Battlefield 3 thread - Server details in opening post -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Snail, I didn't go full Gerard..never go full Gerard. It's the LAV / Dungpile I am learning atm.

For those that don't know the AA range is unlimited, even once you fire beyond the range where you get hitmarkers, it can still hit. Quoting a pro there, I am still cack in it.

Don't worry Snail, I didn't go full Gerard..never go full Gerard. It's the LAV / Dungpile I am learning atm.

Yawn, take you all night to think up that one? Funny thing is am talking about the facts, and the only people taking offense to it are people that use the cheap tactics concerned, aka the "MUST get to the top of the board regardless of how its done" crew. Your little cheap shots are more pathetic than the sad tactics you most likely employ.

Last edited:
Fair play, just don't like being called a noob for playing in the correct manner :)

Show me where you were called a "noob". Also LOL at "playing in the correct manner" if you're referring to hiding behind your main spawn spamming with a heli.

In other news, some of these servers are getting very Nazi in their restrictions, was just in one where it seemed anyone using a stinger or an m4 was getting auto kicked. They did flash the message "no ****ing stingers or igla" though, and that's literally how it was displayed in large fonts. :eek:

at the end of the day DICE forced the current play style that choppers play.

In the armored kill patch they

1) doubled the range of the stinger to help it reach the AC130
2) removed the gunner flares
3) "fixed" below radar so now stingers and IGLAs can lock on at any height

As a result of those moves, if you fly within stinger range of any infantry, you have a 5 second window when your ECM is running to protect you. After that you're vulnerable again for another 5 seconds with no defence.

Your only defence to that 5 second window is to get behind cover and run away. If no cover is available, your only hope is that you got out of range before your ECM runs out.

As a result the only way to play attack choppers properly is to do long strafing runs then nip straight into cover while your ECM reloads, or for maps without cover, just Stay out of range and use the TV missile. Case in point:

I had a few games last night on an instant vehicle respawn server, it was fairly easy to keep choppers at bay due to lack of double flares and below radar. They had some fairly good pilots so most of the time you would disable them and they would get to cover and repair, but its certainly a lot harder for choppers than it used to be. Me and a friend used to do very well with good communication a few patches ago, these days it just takes 2-3 people with stingers and it makes it almost impossible to get a good run.

I'm not sure if there will ever be a perfect compromise in a game like Battlefield due to the amount of different types of warfare. Hopefully with BF4 they will do more frequent patches to adjust balancing so we're not stuck with something broken for 3 months!

at the end of the day DICE forced the current play style that choppers play.

In the armored kill patch they

1) doubled the range of the stinger to help it reach the AC130
2) removed the gunner flares
3) "fixed" below radar so now stingers and IGLAs can lock on at any height

As a result of those moves, if you fly within stinger range of any infantry, you have a 5 second window when your ECM is running to protect you. After that you're vulnerable again for another 5 seconds with no defence.

Your only defence to that 5 second window is to get behind cover and run away. If no cover is available, your only hope is that you got out of range before your ECM runs out.

I'm pretty sure the patch made stingers revert to what their original range was, when the game launched they had a long range not sure how much if any armoured kill added to that, when they reduced the range it was laughably short.

As said ALL this crap could have been resolved in a proper beta on a map with air assets, not the incredibly limited time we got on laggy Caspian border servers when dice felt like giving out the password. They're the cause of the issue and their ""fixes" were just heavy handed and stupid, taking one extreme and going the other way with it. :mad:

Those who know, know. Those that don't moan about heli's on forums.

Those who know hide at the edge of the map because they're afraid they won't reach the stop of the scoreboard and it might affect their epeen points, is what I think you meant to say. :) SRS business this ranking in a online game ;)

I had a few games last night on an instant vehicle respawn server, it was fairly easy to keep choppers at bay due to lack of double flares and below radar. They had some fairly good pilots so most of the time you would disable them and they would get to cover and repair, but its certainly a lot harder for choppers than it used to be. Me and a friend used to do very well with good communication a few patches ago, these days it just takes 2-3 people with stingers and it makes it almost impossible to get a good run.

I'm not sure if there will ever be a perfect compromise in a game like Battlefield due to the amount of different types of warfare. Hopefully with BF4 they will do more frequent patches to adjust balancing so we're not stuck with something broken for 3 months!

Apparently (take this with a mountain of salt) BF4 won't be constrained by waiting for patches to be deployed on the console so updates should be more frequent. That's according to dice at least, whether or not it works out that way who knows.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the patch made stingers revert to what their original range was, when the game launched they had a long range not sure how much if any armoured kill added to that, when they reduced the range it was laughably short.

During the lifetime of BF3 the stingers have gone through many incarnations. They've adjusted lock on time, damage, range, the lot. They had no clue how to balance the game, and even now isn't properly balanced in my book because choppers are such easy prey for one guy with a stinger which requires no skill to use.

During the lifetime of BF3 the stingers have gone through many incarnations. They've adjusted lock on time, damage, range, the lot. They had no clue how to balance the game, and even now isn't properly balanced in my book because choppers are such easy prey for one guy with a stinger which requires no skill to use.

One of the pitfalls of modern combat and introducing the stinger as an infantry weapon. Its fine and dandy to do so but unless you figure out a way where Heli's aren't getting raped without making the stinger totally useless its going to lead to the current situation.

Personally I think if they reintroduced below radar to similar to what it was it might help matters, 25-30 feet and they don't lock on. This leaves the option of rpg's but as they're not lock on weapons it still requires the user to make the hit and not a computerised lock on gimmick.

That being said at this stage of BF3's life its surely not going to happen, it'll be lucky if it gets 1 or 2 more updates for the foreseeable future as they're obviously more focused on BF4.

Can anybody tell me why I get CPU spikes after a while, it seems to happen after a certain amount of messages have been displayed in the chat window.

From then on I get CPU spikes every time a message pops up and makes my framerate drop by 10-15 FPS.

I7 920 @ 4GHZ
2 X 7970s
Asus P6TD Deluxe (latest BIOS).
6GB Triple channel ram.
Corsair H50.
Corsair HX 850W PSU

I've tried everything known to man to try and fix it, all barring buying a new cooler (tops out at 65C in game). Ran the CPU at stock and it still does it.

Cheers fellas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom