Being Sued by Atari/Davenport !

I knew OCUK held some scumbags but I'd never think that they'd have so many people supporting game piracy. I guess none of you know how much work it takes to develop a successful game.

It's not just about supporting piracy. It's also about our privacy (why should the ISP give our information out so freely?). It's about stupid letters in the post, they're not summons, they're just threatening letters I'm suprised it hasn't been on Watchdog or some other such program as it's a threat. As they're not addressed to an individual I've seen in the past the letters hit people who have only just moved in and then when they have called them its the 'you'll have to pay attitude'.

I'm guessing the posters who condone piracy and want to see them hung have never done anything wrong in there entire life? Never copied a game, never watched a copied VHS tape or DVD? Never stolen? Never gotten into fights? Never gotten drunk?

If you can honestly say no to the above then, damn, you have a dull life.

M.

Oh how I love these threads.
All the pirate supports come out of the woodwork and spout their usual **** as a form of justification of what they do:

1. Games & music are too expensive.
Then don't buy them or download them. Games & music are not a right and I'm sorry but there will always be people richer than others.

2. I illegally download - but I go out and buy everything I like and use.
Yes of course you do...in that wonderful world you call dream world!
You can hear the majority of music before you buy already and I cannot remember the last time a game was released without a demo being released.
That is the idea of the demo.

3. I'm stealing from a faceless organisation - so it doesn't matter.
One of my favourites and really doesn't warrant an answer.

4. What is all this about criminals getting money - I paid nothing for my illegal, the world owes me a living stuff.
Oh boy, you've got a lot to learn - so naive, it's almost sweet.
If you think that software piracy and other illegal activities are a million miles away from other, much more serious crimes you are so wrong.

5. I wouldn't have bought it anyway
And that gives you the right to own the item how exactly?
This has got to be one of the most pathetic justifications this world has ever seen.

OP - I think I'd just recommend what others have said.
Bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away.
If however it doesn't then some of the suggestions here will fail.
Denial of knowledge is not a valid defence.
Buying the game at a date later than you illegally downoaded it is not a defence.
But good luck anyway - however you deserve what ya get if you've been thieving.

* I know that basically it isn't really theft.
However somebody stealing your car also isn't called "theft" - however in my eyes it's all the same thing.
You're taking stuff without paying for it!
THERE'S THE MORAL HIGHGROUND I WAS LOOKING FOR!
I knew OCUK held some scumbags but I'd never think that they'd have so many people supporting game piracy. I guess none of you know how much work it takes to develop a successful game.
Hmm, sorry calling someone who pirates a scumbag is just retarded.

What would a child rapist be? A super scumbag? Or are we all thrown into the same bag? If so I might go and dabble in some drugs, beat some old people up and nick some cars!

Oh how I love these threads.
All the pirate supports come out of the woodwork and spout their usual **** as a form of justification of what they do:
Oh, how I love these threads. All these people who have never ever broken the law come out of the woodwork, etc etc.

2. I illegally download - but I go out and buy everything I like and use.
Yes of course you do...in that wonderful world you call dream world!
You can hear the majority of music before you buy already and I cannot remember the last time a game was released without a demo being released.
That is the idea of the demo.
Neverwinter Nights 2? As an example.

I buy games. I pirate others. Even the games I buy, where possible I'll play with no-cd cracks, which is also illegal. But I don't like to mess around with swapping CDs when I want to play a different game. The only games I don't do this for are online games, obviously. Should I be fined for that as well?

Some games end up being far too pants to buy, games that don't have decent demos out or limit you to 10 minutes only for example. Those are the games people should download before buying just to see just WHY no demo was made or WHY a time limit was set etc. Devs like VALVE have the right idea for game demos giving away free unlimited use weekends on release of new games and existing game updates like TF2.

Scumbags? Over my life time I have bought thousands of games. I have lost count of the number of games that were not finished, bug ridden, other drivel or just not worth the price tag. Game developers are to blame for piracy, with the exception of a few like Blizzard. If they make good games and support them they will sell, the thing is they don't. Take Atari its an old name bought buy a new company in the hope that it will sell their games, their games don't get the return they wanted so they run to the courts or the threat of it blaming p2p downloaders.

Scumbags? Drug dealers, rapists and murders. Downloaders? Get real. :rolleyes:

What would happen if say, you sourced a genuine copy of test drive, scratched the disc ,then claimed you were merely trying to get a playable copy? Because then surely you have licence to play the game given that you own a genuine copy?

Start renting games, That'll show you whats worth buying, There's alternatives to flat out breaking the law.

People who are just justifying it to themselves, there is no justification in it.

You feel the games weren't up to standard.
You feel they are charging too much.

So you go out and buy copies, Download and burn copies.

You're breaking the law and deserve what you get if anything ever comes to happens.

So you have never done anything "illegal"?

or owned something illegal?

Everyone knows it takes a lot of time, creativity (in some cases) and hard work to design, build a game but people are not made out of money. Sure you can have a go at people for doing so but the end comes to what they can afford.

The games market today is mostly appointed at kids, who beleive it or not dont have a lot of money and see when friends get a new game have to get it as well.

The only suggestion i have advised my friends with to stop downloaded pirated stuff is to subscribe to a rental service which is not that expensive. But then again theirs the argument of buying second hand games as developers get no money out of that.

I bought GRID because I liked the demo, and was expecting the game to be Gran Turismo esque. I wish I hadn't. I wish I had got a pirate played it a bit then got rid. I downloaded crysis (who didn't) tried it, and then bought it, but to be fair the Crysis demo was a fair representation of the final game, so pirating wasn't necassary. However I don't torrent, I use megaupload, which I pay to use, any ideas on how illegal this is?

Start renting games, That'll show you whats worth buying, There's alternatives to flat out breaking the law.

People who are just justifying it to themselves, there is no justification in it.

You feel the games weren't up to standard.
You feel they are charging too much.

So you go out and buy copies, Download and burn copies.

You're breaking the law and deserve what you get if anything ever comes to happens.

Or try the demo, thing is they stoped releasing demos.

Or try the demo, thing is they stoped releasing demos.

Not every developer releases a demo for their game, I nearly bought Turning Point but decided to wait to see what people thought of it.

Thank got i waited and did not pay £40 for what seems now a truly awful game. I do also beleive what others say by releasing the full game for a day or two so people cannot complain then (over steam).

Back
Top Bottom