcUK and asked if it could be exchanged due to the dead pixel and they said no, it has to be atleast 5 dead pixels. Im not very happy with the service :(

Are you real?

It has nothing whatsoever to do with OcUK having bad service it's the manufacturers, how would you feel if you bought a 30" Dell @ £833 then have 3 dead pixels? This is what my friend has and he knows it's the luck of the draw and is stated in the manufacturers warranty conditions.

So why on earth people like you on here expect a £200 monitor that should be priced at over £300 to be better than any other make or model beggers belief.

Merry Christmas:)

Just thought that I would post a little about dead pixels and the like whilst I wait for the family to get out of bed / call round :)

AFAIK, and that is very little at times, the dead pixel policy, at its minimum, is governed by the ISO-13406-2 regulation which states...

...as I found the above on a competitors website I just cut the image and pasted it.

The full regulations can be found here...

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=25670

AFAIK the retailers have to abide by the above regulations but some manufacturers will enhance their guarantees above and beyond what they are obliged to do, as will some retailers.

If you have a read of the following...

...you will notice that they go into a little more detail than the first one posted.

Albeit an example that they quote...

On the other hand, if your screen has two white pixels, two black and six colored, BenQ could reply that they are still within the norm and refuse a return.

...I certainly would not like to have that monitor....!!!!

I have had one TFT with a flashing pixel and it drove me nuts, my sanity only returning after it finally died.

Merry Xmas people :)

Ive got about 8/9 dead/stuck pixels which you can clearly see on a black background, about 5 of them are a bit bigger, the rest are a bit smaller and harder to spot

thing is when i put another colour on the background, i cant really see them, does this mean its dead or stuck? ive already tried the dead pixel fixer thing, no change

you cant see them unless you put the screen on a total black background and look for them...

so i guess it wont effect me when watching anything...but just the fact knowing they are there...makes me wana return it...and also if i ever want to sell it on again (although i see no reason, it really is a great monitor).

I recieved it last Tuesday, im assuming OcUK wont be open till Thursday, so that would be 9 days since i received it, would it stil be ok to get an RMA then? but dont wana be without a monitor for a few days :(

duno what to do, shall i return it?

Raise a webnote now detailing the problems and you would like to RMA, also say that you are also rejecting it under Distance Selling. That way you've let them know within the 7 days for the DS even if they don't get the note until they open again.

Are you real?

It has nothing whatsoever to do with OcUK having bad service it's the manufacturers, how would you feel if you bought a 30" Dell @ £833 then have 3 dead pixels? This is what my friend has and he knows it's the luck of the draw and is stated in the manufacturers warranty conditions.

So why on earth people like you on here expect a £200 monitor that should be priced at over £300 to be better than any other make or model beggers belief.

Merry Christmas:)

I expect anything I buy to be fault free at time of purchase, just because something is good value doesn't mean that it has to be poor quality.

If I was spending >£800 on a monitor then I would want it perfect so I'd either go to the shop and see it working before I took it home or mail order and then use DS until I got a fault free panel.

I agree it's not OC's fault that there are the occasional faulty panel but the DS regs are there to be used so why not use them ?

Got a black line through my screen any way to get rid of it or do I have to RMA it?

Also do I have to pay for delivery again for it to get shipped back and returned?

Raise a webnote now detailing the problems and you would like to RMA, also say that you are also rejecting it under Distance Selling. That way you've let them know within the 7 days for the DS even if they don't get the note until they open again.

thanks, just did that.

ive never RMA'd something before, on the ocuk site for the DSR it says 'you will be responsible for returning the goods to Overclockers UK at your own cost'

does that mean i have to arrange my own courier to pick it up and pay for it myself? :(

From what I understand, if you are going to return the item under the DSR, it is your responsibility to make sure the item arrives at OCUK, in its correct packaging, so it can be re-sold.

If however, you are doing an RMA, because the item has 9 dead pixels (as I believe is the case with your monitor), then you probably wont have to ensure that the packaging is pristine and OCUK might arrange for a courier to pick up the item from your house.

It would probably better for one of the people who have RMA'd their faulty monitors for a replacement to shed more light here.

From what I understand, if you are going to return the item under the DSR, it is your responsibility to make sure the item arrives at OCUK, in its correct packaging, so it can be re-sold.

If however, you are doing an RMA, because the item has 9 dead pixels (as I believe is the case with your monitor), then you probably wont have to ensure that the packaging is pristine and OCUK might arrange for a courier to pick up the item from your house.

It would probably better for one of the people who have RMA'd their faulty monitors for a replacement to shed more light here.

Well mine has a black line running through it, what does that mean?

An obvious line running across the screen = faulty monitor. It means that you can return it or get it replaced by claiming the item as faulty. OCUK will not argue with you on this.

The only time they have is when someone who had 1 dead pixel wanted to return/replace the monitor - something that is hard to see with the naked eye.

My two faulty monitors had the same problems. Just ring them up and they'll arrange for citylink to pick it up at their cost. If you want a refund they will refund you everything including delivery charges.

My two faulty monitors had the same problems. Just ring them up and they'll arrange for citylink to pick it up at their cost. If you want a refund they will refund you everything including delivery charges.

Well i love the monitor itself, so i wont want a refund. Just hassle you know?

So when I ring up they will say "we'll arrange a pickup for you at blah blah blah?" or will I have to say "Is it possbile for a pickup?"

when i told them i got a dead line on my monitor i bought the day before they offered me to collect it, no problem. honestly, i wouldnt pay a penny for returning a clearly faulty monitor i just bought :)

i hope i will have better luck the second time. should be arriving late this week, or next week.

Originally Posted by Sime

My two faulty monitors had the same problems. Just ring them up and they'll arrange for citylink to pick it up at their cost. If you want a refund they will refund you everything including delivery charges

btw, i didnt think they would refund delivery charges ?

Pixel check: Ive done some pixel tests, there are none to report. No dead/stuck pixels, which is a relief.

I'm sorry but you seem to be criticising people who are complaining about the odd dead pixel on thier monitor. if your were so relieved after you tested and found there were no dead pixels on your monitor, doesn't that mean that you wouldn't be happy if you had any or am i reading this wrongly?

Absolutely awesome. Unwrapped this Christmas morning, set her up prayed for no pixels/dead lines at all and I got exactly what I ordered. A perfect v.0 screen with no dead pixels, and no lines and generally being an awesome monitor. This is massive, upgrading from a 19" widescreen it's awesome.

Colour's are perfect, can view this monitor perfectly for any angle. Now I just need to stealth tape mod that blue light! Tis in the way a little!

I'm sorry but you seem to be criticising people who are complaining about the odd dead pixel on thier monitor. if your were so relieved after you tested and found there were no dead pixels on your monitor, doesn't that mean that you wouldn't be happy if you had any or am i reading this wrongly?

If I had found some dead/stuck pixels, then I would've reported them in my review. This does not mean that I would've opted to return the monitor. I would see the effect that these dead pixels are having on my user experience and make my mind up at that point.

Ive not seen a dead pixel on this monitor, but from what people have said, it is the size of a spec of dust. Now if that is the case and I had 1 dead pixel I most certainly wouldnt return the monitor as the chances of getting it replaced with a monitor with no dead pixels are EXTREMELY low. The hassle to me and the retailer just wouldnt warrant such an action.

People forget that LCD monitors do have the danger of dead pixels. Most retailers/manufacturers ask that if someone returns the monitor, they do so with monitors with 5 or more dead/stuck pixels. Any less and they are reluctant to co-operate (unless you get them on the distance selling regs). If you want a 100% guarantee of no dead pixels, then CRT technology is totally mature and will work 100%. There wont be any variance, so perhaps that might be an option, if you can afford the extra space.

In time, Im sure that LCD panels will improve in quality, but until then, we have to put up with the fact that LCD panels do not have to pass the most stringent quality control checks that perhaps CRT monitors would've had to do in the past.

In time, Im sure that LCD panels will improve in quality, but until then, we have to put up with the fact that LCD panels do not have to pass the most stringent quality control checks that perhaps CRT monitors would've had to do in the past.

It is precicely this prevailing attitude that prevents progress on this front.
The fact that the TFT manufacturers have conditioned the consumer to expect and indeed accept faults (dead / stuck pixels) means that they have no driver for improvement.

If everyone demanded perfection, we would all be paying around twice as much as you are now for the same screen, a price to pay for confidence ?

Its a trade off obviously, but I would be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 users would be willing to pay the same, if not slightly more for our TFT's and would not be too bothered with one or two (max) stuck or dead pixels, but want everything else (backlight uniformity, backlight bleed, ghosting, build quality of stand,) to be spot on.

We can understand the complexities of the TFT screen manufacture and understand why they can't guarantee perfect pixel fault free product, but get the assembly right at least FFS.

I had a single clear pixel on my screen that didn't bother me in the slightest, however when the backlight becomes an issue that is when you reconsider your purchase.

Previous to this I had a samsung Pebble 22" which suffered from bleed...both screens I would have kept it they had a single dead / stuck pixel but were otherwise perfect.

If everyone demanded perfection, we would all be paying around twice as much as you are now for the same screen, a price to pay for confidence ?

I doubt you would pay double, but you certainly would pay around 50% more.

We can understand the complexities of the TFT screen manufacture and understand why they can't guarantee perfect pixel fault free product, but get the assembly right at least FFS.

They've got the manufacturing right, but not the QC. In electronics defective units are usually binned. This is quality control. If a company decided to sell only perfect units, then they would bin any LCD with any defect. The price would spiral upward though and eventually, such a company would go bust. Either that or they just wouldnt sell these high-priced units.

Eventually what will happen is the cost of producing the LCD will be so cheap that the company will not hesitate to bin some panels that right now are making it to the consumer. The process has to mature though and as this happens, the quality control will work to a higher standard.

Back
Top Bottom