Battlefield 3 thread - Server details in opening post -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
no chance in one year ish they totally rebuilt a new engine game thats bs i know it we know it ;) thats why i said at the start but in the video thats just what the dice guy says.

we just hope they have guess we got plenty of time to see :)

Whoa i never said they built an engine in a year lol! I meant from the weaponry POV, I'd be suprised if the team in charge didn't have to start over and make the guns, studying pictures, maybe even going to the gun range etc.

I believe the same team behind the sfx that where behind MOH and The BF series, still went out and did research for the sound, now IMO MOH from a sfx point of view has the best i have ever heard, the guns sounded amazing, yet they still went about remaking the SFX.

Associate
Some years working in the industry for high rep company here in Belfast and will also be attending a workshop I got sponsored for working in Maya with kep workers that worked on the Avatar modelling.

Yes you can lift the simple basic modelling, but that would be a complete waste going to teh trouble or lifting it from an old engine to a new one.

I work as an artist in the games industry and you seem to be generally talking out of your backside to put it politely.

Basic Modelling? Lifting a render? lifting from an old engine to a new?

What do you mean by basic modelling? blockouts? Everything from previous games is finished, is it not?

What the major troubles moving old stuff across? None, its all done in Maya, Max with standard files types. Its their exporters plugged in Maya that do the work. We export models from Maya to one format that can be used in all our engines from 3Ds to Ps3. So I would presume they use the same formats across the game for models, textures and animations to put into the engine like we do.

I am not sure if their assets will be re used from their libraries. We start a fresh most time but then the next game will be in a totally different setting. So I guess it is viable for Dice to re use (polish, edit) assets to save going over old ground.

I still don't know what you mean by 'lifting renders', like someone else said it sounds like your confused.

Obviously like someone else said they not been working on this for a year. Their tech department will have been working on the new engine for a long time. I am not sure of their infrastructure but i guess like us they will have several teams with varied experience.

Soldato
its like watching a movie, the technical achievements with this pre-alpha is amazing:
bf3_faultline_ep1_pegiwjjh.gif

I'd like to see more sway with the weapon when running. Look at your weapon and then look at the guy ahead. His rifle is all over the place and a lot more realistic.

Man of Honour
I'd like to see more sway with the weapon when running. Look at your weapon and then look at the guy ahead. His rifle is all over the place and a lot more realistic.

:edit: Something that does catch my eye is the difference between other character models and the player's own. Other player models tend to swing their rifle back and forth as they sprint, whereas the player's weapon stays relatively still.

:D

As someone said above though, I think that although it might seem like a good idea it's possible that it could cause a degree of motion sickness.

Soldato
Is that a cutscene though, because i can't see a weapon? I guess we won't know the true extent of BF:3 until the beta appears.

I'm not an expert, but i'd say those are ingame assets. Look at the guy throwing the grenade, the animation plays out, then he steps to the right as he pulls the gun up then he freezes in a 'ready' stance. If i'm right then that ready stance is the position characters stand in when not moving, so the throwing animation flowed perfectly into it.

if you see what i mean -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom