Being Sued by Atari/Davenport !

Associate
Let just for argument sake..... If I downloaded the game and receive the letter.. Can I go out and buy the game and tell them I actually own the game but I download it because I lost the disk? Isn't there something about you allow to have a copy?

Soldato
not so much that but why not pay for it? if its worth playing get ya money out if not stop being a theif. If i fancied your tv would it be ok for me to come take it out your house?

Piracy isn't theft, it's piracy.

Theft steals the original; piracy makes a copy.

The correct analogy for piracy would be "Would you like it if I went into your house and copied all your CDs and DVDs to my laptop?"

Last edited:
Soldato
not so much that but why not pay for it? if its worth playing get ya money out if not stop being a theif. If i fancied your tv would it be ok for me to come take it out your house?

If you could clone it like any computer data without any costs for yourself, while keeping the original for me, then go ahead, like with torrents :).

OT:
Ignore them fools, they don't do nowt. If you have to use torrents ( as in you don't want to pay for a news server or your isp doesn't give you a free one), use small-mid sized private sites (invitation only), make sure you set utorrent to force outgoing encryption, and remove ''allow legacy connections''. All that's left to encrypt is the tracker announces but that aside everything is encrypted and there's little chance of a private site being infiltrated by anti piracy... Your isp can not see what you're actually down/uploading as it's encrypted...

They have no right spying on your data traffic in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato

The correct analogy for piracy would be "Would you like it if I went into your house and copied all your CDs and DVDs to my laptop?"

If someones got several months spare to go through all my CDs and DVDs and burn them 1 by 1 then be my guest :p

Associate
I've no problems with people breaking the copyright laws....I own a couple thousand pirated dvds/Cd's and the odd game :D

However, if I get caught I'm not going to cry about any punishments thrown my way.

Permabanned

no its not
its like you designing somthing say you spent 5 years of your life amd £100,000 of your own money developing it.
you make £10 profit from all your har work but some joe average theif makes £1000 for making copys then its not exactly fair is it

people who copy games/cd's/video's are common crooks and are spoiling new releases for us who are willing to pay

if more people were took to court in the first place maybe things would be diffrent

Last edited:
Associate
no its not
its like you designing somthing say spent 5 yars of your life then you start to sell it
you make £10 from it but some other theif makes £1000 not exactly fair is it

imo people who copy games/cd's/video's are common crooks and are spoiling new releases for us who are willing to pay

if more people were took to court in the first place maybe things would be diffrent

Why pay £15-20 for a dvd when I can buy a copied version (of the same quality) for £2.50-£3??

Soldato
Well i think that being sued is fair if you downloaded the game illegally.

i dont download a hell of a lot of illegal stuff such as films, music, software etc but if i get cought i'll pay the fine.

ive downloaded whatever, used it and i *should* be paying for it.

until i or you get cought Happy Downloading!

StevenG

Soldato
Step one: Pretend it isn't happening, bin every letter you get etc.

Step two: If it goes further, denial is your friend, deny you downloaded anything, deny you ever got letters.

Step three: If it goes further again forfill Jack Thompson's expectations of you as a thieving game player and go on a gun rampage.

Man of Honour
I use P2P for old TV programs that have already been shown on BBC.

It's probably still illegal, but I'm morally OK with it because I've paid for a license already. If the BBC had a complete archive on iplayer, I'd use that instead.

I think games are actually cheap, anyway. Divide the price by the number of hours played at it usually works out cheap for entertainment. Although I'd prefer to pay and then download a copy that doesn't have crappy copy protection on it.

Besides, wait a few months and you can get it from a swapshop for half the price. I'm currently playing Port Royale 2, a great game that I bought for £3.50 from a swapshop.

Soldato
...there's little chance of a private site being infiltrated by anti piracy...
Erm have you ever heard of EliteTorrents? OiNK? Private trackers which were all infiltrated and the admins arrested!

They have no right spying on your data traffic in the first place.
Just playing devils advocate here but you don't exactly have the right to download the data in the first place ;):p

Step one: Pretend it isn't happening, bin every letter you get etc.
Step two: If it goes further, denial is your friend, deny you downloaded anything, deny you ever got letters.
Step three: If it goes further again forfill Jack Thompson's expectations of you as a thieving game player and go on a gun rampage.

http://torrentfreak.com/court-hits-bittorrent-users-who-failed-to-appear-080702/

"The victories claimed by Davenport Lyons at Central London County Court on behalf of publisher Topware were all achieved by way of so-called ‘default judgment’. In basic terms, this means that as the individuals accused didn’t bother to turn up at court or even answer court documents, the court had no alternative than to hand victory to Davenport Lyons and Topware."

So as long as the letters are not court docs seems like ignoring them is ok!

Last edited:
Caporegime
no its not
its like you designing somthing say you spent 5 years of your life amd £100,000 of your own money developing it.
you make £10 profit from all your har work but some joe average theif makes £1000 for making copys then its not exactly fair is it

people who copy games/cd's/video's are common crooks and are spoiling new releases for us who are willing to pay

Companies don't deserve £50 for a game license that cost them £5 overall, when they get greedy so do customers and they stop paying for it. It's a fair system. EA choose to put a price tag of £50 on their games when they are making hundreds of millions in profit after paying their CEO's 6 figure salaries and buying another 10 game studios.

Last edited:
Soldato
Companies don't deserve £50 for a game license that cost them £5 overall, when they get greedy so do customers and they stop paying for it. It's a fair system. EA choose to put a price tag of £50 on their games when they are making hundreds of millions in profit.

Since when was it wrong for them to make a profit? If you don't like the price, don't pay it, if enough people aren't prepared to pay the prices then either they'll drop the price or someone else will try and tap the market. None of that gives you any right, legal or moral, to just take a copy for yourself.

Caporegime
Since when was it wrong for them to make a profit? If you don't like the price, don't pay it, if enough people aren't prepared to pay the prices then either they'll drop the price or someone else will try and tap the market. None of that gives you any right, legal or moral, to just take a copy for yourself.

I never said it did, just that people will. It's called business, you don't give customers what they want, you die.

Profit it one thing, profiteering is not good for anyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the state this country is in I'm suprised they're not saying they will send you to jail for 10 years for this offence but let you off if you then murdered someone on the way there.

I'd much rather someone steal software than hurt someone so it's on my books as a very mundane thing. If they charged less for games as well they'd make more money instead of the horrendous price tags you see nowadays. I always buy budget games as well.

Surely, to get the full evidence, the company connecting would have to download the entire program to see if it is what it is labelled as. Surely you can't get charged with downloading, say, test drive, if in reality it's a demo or something.

M.

Soldato
Let just for argument sake..... If I downloaded the game and receive the letter.. Can I go out and buy the game and tell them I actually own the game but I download it because I lost the disk? Isn't there something about you allow to have a copy?

I think a guy went to court and argued that had he not bought the pirate copies of some DVD's he would never have bought the originals after. I don't know if this held up though.

Back
Top Bottom