Best Retro Handheld

Associate
That Retroflag GPI looks great, tempted to do something myself but this is the first I have seen them, have to have a read up as would like a little retro handheld but don't want to spend too much. SNES, Megadrive and gameboy sort of emulation

Get a Miyoo Mini Plus or the RG35xx. It will play up to PS1 perfect. There is a GPi2 Case with a slightly bigger screen, but I think it would cost more to build a GPi (factoring the need to the Pi Zero 2) than to just buy one of the other handhelds.

Soldato
I can't see how the near £200 price difference is worth it going from the RG35XX to the Pocket.

Yes the screen is drastically better, but £200 better?

Soldato
I can't see how the near £200 price difference is worth it going from the RG35XX to the Pocket.

My second RG35XX was £43 delivered.
Isnt the pocket analogue £250 if its in stock?
Analogue can only play game cartidges of gameboy, GBC and GBA right? So its not a full multisysyem device like everything else?

Soldato

Pocket is fpga though so your paying for the better accuracy. Personally not for me as the device is pretty limiting and I don't like analogues business model and general lack of core development.
Have a mister though and would always recommend that for at home playing, a portable mister would be amazing though.

Caporegime
My second RG35XX was £43 delivered.
Isnt the pocket analogue £250 if its in stock?
Analogue can only play game cartidges of gameboy, GBC and GBA right? So its not a full multisysyem device like everything else?

There is a ROM scene for that where the OS can handly it through SD card i think, but yes, at that point....you might as well stick to cheaper devices.

Associate
Yes, I'm biased but RG35xx any day for the price. Did a lot of research before purchasing one and spent loads of time on it whilst flying, waiting at the Doctors/Dentist etc. A few of my pals I've shown it to, love it also and have purchased one. Get one with the specific case included and at least a new 128GB memory card as the included 64GB one WILL fail after a few months.

Soldato
I have a RG350(Plastic one not metal) and not played for a while, the firmware (Even the custom ones) were not great and still had the older 320x240 screen but for the price it was a bit of fun The only thing i did find a bit poor was that i had the smoke translucient one and there was a couple of LEDs that were on the board but not covered very well and could see them right in your eyeline when playiing. The new RG405M and V look great, good power, has Android OS and a much better screen. That said the V looks a bit chunky.

Soldato
My son wants to play through all of the old Zelda games, what console would people recommend for this?
I can see a lot of comments about the RG35XX in this thread, what console/generation would this allow him to play up to?

And do these consoles generally come with an SD card with all of the games already on them?

Thanks.

Soldato
RG35xx will play everything flawlessly up until Playstation.

So if your old Zelda games include the N64 and Gamecube your out of luck.

Can't really talk about ROMs without getting this thread locked but I will say the collections that come with these handhelds are often poorly sourced and have problems saving or game breaking glitches in them.

Soldato
Pocket is fpga though so your paying for the better accuracy. Personally not for me as the device is pretty limiting and I don't like analogues business model and general lack of core development.
Have a mister though and would always recommend that for at home playing, a portable mister would be amazing though.

As a new Pocket owner I would say the screen + FPGA is worth the extra if it covers the systems you want to play - obv it cannot compete with the Odin 2 etc for the more modern machines but thats not of interest to me personally, it basically is a portable MiSTer for 8-16bit home and handheld stuff with some incredible arcade cores too.

As a cart playing device its stunning, there isnt a portable machine going that plays Gameboy / Color / Advance stuff as well and I include the various modded OG machines - the screens used on those are frankly disappointing in comparison.

Its not prefect, the form factor is perfect for GB / GBC but not for others but I've still been playing Snes / Megadrive games etc with my jaw on the floor - its like a handheld Super NT and levels above any other emulator machine ive used - mostly due to the screen, I’m not bashing emulation as such as they all do a great job in the main these days but the screen - wow!

Soldato
My son wants to play through all of the old Zelda games, what console would people recommend for this?
I can see a lot of comments about the RG35XX in this thread, what console/generation would this allow him to play up to?

And do these consoles generally come with an SD card with all of the games already on them?

Thanks.
I have the RG35XX, it's great for the price but I can't play it for long due to the form factor. Might be great for your son if he has smaller hands but personally I find it too small to be comfortable.

I'm happy with a 3.5" screen but much prefer a horizontal device. I'm looking at the RG353PS, it's only £100 delivered from the UK (so no waiting 7 weeks from China or additional taxes), not the highest spec but ticks all my boxes.

Soldato
RG35xx will play everything flawlessly up until Playstation.

So if your old Zelda games include the N64 and Gamecube your out of luck.

Can't really talk about ROMs without getting this thread locked but I will say the collections that come with these handhelds are often poorly sourced and have problems saving or game breaking glitches in them.
N64 works fine on Batacera on the RG35XX... so not out of luck :)

Back
Top Bottom