Being Sued by Atari/Davenport !

Davenport are trying to claim money by menace which in itself is dishonest, the law should be change so that it is illegal to directly claim a sum not set by the court.

In civil matters you are encouraged to come to an agreement before taking it to court, it is legal, right and appropriate that they offer settlement first.

In civil matters you are encouraged to come to an agreement before taking it to court, it is legal, right and appropriate that they offer settlement first.

Why come to an agreement when they contect you out of the blue, they are trying to claim you owe them but you have never had dealings with them.

this keyboard warrior business is not only tired, it's entirely irrelevant.

Pathetic post TBH, how much money you have doesn't make a difference to if you feel it's Ok to be dishonest or not.

Well of course it does, you can afford to choose to pay for your hedonism. I cannot, but that's not going to stop me leading as fulfilled and colourful a life as you have. Why should it?

To rip off games music and films because you're too tight or lazy to earn the money to pay for them is just down to greed and your level of honesty.

I'm neither tight, nor lazy, nor any other negative "working class" adjectives you wish to bander around. I work hard in a job i enjoy and i shall spread the money i earn out into as many facets as possible; and this choice of mine allows me to do that. Putting as little in to get as much as i can out is a pretty basic philosphy that has served me pretty well.

If you're happy to be dishonest and rip stuff off, fine, that's your business but don't try and ridicule people for saying hoensty is a good thing ffs :rolleyes:
i'm not ridiculing people or said that honesty is a bad thing, what a preposterous suggestion; you've called me pathetic, lazy, tight and dishonest and I'M ridiculing people?

ps. Calling some rich kid a rich kid isn't ridiculing him, its bloody true!

B@Th*nG

Why come to an agreement when they contect you out of the blue, they are trying to claim you owe them but you have never had dealings with them.

Are you trying to be obtuse? They are acting on behalf of the copyright owner (legitimately) claiming that they have proof you (not literally *you*) were involved in the unauthorised distribution of copyrighted material. Rather than try and take it straight to court which is liable to cost both you and them more money, they offer a settlement instead. Where is the menace?

Are you trying to be obtuse? They are acting on behalf of the copyright owner (legitimately) claiming that they have proof you (not literally *you*) were involved in the unauthorised distribution of copyrighted material. Rather than try and take it straight to court which is liable to cost both you and them more money, they offer a settlement instead. Where is the menace?

The act of claiming damages totaling £500 is in itself menacing. As for their proof its nothing more than an IP address assigned to a mac. Around these parts NTL boxs are doing the rounds that give free net access all you need is a mac and you can download all you like. Thats so long as you ask the right person. Is an IP address proof that an individual downloaded a game, individual. Where is there proof that an individual downloaded with intent to infringe copyright of game x y z?

They do not care who downloaded it, they will charge the person who is paying for the connection used for the download. In the T&C's you are responsible for the content you download and to have your network secured.

The act of claiming damages totaling £500 is in itself menacing. As for their proof its nothing more than an IP address assigned to a mac. Around these parts NTL boxs are doing the rounds that give free net access all you need is a mac and you can download all you like. Thats so long as you ask the right person. Is an IP address proof that an individual downloaded a game, individual. Where is there proof that an individual downloaded with intent to infringe copyright of game x y z?
Continuing to claim it is menacing without providing any corroboration isn't likely to make me believe you. The "proof" is an IP address and a statement from the ISP stating who that IP address was assigned to at the time the infringement was noted. Do NTL use DHCP? Then they will log which boxes were leased which IPs and who whose account those boxes are assigned to. And they don't need incontrovertible proof that a specific individual was involved (and again the issue isn't downloading, it's unauthorised distribution), the person who "owns" the line is responsible for the data that comes down it, unless they have a convincing enough reason why they shouldn't be, and the arbiter of whether that reason is convincing enough will be first, the party claiming infringement, and if they don't believe you, a judge.

Can the pro- and anti-piracy debaters PLEASE STOP TRASHING THE THREAD??? I'm actually interested to see what happens to the OP and others in this situation, so please go start an "Is piracy wrong?" thread and flame each other in there, I might even come join you.

If this degenerates into a rampant flamewar it'll just get closed and we won't find out what happens.

this keyboard warrior business is not only tired, it's entirely irrelevant.

Well of course it does, you can afford to choose to pay for your hedonism. I cannot, but that's not going to stop me leading as fulfilled and colourful a life as you have. Why should it?

I'm neither tight, nor lazy, nor any other negative "working class" adjectives you wish to bander around. I work hard in a job i enjoy and i shall spread the money i earn out into as many facets as possible; and this choice of mine allows me to do that. Putting as little in to get as much as i can out is a pretty basic philosphy that has served me pretty well.

i'm not ridiculing people or said that honesty is a bad thing, what a preposterous suggestion; you've called me pathetic, lazy, tight and dishonest and I'M ridiculing people?

ps. Calling some rich kid a rich kid isn't ridiculing him, its bloody true!

B@Th*nG
Wow - huge chip on your shoulder there. You're the one inferring that someone who is "working class" should be dishonest, because they can't afford every luxury (not essential, luxury) they want not me. How about you stop making assumptions on how well off people are when clearly you have no idea. The "you can afford to be honest, you're rich" whining is tired and just plain wrong to be honest. Other than exceptional circumstances honesty is entirely a matter of personal choice and nothing to do with wealth (or have you never seen honest "poor people" or thieving rich city workers)? You want to live beyond your means so you choose to be dishonest, face up to it and stopo trying to excuse it as some sort of class thing. By your logic millionaires are justified using fraud to get free 1st class tickets everywhere because they choose to spend the rest of their money on booze and ferraris and so can't keep up with the multi millionaires.

Your attempt to pin you choice to be dishonest somehow to being OK because you're "working class" fails tbh.

You freely admit to being dishonest and that's entirely up to you, but don't tar everyone else who isn't "rich" in your mind with the same brush eh?

Last edited:
Wow - huge chip on your shoulder there. You're the one saying people that are "working class" or not well off are automatically dishonest, not me. In fact I said the opposite.

You freely admit to being dishonest and that's entirely up to you, but don't tar everyone else who isn't "rich" in your mind with the same brush eh?

wow, you really know how to cut to the core of me baxter.
ee3de3bd.jpg

you avoided my entire argument, well done.

B@Th*nG

If this degenerates into a rampant flamewar it'll just get closed and we won't find out what happens.

Good!

There's one of these threads at least once a month, where we have half the thread blatantly admitting to piracy, and yet the threads stay open. The FAQ state that no warez talk will take place, and yet people in this thread have discussed how best not to get caught downloading pirated material.

Back
Top Bottom