Best Amiga game ever?

Soldato
I've loads of Amiga stuff, most away in boxes. I've got an A1200 with a 68030 @ 50Mhz /16Mb Ram, 200Mb Hard Disk and a CD32 that are still out and used.

Soldato
nands said:
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Bubble Bobble, I must have spent every Saturday night round at a mates house playing that until Hitman and Her came on! That is until we completed it!!

Reading through it is pretty clear that the Bitmap Brothers games are leading followed by Cinemaware games. I reckon that is about right.

IK+ was the first and best fighting game I ever played and Lotus was the first and best driving game.

For me I played Bubble Bobble and IK+ both on the Commodore 64 - my brother used to love it to bits (and even got it on the PS1) never really completed it and always used to run out of continues near the end!

Great games!

Macca

Associate
Amiga provided a lot of first time experiences.

The first Amiga game I saw running was Battle Squadron, a scrolling shooter which at the time was arcade machine quality, with amazing music, just blew me away.

Stunt Car Racer was probalby one of the first "LAN party" games I ever played. Serial Network IIRC and it was awesome.

MusicX, first MIDI composing experience, linked to a rubbish Yamaha PSR keyboard. First time "tracking" music with Protracker, MED and then OctaMED.

Bomberman, first time I played a game using 2 joysticks! We used to play 4 player bomberman with 2 people and it was just utter mayhem quality fun.

Commodore RGB monitor, first colour (RGB) monitor I ever owned.

I'm sure there are many other firsts :)

Nobody mentioned Shadow of Beast yet? The first game made a software publisher (Psygnosis) from pure hype? :)

On a related note, games-wise History Line was also superb with 2 players and hasn't been metioned. (The Settlers post reminded me of it). Flood was probably the first Bullfrog game I ever played.

Soldato
Genoma said:
The first Amiga game I saw running was Battle Squadron, a scrolling shooter which at the time was arcade machine quality, with amazing music, just blew me away.

Thats a good point, what about first time experiences?

My first amiga experience was at my cousins house. Until then it was all C64s, I must have been 8 years old at the time. Anyways, I went up to my cousins room when we arrived to see my uncle and my cousin staring at a tv. The lights were off, and I could hear wind howling and the cracking of thunder. I moved round to get a view of the tv... oblivious to the danger on high! :D

Yes thats right, it was the shadow of the beast 2 intro and that memory has been burned into my mind! I was so blown away by it, I still remember the shivers it gave me as I saw those wings emerge. From that moment on my life was changed. Shame the game was a farce to play!

What about you guys, first amiga experience?

Soldato
geeza said:
oh my god. that was a game and a half!

Anyone remember Banshee (vertically scrolling shooter, A1200 and above only)
Walker was cool
Nother one I liked was "Reunion"
K240 (utopia 2 or 3)

UFO: Enemy Unknown was good but works better in a PC dos box (with scrolling and speed turned ALLLL the way down and something in the background eating at the CPU somewhat).

I think theres prob a bit of a market for a few of these to get a refresh. Alien Breed would make a fairly badass shooter with the weapon upgrades etc - would prob do ok as it was with a graphical face-lift TBH :)

Speedball 2/brutal sports were both awesome games - might try and locate an A1200 one day - still have most of my games for it tucked away at my parents place :)

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a game out very similar to Alien Breed called Shadowgrounds (at least I think it's out) which you guys may like - I've played the beta and was impressed - a bit too easy IMHO though.

http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/new/http://www.shadowgrounds.com/

K240 (Utopia 2) was great fun I got a bit fed up of the off-screen destruction in Utopia so it was a bit more refreshing.

Agree with UFO I completed it firstly on a PS1 funnily enough!

Walker was okay but nothing special.

Macca

Man of Honour
Wow, so many great games...

..but does anyone remember the shareware game of Extreme Violence (hope I didn't miss this already being mentioned in the thread)?

That was REALLY cool...

Soldato
this thread has brought a small tear to my eyes lol.

I know and loved most of the games in this thread.

I will admit i used to copy a lot of amiga games, and nothing brings back memories like the coca cola disk copy proggy lol. When booted up it had a coca cola advert on it.

I had loads of original games also before anyone starts.

I also loved the jaguar xj220 game, turrican II, Walker was ace. What was the wwI shooter, you flew a sopworth camel. Diff types of missions.

All the alien breed stuff was ace. ace was project x.

Moonstone.
Eye of the beholder series.
Theme Park.

Most of my time was spent on settlers, playing split screen at a mates, and also multi player stuncar racer.

Blimey so much fun was had on the a600 then the a1200

Soldato
Aekeron said:
Wow, so many great games...

..but does anyone remember the shareware game of Extreme Violence (hope I didn't miss this already being mentioned in the thread)?

That was REALLY cool...

I was trying to think of the name of that one! Quality. 2 player split screen wasnt it? :D

Associate
Does anyone remember playing a demo or special mode of Sensible soccer where the ball was actually a grenade which would glow before exploding and then kill the players near it. So much fun playing 2 player and blowing up your opponents goal keeper :D

EDIT: Aha: http://hol.abime.net/3856/screenshot

Last edited:
Soldato
Frosti said:
Does anyone remember playing a demo or special mode of Sensible soccer where the ball was actually a grenade which would glow before exploding and then kill the players near it. So much fun playing 2 player and blowing up your opponents goal keeper :D

EDIT: Aha: http://hol.abime.net/3856/screenshot

:eek: Forgotten all about that! Nice one. :p

pic_full.php

I remember holding that disk! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
cannon fodder easily :D

i love starting a new game and seeing how fair i can get with jools and joops :D

how did the music go? was it: war, i never had so much fun, war, i never had so much fun, go to your brother kill him with ya gun, leave him lieing in his uniform dieing in the sun... do do do do do dooo

or something like that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom