BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
what are you babbling on about?
the australian TV coverage has the english commentator feed

Yes, but we also have Australian adverts every 5 minutes. This season has been the most frustrating of all. You only have to look at the abuse oneHD and TEN get on twitter to understand this. The English commentary is irrelevant.

Also, I don't understand your point... Acid was talking about 'Austrian' TV and what would be the point their host broadcaster competing to air it, if it was freely available from another country via a live stream.

But anyway - back on topic, as has already been mentioned it's part of Murdoch's enterprise reporting on this, which one I always take with a pinch of salt and secondly, they love to stir up trouble when it comes to something that would benefit them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love the BBC F1 coverage, but I think it's pretty questionable value in the big picture. Mind you, I'd be surprised if ITV are willing to offer that much for it, and if it goes PPV - well, I'll probably just stop watching it.

Soldato
Bernie is committed to FTA and ITV basically don't want it so it makes sense by the BBC to rattle the cage a bit to get the price down. I can't see it going elsewhere.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I love the BBC F1 coverage, but I think it's pretty questionable value in the big picture. Mind you, I'd be surprised if ITV are willing to offer that much for it, and if it goes PPV - well, I'll probably just stop watching it.

TBH, as has already been said, the figures quoted within are as valid as any of the other crap Murdoch's lot churn out on a daily basis. That is, not credible in the slightest.

Soldato
Murdoch paper in thinly-veiled swipe at BBC whilst Sky sniffs around F1 rights and CVC stake shocker.

Nothing to see here, move along. If the Beeb do axe F1, they won't do it mid-way through a contract they've already committed to paying.

Soldato
If F1 ends up on a subscription service like Sky, then sadly I won't be watching any more. I simply couldn't justify paying a Sky subscription at £25ish a month for perhaps eight hours of viewing for the whole month. Apparently it's a choice between F1 or BBC4. I'd much rather they kept F1 and ditched the channel, to be honest, and it would make sense for them to do so.

Associate
BBC4 is great, I wouldn't want to lose that or F1. BBC4 is where the BBC has shunted all of it's niche/public service stuff so that they can fill BBC1 & BBC2 with cheap LCD crap. Programmes like 'Chemistry: A Volatile History' simply can't be found anywhere else.

BBC3 on the other hand is a complete waste of bandwidth.

Soldato
BBC4 is great, I wouldn't want to lose that or F1. BBC4 is where the BBC has shunted all of it's niche/public service stuff so that they can fill BBC1 & BBC2 with cheap LCD crap. Programmes like 'Chemistry: A Volatile History' simply can't be found anywhere else.

BBC3 on the other hand is a complete waste of bandwidth.

The problem there is that BBC3 gets twice (1.6% compared to 0.8%) the audience that BBC4 does, even if it is pretty much all pants (the only things I watch are Family Guy and American Dad >.<). I myself like BBC4 at times, but I've never seen why the good programmes from there can't be put on to one of the major channels as they are far more interesting than most other things on there. But when it comes to F1, the viewing figures are massively higher than anything on BBC4, so if it comes down to which makes the most sense, I'd say that it would be F1.

Caporegime
what are you babbling on about?
the australian TV coverage has the english commentator feed

Austria != Australia

LOL! Time for some humble pie arknor?

Bernie is committed to FTA and ITV basically don't want it so it makes sense by the BBC to rattle the cage a bit to get the price down. I can't see it going elsewhere.

How committed though, really? Got any links?

Soldato
Even if there were links to something Bernie said to prove he's commited to FTA, we all know what he's like when it comes to changing his mind, eg. Bahrain.

And all it takes to change Ecclestones mind is a big bucket of money. Which he then has to give half of to his wife.

Soldato
Even if there were links to something Bernie said to prove he's commited to FTA, we all know what he's like when it comes to changing his mind, eg. Bahrain.

And all it takes to change Ecclestones mind is a big bucket of money. Which he then has to give half of to his wife.

Whilst I generally think that Bernie is in it for the money, I do think he is genuinely commited to FTA. Why? Simply because the teams and sponsors want it, and without those, Bernie doesn't make the money he wants.

Some links for Robbie G:

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/170482...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ie-Ecclestone-wants-Formula-One-stay-BBC.html

Soldato
OP

The teams will make more money if its free to air than if its subscription. Bernie has said many times over the years that FTA is how it needs to be as have the teams. If it was subscription based the likes of Renault would finally end their f1 campaign as would Mercedes probably.

If less people can see it, the sponsors will pay less, if the sponsors will pay less, the teams have less to spend on the cars. Bernie is a money grabbing ******* whore of a goat, but he will make F1 stay FTA.

Soldato
Axe the pointless BBC4, no brainer really. Most of the content is rubbish and anything worth watching gets repeated on bbc1/2 shortly after anyway. Axe BBC3 for sure too, 100% of the content on there is drivel.

Caporegime
It's just part of the bargaining process. BBC got screwed over with the last deal, everyone knows they paid over the odds for a race series no one else wanted to pay for at the time.

They were fooled into paying more than they should, BBC are just using the popularity they now have to try to negotiate a cheaper more realistic deal.

If it wne to pay per view type TV f1 would be dead in the water.

Soldato
Simply because the teams and sponsors want it, and without those, Bernie doesn't make the money he wants.
Exactly.

If you think about it, Formula One is pretty much the only programme on the BBC where advertising is so blithely accepted. For the cost of a minor sponsorship, you can get your product shown on TV several times during a 2 hour race. If you're one of the manufacturers, hell, you not only get the viewings, the commentators even mention your name repeatedly! 8 million people, hearing your name, god knows how many times an hour. Ker-ching.

When you consider that this is on the advert-free BBC as well, it's quite a coup really. If any other programme had that much product placement, there's be outrage. Imagine if Manchester United became Red Bull United? Scandal.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
**** me sideways....

Once again, with feeling:

pitpass in an article said:
As [Williams Chairman Adam Parr] knows all too well, F1 doesn't chase the highest buck when it comes to the sale of television rights. It is a rare case of Ecclestone having a driving force other than money and it is in the best interest of teams like Parr's. We are talking of course about the fact that Ecclestone deliberately sells F1's TV rights to free to air broadcasters in order to ensure that the teams get the maximum exposure to TV viewers so that they can command high sponsorship values.

Bernie knows full well that F1 needs to be on FTA TV. It would have to be a truly stupendous figure to end up solely on a PPV or subscription-only channel - the kind of figure that would send men to the Moon. And come on - it doesn't really make great business sense to chase a high number for broadcast rights if by doing so most of the sponsors bugger off and most of the teams fold does it? Bernie may be many things, but he certainly isn't that much of a ****.

Oh, wait a minute. Sorry, forgot where I was. This is OcUK, where Bernie is akin to Satan. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom