Battlefield 3 thread - Server details in opening post -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Damn that looks rather good :D

I just really don't like the fact they've moved away from the half arsed realism bit and included New York and Paris as levels??

Soldato
Go for it, I'd like to see!

:edit: Something that does catch my eye is the difference between other character models and the player's own. Other player models tend to swing their rifle back and forth as they sprint, whereas the player's weapon stays relatively still.

It would be annoying as hell if your gun swung around like that from a fps pov though.

Love the model animations. Yeah feet firmly planted. They look weighty too. Smart.

Man of Honour
Yep you do, hence why its such a big deal with starting off on a new engine, you might be able to take textures etc, but lifting a render from an old engine and placing it to a new one, with animations etc just isnt somethign you can do, plus theirs absolutly no point.

Yes you can... what is your experience with 3D modelling?

Soldato
Yep you do, hence why its such a big deal with starting off on a new engine, you might be able to take textures etc, but lifting a render from an old engine and placing it to a new one, with animations etc just isnt somethign you can do, plus theirs absolutly no point.

They might make new animations for them but they'll still have the original model from before they compiled it for the game, people convert models between engines all the time.

Associate

was gonna say, of course you can, well said :) "renders" don't come into it here, really. it's about the original 3d model mesh (from their base DCC package - 3ds max etc or whatever they are using) and the textures, unwrapped or not. they can all be very easily updated a little and shoved into any new engine painlessly, including animation. same with other assets like the normal stuff floating around maps, bullets etc. even character models. makes total sense. I do this all the time with my architectural work. why remodel every sofa and armchair from scratch on each job when I can re-use the old stuff over and over and tweak as needed? saves time and money :)

speaking from experience here.

Soldato

Some years working in the industry for high rep company here in Belfast and will also be attending a workshop I got sponsored for working in Maya with kep workers that worked on the Avatar modelling.

Yes you can lift the simple basic modelling, but that would be a complete waste going to teh trouble or lifting it from an old engine to a new one.

Klo

Klo

Soldato

Some years working in the industry for high rep company here in Belfast and will also be attending a workshop I got sponsored for working in Maya with kep workers that worked on the Avatar modelling.

Yes you can lift the simple basic modelling, but that would be a complete waste going to teh trouble or lifting it from an old engine to a new one.

Zefen got owned.

I think the game looks pretty good, I'm not one of the BF2 hardcore, I never used commander and often ignored it if someone was playing it, so its removal doesn't bother me at all. The graphics look awesome!

Associate

How is it simpler/quicker/cheaper/better to have your staff totally remodel and re-texture and reanimate an asset that you already have in your studio's library? Doesn't make sense to me and I don't know any individual or studio that would do that when they have the better option available to them. Obviously you wouldn't do this for totally new content (as in new designs, not new versions of old designs).

No offence to you but the experience you've listed *sounds* good but I'm not convinced, based on what you're actually saying. An example being that you don't re-use "renders" in games, and in fact the only "renders" that ever show up in games are either cutscenes or pre-baked occlusion maps etc. I think you might be getting a little confused, that's all. Again, don't mean any offence by it :)

Soldato
How is it simpler/quicker/cheaper/better to have your staff totally remodel and re-texture and reanimate an asset that you already have in your studio's library? Doesn't make sense to me and I don't know any individual or studio that would do that when they have the better option available to them. Obviously you wouldn't do this for totally new content (as in new designs, not new versions of old designs).

No offence to you but the experience you've listed *sounds* good but I'm not convinced, based on what you're actually saying. An example being that you don't re-use "renders" in games, and in fact the only "renders" that ever show up in games are either cutscenes or pre-baked occlusion maps etc. I think you might be getting a little confused, that's all. Again, don't mean any offence by it :)
Ohh i never meant to imply it was cheaper or easier, i imagine getting the developers to work on a complete new engine from scratch is one he'll of an expense. It's kinda hard to explain, of course you can take the previous modelling, but, if you went to the trouble of a new engine, then it's gonna be used, and if they think theirs enough small changes, it's almost just easier to layout and start again, the kinda guys they have working there are industry leaders, it's honestly would take them that long overall in a project like this to put it together.

Soldato
PCGAMER's view on the BF3 single player gameplay.

I was impressed with almost everything about Battlefield 3. It’s beautiful, sounds awesome, and has some impressive destruction tech. But I wasn’t entirely convinced. For all the fire and fury of combat, the AI of the enemy soldiers didn’t impress, nor did your team-mate seem to want to help. That needs work. And I’m desperate to see what the developers do with Frostbite 2.0 in multiplayer. But, I came out grinning, if deafened. I can’t wait to play it. And I can’t wait to play it on PC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/02/battlefield-3-first-impressions-and-screenshots/

Soldato

Which is what you were denying is possible but now it appears its not?!

Soldato
Not really. What he said actually shows a lack of experience as it doesn't make sense.

Sorry im not trying to own anyone, you asked i answered, what might explain is i don't pretend to know the inside and outs of a gaming industry, my background is in graphic design that moved into VUE, Cinema4d, Maya etc, for ai could know you are absolute right, they lifted and touched up the textures.

But from my experience, unless stuck to a very tight deadline, we egerna,ly don't like to lift from previous jobs. Plus i kinda prefer it, yearly updates and updates to the softwares throughout the years means new tools short cuts etc, i like going back and working from the floor up.

Soldato
Which is what you were denying is possible but now it appears its not?!

Was it...sorry reading it back i suppose that's how it reads yes, so i honestly take that back, but really, theirs very little chance they havnt gone back and worked it from the ground up.

Caporegime
Was it...sorry reading it back i suppose that's how it reads yes, so i honestly take that back, but really, theirs very little chance they havnt gone back and worked it from the ground up.

no chance in one year ish they totally rebuilt a new engine game thats bs i know it we know it ;) thats why i said at the start but in the video thats just what the dice guy says.

we just hope they have guess we got plenty of time to see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom